Denver just got decidedly better!

5 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

The Broncos match up well with the Chiefs - always, for some reason.  Even when the Chiefs are decidedly better, they tend to keep the score close.  Shoot, we barely beat them by 4-points in January.  Even a modestly competent QB probably splits with the Chiefs the last several years.  Denver just got a bunch better and now you can bet your aunt Susie's favorite hat Von Miller is coming back as a FA.  They have a very good defense, excellent receivers and the rookie RB they got last year looks promising.  

Despite anyone's thoughts on whether Russel's best days are behind him or not, Denver just became a legit threat to KC's division champ status.  

This trade does, however, rob Denver of valuable draft capital and cash/cap space, so that's good news.  

Spot on. 
defense just got a little more important than it was. 

I'm assuming Von Miller is coming back which would boost that defense even further. I don't know if Broncos will attract receivers coming in for cheap but they need some weapons before Wilson starts crying like Rodgers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner joins them too.

21 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I'm assuming Von Miller is coming back which would boost that defense even further. I don't know if Broncos will attract receivers coming in for cheap but they need some weapons before Wilson starts crying like Rodgers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner joins them too.

Receivers. Courtland and Jeudy are pretty good

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

Receivers. Courtland and Jeudy are pretty good

Still not sold on Jeudy but Courtland is pretty good. I'm sure both will be even better with Wilson in town but still a major downgrade from Metcalf & Lockett.

I can see Penny landing in Denver though and that could be quite interesting.

With Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson as the three biggest targets for Denver, I have been personally hoping it would be Wilson the whole time.  I think that even though he's only 33 that he has a ton of wear and tear on his body.  I think that while he was efficient last year that he's hit is prime and is on the way down, versus just having a bad year.  If you line his 2021 stats up next to Teddy Bridgewater they were pretty similar, with the exception of Russ averaging .5 more TDs a game, but I've always felt QB TDs can be misleading when its all about running vs passing.

I honestly believe that in the end this trade won't give the Broncos what they want, which is a championship.  If they don't win the division next year with a 4th place schedule, I honestly don't see them winning the AFC West with Russ with the amount of talent and QBs on the other 3 teams.  Not to mention a new coaching staff and a new playbook for everyone to learn, there will be some growing pains.  

I think they will get some playoff games in the future, but not what they ultimately expected when bringing him in...

16 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

With Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson as the three biggest targets for Denver, I have been personally hoping it would be Wilson the whole time.  I think that even though he's only 33 that he has a ton of wear and tear on his body.  I think that while he was efficient last year that he's hit is prime and is on the way down, versus just having a bad year.  If you line his 2021 stats up next to Teddy Bridgewater they were pretty similar, with the exception of Russ averaging .5 more TDs a game, but I've always felt QB TDs can be misleading when its all about running vs passing.

I honestly believe that in the end this trade won't give the Broncos what they want, which is a championship.  If they don't win the division next year with a 4th place schedule, I honestly don't see them winning the AFC West with Russ with the amount of talent and QBs on the other 3 teams.  Not to mention a new coaching staff and a new playbook for everyone to learn, there will be some growing pains.  

I think they will get some playoff games in the future, but not what they ultimately expected when bringing him in...

I'm not up on  everything Broncos but I have to wonder if this also is not a big publicity move. Fans have to be getting pretty sick n tired of lacidasical QB play when they had a very respectable Defense with all the new parts coming into play it's a great PR move.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not up on  everything Broncos but I have to wonder if this also is not a big publicity move. Fans have to be getting pretty sick n tired of lacidasical QB play when they had a very respectable Defense with all the new parts coming into play it's a great PR move.

They're for sale, also. Might be easier for new ownership if Wilson is the QB instead of Lock or Bridgewater.

Gotta wonder if the Denver FO has decided they can't draft a franchise QB. Every effort has failed. The last time they were contenders was going out and getting Manning. Is that the formula they have created for themselves?

54 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Gotta wonder if the Denver FO has decided they can't draft a franchise QB. Every effort has failed. The last time they were contenders was going out and getting Manning. Is that the formula they have created for themselves?

Last 2 SB winners went out and got Quarterbacks. Nothing new.

1 hour ago, arrowhead said:

Whether or not it was new was not my thought. It was whether or not Denver perceives themselves as that is the way they're going to have to do it if they want to do it from now on.

3 hours ago, arrowhead said:

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Whether or not it was new was not my thought. It was whether or not Denver perceives themselves as that is the way they're going to have to do it if they want to do it from now on.

It's funny or not so funny, how that worked out for those teams. It never worked out for the Chiefs in recent times.

45 minutes ago, qnet said:

It's funny or not so funny, how that worked out for those teams. It never worked out for the Chiefs in recent times.

to be fair other than  Joe Montana a vast majority of the QB's we got were 2nd stringers hardly the pedigree of  the GOAT or even Stafford for that matter

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

to be fair other than  Joe Montana a vast majority of the QB's we got were 2nd stringers hardly the pedigree of  the GOAT or even Stafford for that matter

Yep. A broken down Montana with a bunch of scrubs (other than Marcus Allen) and a solid defense just about pulled it off. Pedigree matters apparently.🤔

13 hours ago, DieHard said:

All I know is that Manning was broken down with the career ending neck injury came in and broke his career high by a 700 yards.

Montana came in with Sloth from the Goonies on his throwing elbow and kicked some ass.

Good movie for a team that can’t draft a QB for shit.

No shame in adding via trades/FA if you know you cannot develop a rookie QB. They have tried and failed over and over, time to go for a proven veteran. I like the somewhat steep price that limits their low-cost player additions but it's still the better option for a team that's desperate for a QB.

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

No shame in adding via trades/FA if you know you cannot develop a rookie QB. They have tried and failed over and over, time to go for a proven veteran. I like the somewhat steep price that limits their low-cost player additions but it's still the better option for a team that's desperate for a QB.

The only way to get an elite QB is to have a terrible season combined with "can't miss" QBs i the following draft  KC wasn't in that position for 40+ years and the Doks are in the same category.  Even then, there's no guarantee.  Just ask the Bears with Trubisky or the NY teams.  So Denver did the right thing IMHO.  The down side is if they don't win in the next few years, they've given up enough draft capital to set themselves up for worse shape than now.  With Mahomes and Herbert in the same division, the Donks are walking a thin line. 

On 3/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, jetlord said:

Guess that's what happens when one misses out on Rodgers.  Wonder what they gave up for him.

Rodgers is very comfy in the worst division in the NFL. He wanted nothing to do with battling Mahomes and Herbert twice a year.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, Okiechief1 said:

Gave up 2 1st 2 2nds a 5th plus drew lock shelby harris and noah fant.   That's a crap ton to give up for 2nd place in the division and chance at a playoff spot

3rd place.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, dhitter said:

Gotta wonder if the Denver FO has decided they can't draft a franchise QB. Every effort has failed.

They're in the same spot the Chiefs were in for three decades. Just good enough to not have a shot at the best ones, and when they did they blew the opportunity. 

I'm sure they looked at the next few years' worth of college QBs and there isn't enough there to peek their interest, at least, not in the next year or two. 

AH is right... if they're marketing the franchise to sell, Wilson gives them a quick, pretty paint job.

Makes them a contender now, easier to sell.

But in 3-4 years they gonna need a new paint job and some foundation work.