Let's get this guy

From what I understand on frank they are essentially offering him a 1 year 12.9 dollar deal, which is what his dead cap is. So we can cut him and lose 12.9 or pay him 12.9 and have the same cap situation.

its a massive pay cut for frank off 20 million, but chiefs argue he won’t get more than a 1 year 6-8 mil offer on the open market. Should be a win win for both sides but who knows,

on the zadarius smith side of things, dude is a beast would be nice to have him

16 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

From what I understand on frank they are essentially offering him a 1 year 12.9 dollar deal, which is what his dead cap is. So we can cut him and lose 12.9 or pay him 12.9 and have the same cap situation.

its a massive pay cut for frank off 20 million, but chiefs argue he won’t get more than a 1 year 6-8 mil offer on the open market. Should be a win win for both sides but who knows,

on the zadarius smith side of things, dude is a beast would be nice to have him

How does the dead money work? Are we still paying him?  Like, do the chiefs still owe him that money, so he could go somewhere else and take a 5 mill one year contract and get that on top of the chiefs money?

14 minutes ago, moons314 said:

How does the dead money work? Are we still paying him?  Like, do the chiefs still owe him that money, so he could go somewhere else and take a 5 mill one year contract and get that on top of the chiefs money?

It depends on if he has any guaranteed money left on the deal, which we really don’t know due to previous restructuring of contract. Its fairly safe to assume this late into his contract the guaranteed money is either zero or very low for this season. If he plays all 17 games and earns his workout bonus he gets 19ish mil.

the dead money has nothing to do with money frank will receive from the chiefs this season, its just an accounting number that goes to the nfl book keeping.

im kinda assuming if the chiefs cut him outright they might owe him a small amount, maybe a few mil on guaranteed money. Then another team signs him for say 7 mil. This adds up to 10 mil, so if he restructures to 1 year 12.9 mil both sides in theory win. 

in this scenario clark gets more money than he will earn on the market, and chiefs get an average player for essentially Zero because they were cutting anyways

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

Since they signed him I don't think there will be any dead money. Doesn't that only kick in if they release him?

11 hours ago, moons314 said:

Depends on the current deal. He's owed the guaranteed money regardless and that becomes the dead cap but if his new deal has no new guarantees then we could be fine.

11 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I think it created immediate cap relief. More money to sign guys now.

We got 11 plus in cap relief. He now cost us 1.2 million more than it would have to cut him off completely. So we renegotiated him down from 22 plus cap hit to 12 ish or so by restructuring him. This in turns gave us him for a year at least, at 1.2 million more than out right cutting him. This was a good move as we did not expect to get a DE at 1.2 mil nor do we have to fill a hole now either.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

We got 11 plus in cap relief. He now cost us 1.2 million more than it would have to cut him off completely. So we renegotiated him down from 22 plus cap hit to 12 ish or so by restructuring him. This in turns gave us him for a year at least, at 1.2 million more than out right cutting him. This was a good move as we did not expect to get a DE at 1.2 mil nor do we have to fill a hole now either.

I am not thrilled about retaining Clark (3 sacks & what looked like minimal effort in 2021), but I understand why they did it.  

Your post is spot on.  If we were going to owe that either way, then why would we add another spot to fill by cutting him?

16 hours ago, THEWIZARD said:

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/03/14/zadarius-smiths-release-first-domino-fall-chiefs-rumored-move/

I can't remember where I read it but they are negotiating a contract with Frank Clark. I think he deserves about half the money he's scheduled to make this season.

If he won't do that, see ya.

We still need another starter. Who knows.

7 minutes ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

Oh, we need another FA edge rusher (Melvin, Z. Smith, etc…).

In addition to that we need to draft an edge rusher somewhere early in the draft.

Clark is just depth at this point.

He is more than depth given the current roster. I hope you are right by the time the season starts.

Smith is a dangerous guy to sign.  Nobody ever used to have back problems.  If we sign him ,  it needs to be a one year deal at very reasonable cost.  Personally, I think Vaughn Miller or Chandler Jones should be the focus.   Potentially also add a receiver like Ju Ju as well.   In the draft, we need another edge rusher and/or a stud DT if available.  A receiver in either the 1st or 2nd round,  I would look at an explosive running back in either the 3rd or 4th round and we should look for a Swing Tackle.  We should also look for corner and safety help as well.  Veach has his work cut out for him.  I hope Any Reid understands we are going to have to run the ball and that we cannot afford teams to be able to solely concentrate on bringing a strong pass rush every down.  Both the Broncos and Chargers have made strong moves defensively.  The Bronco's also have really improved on Offense.  Division is going to be tight and the Chiefs are going to be in a dogfight to win the AFC West.  We have to choose wisely in free agency and really hit in the draft.  We are certainly going to make Veach earn his money this year.    I do like the Chiefs move to restructure Clark.  we save almost as much money as we would have gotten cutting him and at the very least have a very good rotational player in the mix vs. cutting him and having to sign another player.