51 minutes ago, xen said:

Chiefs have some work to do in the slot.  Our 2 best corners can both play slot but more valuable outside.  Reid does a lot of things very well but does not match up in man out of the slot like HB could do.

I wonder if they feel good about Bootle? He showed some good things last preseason. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

We will play a lot of 3-safety and only 2 on the roster. I don’t get the hate on HB. First team all pro 2019 and 2020. Best safety numbers in football in 2020 if I remember right. People bitch about him throwing his hands in the air when they should be bitching about the guys who blew their assignments that made him throw his hands in the air. You will be a huge asset for somebody this year.

To be fair we do have Anderson and Key the roster right now. But I agree if we are relying on them that isn’t good

• The title was changed to Justin reid

• 2 months later...

In any case, Monson places new Kansas City Chiefs safety Justin Reid — who joined the team during the offseason — at the bottom of his All-Around... uh... Group.

All-Around Tier

1. ADRIAN AMOS, GREEN BAY PACKERS
2. HARRISON SMITH, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
3. MICAH HYDE, BUFFALO BILLS
4. JORDAN POYER, BUFFALO BILLS
5. JOHN JOHNSON III, CLEVELAND BROWNS
6. AMANI HOOKER, TENNESSEE TITANS
7. JUSTIN REID, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Although Justin Reid is coming off some ugly grading, we saw earlier in his career what he is capable of in a defense that doesn’t shed all of its talent around him. Now that he has an opportunity to play within a better defense again, we should see a rebound performance in 2022.

For reference, Monson placed former Kansas City safety Tyrann Mathieu (now with the New Orleans Saints) second in his “Matchup Slot Tier.” It’s also important to note that Monson is only ranking half of the league’s starting safeties — so presumably, there are other “all-around” safeties who would be ranked underneath Reid.

Takeaway

Monson speaks the truth when he says that Reid’s recent PFF grades haven’t been good. In 2021, his overall grade was just 50.8. But as he notes, they were much better earlier in his career. Reid received a PFF grade of 75.2 during his 2018 rookie season (when he was playing alongside Mathieu with the Houston Texans) and 76.7 the following year, after Mathieu had moved on to the Chiefs.

But I have to note that I think this is the first time I can recall a PFF writer mentioning that a player’s grade might have something to do with those playing around him.

AFC WEST TAKE: Hope he vastly improves. KC gave him more the HB received. I do remember KL torching that secondary.