Kc reworks Frank's deal.

Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) Tweeted:
Had the Chiefs simply cut Clark with a pre-June 1 designation, they would have saved $12.7M

My understanding is the restructure of Chiefs' DE Frank Clark saves KC roughly $11.56M against the cap in 2022

In basic terms, my math says the Chiefs are paying an extra $1.2M to have Frank Clark instead of cutting him.

4 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Had the Chiefs simply cut Clark with a pre-June 1 designation, they would have saved $12.7M

My understanding is the restructure of Chiefs' DE Frank Clark saves KC roughly $11.56M against the cap in 2022

In basic terms, my math says the Chiefs are paying an extra $1.2M to have Frank Clark instead of cutting him.

Yep. Hard to get anyone for 1.2 million. Maybe year two is not guaranteed. Plus, I think,  Kc saves cap room now instead of after June 1st. Thus the Reid signing.

41 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yep. Hard to get anyone for 1.2 million. Maybe year two is not guaranteed. Plus, I think,  Kc saves cap room now instead of after June 1st. Thus the Reid signing.

41 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

This better be 1.2 million for depth.  If we are going into the season with the idea of him starting, we are in trouble.

Not sure why anyone is against this.  He is better than anyone we could have gotten for 1.2 million and we don’t exactly have any experienced DEs on this team.  He should be a rotational player and offer veteran leadership.   I don’t love him but it was a good business decision.   Now we can still go get Z Smith or Jones and add Ingram latter along with a wr.   

10 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

From a money standpoint I get it, but I hope they draft his replacement too. I would prefer him not be on the roster at all and letting young guys get all sorts of snaps. Clark is a known, over payed dude. He should be on a short leash for playing time.

It created immediate cap space. 

Get a DE now, draft the other and maybe still sign one. Ingram makes most sense still and let the drafted DE, which is flooded in this draft, get a year to come up to speed.

Also I think we go after a DT. Some nice ones out there and I would not mind drafting another with a higher pick. Set us up for the future plus we can always us D line help, especially a guy who could be stout against the run and has some rush ability in the middle.

WR i think we get FA.

S we will draft another

CB we need help/depth at for sure still.

I'm hoping/expecting something similar to Hitchens deal which basically made him untouchable for a year and allowed us to cut him afterwards. Looks like a minor additional pay for this year where Clark can make his FA bid in an environment he already knows. I don't mind him sticking around for basically a vet-minimum difference as long as they don't see him as the answer beyond 2022.

Love that structure, basically a vet minimum addition to the dead money and he gets to showcase his skills for one last time for a new contract in FA next year. Win-win for both sides IMO. I don't like him as the primary option but don't mind him making so little additional money to stay around for a single season just in case we don't find our guy early in the draft.

In terms of the FA I still hope we can get someone like Flowers and Ingram is still my first choice but he could opt for a long-term deal due to age. 

Not a clark fan. But this was a good move because I don't see any average DEs out there for that money. 

I mean, now clark HAS to perform... because he's gone in 2023 if he doesn't. Because who will pick him up?

Seen it happen too many times where a few years of cushy guaranteed money lowers performance... but being forced to market yourself for free agency next year sets the tone for a season

let's hope

1 minute ago, mex said:

Not a clark fan. But this was a good move because I don't see any average DEs out there for that money. 

I mean, now clark HAS to perform... because he's gone in 2023 if he doesn't. Because who will pick him up?

Seen it happen too many times where a few years of cushy guaranteed money lowers performance... but being forced to market yourself for free agency next year sets the tone for a season

let's hope

At least it wasn't Dee Ford. He's never available.