Ward to Niners

49ers signed CB Charvarius Ward, formerly of the Chiefs, to a three-year, $42 million contract. 

The deal includes $26.7 million guaranteed. Amongst the youngest of the big-name corners available, Ward arrives with a solid résumé as a three-year starter for the Chiefs. Although he is the author of only four career picks, Ward has been a strong presence on the outside. Whether he is ready to headline a secondary is another question, though the Niners also have 25-year-old Emmanuel Moseley in the fold. 2021 third-rounder Ambry Thomas is the No. 3 after an up-and-down rookie year, so it was certainly a position of need for the 49ers. 

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not a Ward fan, but the Chiefs sure have a big hole in the defensive secondary.  

Assuming Ingram stays #1 need on defense becomes a CB and that could be the first pick followed by a couple DL and possibly an OT. The rest likely becomes a matter of whomever is the best available guy.

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not a Ward fan, but the Chiefs sure have a big hole in the defensive secondary.  

Good solid corners get paid in this league.  Not surprising he got that kind of contract but replaceable production.  I like Tariq Woolen in the 3rd as a developmental press guy if he's there.  Long and fast is right up our alley, but his athletic profile suggest he may go higher.

41 minutes ago, xen said:

Good solid corners get paid in this league.  Not surprising he got that kind of contract but replaceable production.  I like Tariq Woolen in the 3rd as a developmental press guy if he's there.  Long and fast is right up our alley, but his athletic profile suggest he may go higher.

If we want woolen we will have to use our first on him. He will go early second round

11 minutes ago, Palangi said:

If we want woolen we will have to use our first on him. He will go early second round

a 30th pick for a guy that grades out??? jeeeesh.   he doesn't like to tackle?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tariq-woolen/3200574f-4f71-3124-55f0-e6f0816e959a

Prospect Grade

Traits Or Talent To Be Above-Average Backup

Sneed played the slot last year quite a bit.  We could possibly get Elam at 30 for the outside and keep Sneed there. Or go McCreary, who is athletic enough to play in the slot (or outside) and play Sneed outside.

That sounds about right for Ward. He had his best year and I figured he would get paid.  I really like having Snead in the slot to rush, stop the run, etc., but we don't have much on the outside like Xen suggested. Ward and Ogbah make me think we are really dependent on the draft to field a D. I do expect a CB or Edge in FA, but not a game changer. 

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

That would be a reach.  Our second would be as high as I would go.

I agree. I’m just saying that if we wanted him we need to trade down a little or use pick 30. 
his ceiling is unreal. He’s only been playing corner for 2 years. But at almost 6’4” and running in the 4.2s is unreal

51 minutes ago, DieHard said:

That sounds about right for Ward. He had his best year and I figured he would get paid.  I really like having Snead in the slot to rush, stop the run, etc., but we don't have much on the outside like Xen suggested. Ward and Ogbah make me think we are really dependent on the draft to field a D. I do expect a CB or Edge in FA, but not a game changer. 

Fenton and Sneed outside with Bootle in the slot. 
or maybe Baker recovers fully and steps up to an outside spot. Allowing Sneed to remain in his role. 

that is what we have right now

10 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I agree. I’m just saying that if we wanted him we need to trade down a little or use pick 30. 
his ceiling is unreal. He’s only been playing corner for 2 years. But at almost 6’4” and running in the 4.2s is unreal

Woolen is going to take a couple of years and we need at least two impact starters from this draft.  One being a corner.  I can’t see 30 going to a project.  I think there is a good chance that Veach does trade down.  Hope to strike gold on a couple of 2s like last year.  

27 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Low floor high ceiling players don't usually go in the first.  2nd sounds right.  I say round 4 cause dude has no idea what he's doing yet... but tons of potential.  He doesn't really have the press or pattern match skills we want (yet) but has the length and athleticism for it.  We also haven't seen him do agility testing yet which is important for a corner his size to show he can be mutiple in coverage.  If the agility isn't quite there, I could see him go in 3rd-4th or so.  Small school + low experience level + agility issues = drop in draft.  Wouldn't matter so much for us, but most teams don't play all the press we do.  fwiw, I think he'll do fine in agility so this probably won't happen.  

7 minutes ago, xen said:

Low floor high ceiling players don't usually go in the first.  2nd sounds right.  I say round 4 cause dude has no idea what he's doing yet... but tons of potential.  He doesn't really have the press or pattern match skills we want (yet) but has the length and athleticism for it.  We also haven't seen him do agility testing yet which is important for a corner his size to show he can be mutiple in coverage.  If the agility isn't quite there, I could see him go in 3rd-4th or so.  Small school + low experience level + agility issues = drop in draft.  Wouldn't matter so much for us, but most teams don't play all the press we do.  fwiw, I think he'll do fine in agility so this probably won't happen.  

Maybe the 3rd round comp pick?. If he doesn't like to tackle now he's not even a gunner on ST until he does  figure out what he's doing. 

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

Good for ward. The disrespect for him was outrageous. How quickly we forget Nelson, and the burnt toast that preceded him. 

Yeah, I was a fan of him. I just like to see guys like that make it, being un-drafted. He got threw into the fire in 2018 during the Seattle game and held his own to the best of his ability. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Chiefs don't need potential.  They need players that can start now.  They are in the mix for winning today  I'm normally a long term thinker, but when the door is open, ca't wait to jump through.  They can draft potential on day three, but have to fill starting slots at S, CB, and Edge this year. 

38 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Chiefs don't need potential.  They need players that can start now.  They are in the mix for winning today  I'm normally a long term thinker, but when the door is open, ca't wait to jump through.  They can draft potential on day three, but have to fill starting slots at S, CB, and Edge this year. 

Besides if you need your coaches to work on a guy for a year or two there's no need to spend a high pick on those raw guys. QB and LT are exceptions but the rest of the high picks should be starting in their positions from day one or rotate with solid contribution if there are already established players in those positions. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Well on the other side, he's 6'4" and ran in the 4.2's and is already a pretty good zone corner with ball skills from being a former receiver.  He's a work in progress in man but has elite recovery speed and looks much better in press than off man, which is fine cause we press more than just about anybody.  I think he could start by year 2 and could develop into a number 1 corner.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:34 AM, Calichief said:

Good for ward. The disrespect for him was outrageous. How quickly we forget Nelson, and the burnt toast that preceded him. 

I knew you wouldn't like losing him him. His coverage skills were good, his ball awareness...not so much. But he was improving in that area. Just think the market was too high. Glad for him. He was a good Chief 

On 3/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, Calichief said:

Ward was good but I'm glad we didn't spend big on him.  The rules of the league aren't kind to cover corners, and I'd rather spend that money on pass rush.  Veach has shown an ability to get solid corner play from mid round guys on the cheap.  If you can't get to the QB, it doesn't matter who you have covering on the back end.  Good for Ward.