Have you ever seen anything like this?

The urgency and maybe desperation of the other AFC West and even the top tier AFC teams in trying to surpass the Chiefs?  

Teams are paying older vets in hopes of taking down the Chiefs.   

The Chargers went all out on D.

The Broncos sold the farm for Russ.

The Raiders doing Raider things with a 29 year old WR.

Curious to see what Veach has in store.

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I seriously dont see Watson as a major upgrade or an upgrade at all for that matter and I believe he still has legal issues a head of him.

Agreed. I don’t get the deal at all. Seems like the Browns were in full panic mode and traded their future for one guy who, I assume, they believe is the missing piece of the puzzle. And he still has something like 25 lawsuits to deal with. 

13 hours ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Agreed. I don’t get the deal at all. Seems like the Browns were in full panic mode and traded their future for one guy who, I assume, they believe is the missing piece of the puzzle. And he still has something like 25 lawsuits to deal with. 

and you can bet that when the pending 25 lawsuits find out about that amount, they will go after just about every penny of that 230 mil fully for guaranteed for 5 years. 

On 3/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, oldtimer said:

I seriously dont see Watson as a major upgrade or an upgrade at all for that matter and I believe he still has legal issues a head of him.

Watson has much better raw talent but with all the distractions and sentences coming up I don't think this is an upgrade at all. If Baker isn't the answer just use a couple of those picks to find another answer and save the cap space to fix the rest. 

If Watson saga continues to be a major headache such a guaranteed contract will bury the franchise for good. 

6 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Watson has much better raw talent but with all the distractions and sentences coming up I don't think this is an upgrade at all. If Baker isn't the answer just use a couple of those picks to find another answer and save the cap space to fix the rest. 

If Watson saga continues to be a major headache such a guaranteed contract will bury the franchise for good. 

I was just reading an article that says Baker was ready to sit out and if so I guess they thought they'd ( browns) just cut their loses

54 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I was just reading an article that says Baker was ready to sit out and if so I guess they thought they'd ( browns) just cut their loses

That's something I'm curious about, players must play out their rookie contract but does that include the 5th year option or is it treated like a tag? 

Didn't hear about the Baker sitting out. That's definitely something to prompt some reaction from any GM but with the bunch of picks they had there would be some wiser ways to replace him. Regardless I expected a trade in place for Baker before finalizing the Watson deal. 

4 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

The spending frenzy will swing the other way when all these AFC teams end up in cap hell.

I don't know if this will be the case, to be honest.  The cap went up 25 mill this year.  The new TV deal was a big reason for this.  I honestly think that teams are already being told or anticipate that we could see 18-25 million cap increases every year for the next 3-5 years, and are spending their money accordingly.  Just 3 seasons ago, the Top 10 QB contracts averaged 30.6 million a year.  This season the top 10 averages 39.1.  If you look at the top 15 you see the average rise from 28.5 to 35.2.  And that's just the QB spot.  We are seeing the ceilings being raised considerably at pretty much every position.  The price of football is going up and the cap is going to rise along with it.  I don't anticipate these teams being nearly as cash strapped as people think they are.  Remember just a couple years ago when Derek Carr got his deal how the Raiders were gonna be so cap screwed because of it?  Well, that was never really the case, as they have continued to spend every off season and are managing the cap just fine...

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Agree.  The mental toll is going to be immense.  Also everything that gets said and comes out in each of these 22 civil cases is going to brought up and his teammates are going to have to answer for it.  It is going to be a circus for a long time.  They are considerably better with Deshaun and pose another threat but it will be interesting to see how they handle everything and all the blow back.

50 minutes ago, jetlord said:

All these teams spending like crazy and only one can win.  For every HB signing, there's a Clark type result.  While the Chiefs are restricted in FA signings this year, I believe long term they are in good shape.  While it will be hard to duplicate draft results like last year, even a slightly above average draft and a couple of FA signings to fill the gaps and I'd take their chances against the rest of the league over the next fie years. 

This will be Veach's biggest offseason.   We have most of the high priced guys in house.  We have to fill long term holes in the draft and/or find hidden gems similar to Ward.   Last year's draft was awesome but it was also positions that are typically easier to hit on.   Finding CB, DE, and WR will be more difficult.  Like you said, if he can be above avg we will be fine.  Mahomes deal is going to be a steal when it is all said and done.   I love their philosophy about not signing older guys to long term deals.  

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

This will be Veach's biggest offseason.   We have most of the high priced guys in house.  We have to fill long term holes in the draft and/or find hidden gems similar to Ward.   Last year's draft was awesome but it was also positions that are typically easier to hit on.   Finding CB, DE, and WR will be more difficult.  Like you said, if he can be above avg we will be fine.  Mahomes deal is going to be a steal when it is all said and done.   I love their philosophy about not signing older guys to long term deals.  

Would you be willing to trade up in the draft for a "REAL" DE/Pass rusher?

Doing that would obviously cost us some draft capital, but damn it would be good to nab a young, cheap T.J Watt/Bosa/Kahil Mack to have around here for the next 5 to 8 yrs. wouldn't it?

Now is the time to be thoughtful with draft picks, and continuing to pull guys like Bolton, Humphrey etc out of the draft.  We have enough stable pieces we don't need to make those big moves like trading picks for Clark as the Chiefs did, or the Raiders giving up picks for Adams.  We're in a much better place in terms of long term stability than Denver and Vegas.  We have an overall superior foundation to all of those teams, so let them spend, Chiefs need to be methodic. 

11 minutes ago, artsy said:

Would you be willing to trade up in the draft for a "REAL" DE/Pass rusher?

Doing that would obviously cost us some draft capital, but damn it would be good to nab a young, cheap T.J Watt/Bosa/Kahil Mack to have around here for the next 5 to 8 yrs. wouldn't it?

are there really any of those around that could drop to 25 or later? before that no thank you