Have you ever seen anything like this?

43 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

are there really any of those around that could drop to 25 or later? before that no thank you

See, yea I think that's the problem. I don't think a real STUD at DE will fall that low. But if we could jump up to say..19 by switching 1st rd picks with someone and maybe throwing in a 3rd, maybe, just maybe we can get a real DE for the next few years....FOR CHEAP. 

I'm so tired of the retread's....they get here and just steal money...cough, cough ..Frank Clark/Jarren Reid...Anthony Hitchen..

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

are there really any of those around that could drop to 25 or later? before that no thank you

Not by my estimate.  There are only three elite, immediate DEs and they'll all be gone well before #25 which is about as high as one late third rounder would get the Chiefs.  What does everyone think of getting an interior pass rusher to complement Jones if the ends are gone?  Of course, I'm referring to Wyatt and he'll probably also be gone by the time the Chiefs could trade up for him.  Mafe and Thomas are possibilities at #30 but I don't see them as instant or elite DEs.  As posted in another thread, I wouldn't mind spending a little to get Zadarius Smith on a two year deal as a temporary fix to play across from Ingram.  

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Not by my estimate.  There are only three elite, immediate DEs and they'll all be gone well before #25 which is about as high as one late third rounder would get the Chiefs.  What does everyone think of getting an interior pass rusher to complement Jones if the ends are gone?  Of course, I'm referring to Wyatt and he'll probably also be gone by the time the Chiefs could trade up for him.  Mafe and Thomas are possibilities at #30 but I don't see them as instant or elite DEs.  As posted in another thread, I wouldn't mind spending a little to get Zadarius Smith on a two year deal as a temporary fix to play across from Ingram.  

What we could be able to do is get probably elite but non-immediate.  Who's your 3?  

8 minutes ago, xen said:

What we could be able to do is get probably elite but non-immediate.  Who's your 3?  

Hutchinson, Thebideaux, and Walker although Walker is probably more of a 3-4 OLB.  Several others will go in the first round, but I don't know that they're plug and play type guys.  Ojabo, Johnson, and Drake Jackson could be situational and develop into solid starters with coaching and experience.  I'm sure there are others .  If the Chiefs go that way, I would like to see them trade down and pick up another fourth or better.  

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Hutchinson, Thebideaux, and Walker although Walker is probably more of a 3-4 OLB.  Several others will go in the first round, but I don't know that they're plug and play type guys.  Ojabo, Johnson, and Drake Jackson could be situational and develop into solid starters with coaching and experience.  I'm sure there are others .  If the Chiefs go that way, I would like to see them trade down and pick up another fourth or better.  

With what Spags likes, I think Jermaine Johnson is a day 1 starter for us as well.  I think he's better than Walker.  Karlaftis I find interesting as well and I think he may drop quite a ways.  He's a polarizing guy for sure but Spags loves his power ends.

Ojabo is a no brainer for me if he drops due to the injury but obviously not a day 1 starter.

Mafe I am also very intrigued by.  Like him in the 2nd but he'll be long gone by our pick.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Mafe I am also very intrigued by.  Like him in the 2nd but he'll be long gone by our pick.

No way would I claim to have talent evaluating skills, but of those we've mentioned, I think the Chiefs could trade down to late 30s or so and still get one.  Actually, I'm hoping for a starting CB but Veach doesn't seem to put the same value on them. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

With what Spags likes, I think Jermaine Johnson is a day 1 starter for us as well.  I think he's better than Walker.  Karlaftis I find interesting as well and I think he may drop quite a ways.  He's a polarizing guy for sure but Spags loves his power ends.

Ojabo is a no brainer for me if he drops due to the injury but obviously not a day 1 starter.

Didn't Karlaftis have like 31-32" arms?   Yikes!    Ojabo is intriguing but can we afford for our first round pick to sit a year?  A year he doesn't hardly get any reps.   

If we want Mafe we have to take him in round 1 but he is also raw but would at least be able to rotate in and get some reps.

Where do you think we have to get to to nab Jermaine Johnson?  He looks like a perfect fit for us.  15-20 range?  

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Didn't Karlaftis have like 31-32" arms?   Yikes!    Ojabo is intriguing but can we afford for our first round pick to sit a year?  A year he doesn't hardly get any reps.   

If we want Mafe we have to take him in round 1 but he is also raw but would at least be able to rotate in and get some reps.

Where do you think we have to get to to nab Jermaine Johnson?  He looks like a perfect fit for us.  15-20 range?  

Higher for Johnson, I would think.

You can compensate for arm length with good technique, which is kind of karlaftis' calling card.  That said, Spags likes length so doubt they go for him.

Ojabo could be the best pass rusher put of this class and someone we'd never normally have a shot at.  Worth the risk to me.

12 hours ago, artsy said:

Would you be willing to trade up in the draft for a "REAL" DE/Pass rusher?

Doing that would obviously cost us some draft capital, but damn it would be good to nab a young, cheap T.J Watt/Bosa/Kahil Mack to have around here for the next 5 to 8 yrs. wouldn't it?

TJ Watt is a great example, there were 7 edge rushers drafted ahead of him in 2017 and none of us even remember 5 of those ever existed. Staying put is the best way to draft for any non-QB position. At this point I would be contemplating a trade down to be honest as moving down to early 2nd would get us a premium pick in exchange for the 5th year option. 

13 hours ago, xen said:

Higher for Johnson, I would think.

You can compensate for arm length with good technique, which is kind of karlaftis' calling card.  That said, Spags likes length so doubt they go for him.

Ojabo could be the best pass rusher put of this class and someone we'd never normally have a shot at.  Worth the risk to me.

I'm with you.  Though we probably wouldn't see any impact play from him until 2023, he is worth the risk, and wait.  

Sign a vet to a one year deal to cover 2022, and roll with Ojabo afterwards.

On 3/22/2022 at 11:21 AM, jetlord said:

Ojabo might be great down the road, but the Chiefs need pass rush now.  Even assuming they resign Ingram, that only get them back to the dismal rush of last year.  They at the very least need a situational third down DE to replace Clark. 

our immediate need just went for  #1WR.. Tyreek IMO was worth 3 wins this might be the step back year I thought would of been last year

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

our immediate need just went for  #1WR.. Tyreek IMO was worth 3 wins this might be the step back year I thought would of been last year

I thought after we passed on the old pass rushers in FA that veach had decided to rebuild through the draft.  I will say it's a terrific draft year to need pass rush and receivers and to hold a lot of picks.

Just now, xen said:

I thought after we passed on the old pass rushers in FA that veach had decided to rebuild through the draft.  I will say it's a terrific draft year to need pass rush and receivers and to hold a lot of picks.

we certainly do a have a slew of picks. I'm having a hard time Veach using all of those with out a trade up somewhere.

Just now, oldtimer said:

we certainly do a have a slew of picks. I'm having a hard time Veach using all of those with out a trade up somewhere.

Trade a couple of 7s to move up into the 5th. Trade a 3rd and 7th then to move to top of 3rd.

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I don't think we draft a WR1 for 2022. They need to learn the playbook and go through whatever they need to go through in this system before we can utilize anyone. So I'm guessing we play this season without a true WR1 but rather add a couple more solid veterans and have a rotation there. 

I think the biggest question is the prototype of the WR that we go for at this point. Hill wasn't a conventional WR1 but that's also very tough to find so do we go with the classical bigger guy that will create separation by size or do we try to go for another Hill-Hardman type and see if they can develop? 

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I think one of KCs first 4 draft picks will be a WR then maybe another in the 3rd.  KC doesn't have a WR under contract for 23 so i would think they would want to get 1 or 2 into the system that they have plans on being a WR1 asap.  

Ideally maybe flip one of the 3rds to Seattle for Lockett so the rookies dont have to shoulder the bulk of the WR load this year.