Are the Chiefs in Trouble ??????

The AFC West has gone apeshit so far this offseason.  The Chargers add Kahill Mack at end,  Jackson at CB, and resign Williams.  They still have their 1st round pick as well.  On top of that ,  the TE class is pretty deep , so it is likely on top of a stacked Defense they also get a playmaking Tight End to round out the Offense.  

The Bronco's add Russel Wilson to an already good team and Randy Gregory to make an already very good Defense , very scary.

The Raiders add Chandler Jones to make their pass rush scary and Devonte Adams to make their offense formidable. 

Our Primary Rival in the AFC has been very active as well in the Bills have gotten better.  The Bengals are adding Offensive line help,  Both of these teams beat us last year and we play them again this year.  

We play the Bucs and Super Bowl Champion Rams who both have gotten better.

We face 3 teams that I think we should win against.  Seattle, Houston, and Jacksonville.  If Houston trades Watson,  they may have the opportunity to really get better in a hurry.  Jacksonville has added a ton of players in free agency ,  so both of those teams might be sleepers that could steal a game .  Only the Seahawks remain out of those two teams to be in a pretty much hopeless situation.

As far as free agency goes,  pretty much all the good edge players are gone.  We brought back Frank Clark, but he has underperformed and depending on how his legal problems go,  could potentially be facing a suspension or even some Jail time.  The price of a free agent receiver has gone up as well as competition now since Adams left the Packers, who will likely be going after what is left.  We are going to only find help in free agency on a flier on someone and that simply may not cut the mustard.

Lets talk Tyreek Hill.  Devonte Adams just broke the bank on the Raiders deal at over 28 million a year.  Hill was supposed to be close to signing a deal with the Chiefs.  Whatever was on the table, probably just got turned by Hill, who surely is now going to be seeking that kind of money now.  If Veach declines to pay that kind of money,  we potentially could see Hill holding out,  especially if we go and spend any substantial amount of money on a free agent.  

Lets look at the Schedule.  It is not good news.  We face our normal AFC West schedule and this division is going to be brutal.  In years past we dominated,  but this year we may feel good if we are 3-3 in the Division.  We play the NFC West, which is by far the best NFC division. The 49er's are good, the Cardinal's are good,  and the Ram's offense may be nearly unstoppable after signing Robinson.  Add in that we also play the Bucs, Bengals, and Bills . Pair this brutal schedule with a team devoid of pass rush and corner depth minus the heart and soul of the Defense in the Honey Badger,  we are going to see a few losses here.  Our losses may put us in a position where we will be a borderline playoff team. We could easily be looking at 8 losses, maybe more if we have any period of time that Mahomes struggles again this year. This schedule is loaded with teams that are very capable of beating us if Mahomes has a bad day at the office or even just an average day. 

The bottom line is that we have to hope Veach can find some way to shore things up in Free agency and hit on some mid-level free agents, that he nails the draft and the team stays away from injury as well as hoping that all of guys our rivals have signed do not turn out to be as good on the field as they do on paper.  For the first time in a long while,  I am concerned about our chances this year.  I certainly hope that I am not panicking early, but folks it does not look good so far.  We really may be in trouble.  Let's hope I am wrong. What are your thoughts?

I completely understand those concerns. The lack of significant roster movement makes it seem a little worse than it is. Free agency might be winding down in terms of our immediate needs, but it seems like we're still in decent shape going into the draft. Veach has done pretty good so far... so keep the faith.

4 minutes ago, mex said:

I completely understand those concerns. The lack of significant roster movement makes it seem a little worse than it is. Free agency might be winding down in terms of our immediate needs, but it seems like we're still in decent shape going into the draft. Veach has done pretty good so far... so keep the faith.

I will wait until final cuts are made before I worry.  

13 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Raiders should still Raider...Chargers will be a bitch, but hopefully their coach continues to make idiotic calls. At the end of the day we are in it as long as we don't continue beating ourselves with turnovers and abandoning the run when they are daring us.

thank you Eric Bieniemy 😁

Great points. 
At the end of the day our division is going to be tougher than it has been. There’s no denying that. 
I worried as well but I have more faith in our ability to compete than years past without mahomes. 
AFC west will soak up a lot of prime time games is what I’m thinking. 

Just now, Holmes4six! said:

Great points. 
At the end of the day our division is going to be tougher than it has been. There’s no denying that. 
I worried as well but I have more faith in our ability to compete than years past without mahomes. 
AFC west will soak up a lot of prime time games is what I’m thinking. 

NFL network guys were saying the AFC West should get it's own TV Deal.

I dont understand how literally no one has a concrete answer as to whether or not today is the LAST day they can restructure Mahomes or the FIRST day. There's a lot of chatter on Twitterabout it having to be done by 3pm today. If that's the case, and they don't do it,  then we are clearly sitting free agency out aside from the Reid signing and the sporadic scrap heap signigs.

15 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont understand how literally no one has a concrete answer as to whether or not today is the LAST day they can restructure Mahomes or the FIRST day. There's a lot of chatter on Twitterabout it having to be done by 3pm today. If that's the case, and they don't do it,  then we are clearly sitting free agency out aside from the Reid signing and the sporadic scrap heap signigs.

Expect the Chiefs to do this before March 18, when Mahomes’ roster bonus is due.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/03/kansas-city-chiefs-updated-salary-cap-2022-nfl-offseason/

19 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

maybe it's been done and not worth mentioning.

A lot of these teams with new signings are an injury or two away from being where they were before and no threat at all.  I’m not saying I hope for that, but as long as the Chiefs stay healthy there is a good chance one of the AFC West teams will be riddled with injury and under perform this season.  I think the Chiefs have more depth which has helped them overcome injuries these past few years.  

I laid out what my concerns are.  The biggest concern is that the Defense will not be able to stop good Offensive teams at all and the opposing Defenses will be able to keep the Chiefs Offense from scoring 30 + .    WE have a difficult schedule.  The Ju Ju SmithSchuster signing is a very good start.   We do need some Defensive help, but with that I think we can find a way to get it done.  Still want another weapon in the first Round.  A big , fast Wide Receiver.  That even if they are covered,  they aren't.    We also need a change of pace back.  The answer to all is this is go Nuclear on Offense and field a good enough Defense that teams are not going to score everytime they touch the ball. 

I'm not sure they're in trouble. We have to see how the draft works out, and also what changes they make on offense and defense. It's looks tough, with the signings all the other teams have made, but what I love about football is everything doesn't always work out the way everyone thinks. 

7 minutes ago, qnet said:

I'm not sure they're in trouble. We have to see how the draft works out, and also what changes they make on offense and defense. It's looks tough, with the signings all the other teams have made, but what I love about football is everything doesn't always work out the way everyone thinks. 

Lol, if it did we would have been multiple sb winners with the likes of bam Morris,  Grbac, Montana, Smith etc.

4 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Lol, if it did we would have been multiple sb winners with the likes of bam Morris,  Grbac, Montana, Smith etc.

In fairness we were one Kimble Anders easy catch away from the SB with Montana.