Are the Chiefs in Trouble ??????

I think it's a bit of an overreaction for anyone to say the Chiefs are in trouble at this point in the season. Seems to me last year at this time we needed to overhaul the entire offensive line and to this point we had signed Thuney and that was it. Some analysts were ripping the Chiefs. That turned out okay I think until we get through the draft and cuts and stuff I'll trust in Veach. 

6 hours ago, dhitter said:

I think it's a bit of an overreaction for anyone to say the Chiefs are in trouble at this point in the season. Seems to me last year at this time we needed to overhaul the entire offensive line and to this point we had signed Thuney and that was it. Some analysts were ripping the Chiefs. That turned out okay I think until we get through the draft and cuts and stuff I'll trust in Veach. 

Hell, a lot overreacted when we started 3-4 and said we would not win 4 more games let alone get into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, mex said:

In fairness we were one Kimble Anders easy catch away from the SB with Montana.

Is my memory that foggy? What are you referring to? I can only think of the ass beating we took in orchard park where Thurman Thomas destroyed a really good defense. 

19 hours ago, moons314 said:

Is my memory that foggy? What are you referring to? I can only think of the ass beating we took in orchard park where Thurman Thomas destroyed a really good defense. 

Yep.  I was there.  When Bruce Smith drove Montana's head into the frozen turf it was over.  Chiefs were already down a couple scores.  Dave Krieg had no chance to bring them back.  You could feel the team deflate after the Montana hit. 

1 minute ago, Joe_Chief said:

Yep.  I was there.  When Bruce Smith drove Montana's head into the frozen turf it was over.  Chiefs were already down a couple scores.  Dave Krieg had no chance to bring them back.  You could feel the team deflate after the Montana hit. 

I remember the game as well. I was just starting to get into the Chiefs back then. I remember Montana holding his head with both hands, looking dazed. After that playoff run, I followed the Chiefs religiously after that, and shared the pain over the years with all of you. 

The problem with draft is it is a lot more hit and miss.  I think we have put a lot of pressure on the team hitting on players in the draft.  Now part of it will be on the coaching to find ways to play to a player's strength,  so with that in mind it is not quite as bad as it seems.  Offensively , we should be pretty good.  I think on both sides of the ball, we need to be willing to adapt to what things we do well.   We will not be able to just line up and play the way we want to play and leave it at that. 

3 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

The problem with draft is it is a lot more hit and miss.  I think we have put a lot of pressure on the team hitting on players in the draft.  Now part of it will be on the coaching to find ways to play to a player's strength,  so with that in mind it is not quite as bad as it seems.  Offensively , we should be pretty good.  I think on both sides of the ball, we need to be willing to adapt to what things we do well.   We will not be able to just line up and play the way we want to play and leave it at that. 

The offense is fine, barring severe injury.  They could use a swing tackle and top WR, but can score 30/game with what they have.   The defense is in bad shape at this point.  They need a starter at every level, DE, IDL, cover LB, CB, and third S.  If the draft produces even two of those it will be successful.  So the Chiefs need to sign Ingram, Z. Smith, and a DB or two and most of those are out of reach.  Gonna be interesting between now and May. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The offense is fine, barring severe injury.  They could use a swing tackle and top WR, but can score 30/game with what they have.   The defense is in bad shape at this point.  They need a starter at every level, DE, IDL, cover LB, CB, and third S.  If the draft produces even two of those it will be successful.  So the Chiefs need to sign Ingram, Z. Smith, and a DB or two and most of those are out of reach.  Gonna be interesting between now and May. 

from what I saw Z Smith backed out of the  Ravens offer when he saw the offers that Von Miller and Chandler got no way we can  match those or should IMO

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

from what I saw Z Smith backed out of the  Ravens offer when he saw the offers that Von Miller and Chandler got no way we can  match those or should IMO

Don't have to match the Miller deal.  My understanding is that Smith would have received about $8 million from the Ravens.  Maybe the Chiefs could sign him for $10 million.  His back issues will hold his value down and signing him is a risk.  

Every team outside maybe the Bills was considerably less talented than us.  Obviously not saying a less talented team can't beat us because we saw Cincy do it twice, but every team had to be desperate to catch up.   

Adam's real numbers are more like 22 apy not 28.   This might add a little to Hill's contract but it won't be stupid imo.

Every other team has blown their wad early and in most cases overpaid on aging vets they hope will produce.   Chandler Jones and Khalil Mack.   The Broncos mortgaged their future.   If those teams are going to do it then it has to be this year.  Mack and Jones and probably Gregory aren't going to be studs much longer.   Broncos and Raiders traded important pics to get guys.   The Chargers are the real threat because of Herbert but Allen isn't getting younger and they have issues on their Oline as well.   

The gap between us and the rest of the AFC is smaller but we should have all seen this coming with Mahomes contract eventually costing more.   Reality is we are still one of the best teams in the AFC today and we still are going to add a DE and probably some more bargain pieces.   

I think we will be fine.   I look for this O with the addition of JuJu to be next level scary this year.   

So not Matt Ryan goes to the Colts.  If he has anything left in the tank, they will also be contenders this fall.  Is everyone coming to the AFC?  The NFC has an aging Brady, an Adamsless Rogers, and Stafford.  Look at the QB lineup for the AFC.  Amazing. 

35 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So not Matt Ryan goes to the Colts.  If he has anything left in the tank, they will also be contenders this fall.  Is everyone coming to the AFC?  The NFC has an aging Brady, an Adamsless Rogers, and Stafford.  Look at the QB lineup for the AFC.  Amazing. 

Yeah it really is crazy.  AFC is so loaded it's insanity.

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Every team outside maybe the Bills was considerably less talented than us.  Obviously not saying a less talented team can't beat us because we saw Cincy do it twice, but every team had to be desperate to catch up.   

Adam's real numbers are more like 22 apy not 28.   This might add a little to Hill's contract but it won't be stupid imo.

Every other team has blown their wad early and in most cases overpaid on aging vets they hope will produce.   Chandler Jones and Khalil Mack.   The Broncos mortgaged their future.   If those teams are going to do it then it has to be this year.  Mack and Jones and probably Gregory aren't going to be studs much longer.   Broncos and Raiders traded important pics to get guys.   The Chargers are the real threat because of Herbert but Allen isn't getting younger and they have issues on their Oline as well.   

The gap between us and the rest of the AFC is smaller but we should have all seen this coming with Mahomes contract eventually costing more.   Reality is we are still one of the best teams in the AFC today and we still are going to add a DE and probably some more bargain pieces.   

I think we will be fine.   I look for this O with the addition of JuJu to be next level scary this year.   

Nice way to make the other afc west teams who blew there load would be to grab a stud RT. 
that’s on top of my mind along with DE. 
Cross my fingers we find another Swartz type RT that can one on one match ups. 
these teams are doing this to get pressure with front four only and playing coverage as we saw last year. We need to neutralize that. I’d also like to see a RB not that Reid would use them. 

2 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Nice way to make the other afc west teams who blew there load would be to grab a stud RT. 
that’s on top of my mind along with DE. 
Cross my fingers we find another Swartz type RT that can one on one match ups. 
these teams are doing this to get pressure with front four only and playing coverage as we saw last year. We need to neutralize that. I’d also like to see a RB not that Reid would use them. 

I love Andy Reid.  Some of his tendencies at times drive me crazy but he is an incredible coach.  I wish he would course correct and would have made a run at La'El Collin and lined up in 12 personnel and got creative with running smash mouth football with play action and keep teams guessing.   That is one thing that no one in the AFC West has done is bolster their run D.   It is something our Oline could exploit at will and if we had a little more dynamic RB we would be unstoppable.   All those speed rushers would have to set the edge all game long which is frustrating and not nearly as glamorous.  

At the end of the day our defense was meh last year and our qb finally had one of those halfs of football that he really hasn't shown in his career.   We will be fine.  They will surge to catch up and then we will finish FA off with some great solid moves that no media will talk about but at the end of the season will be what makes us the best in the AFC.  

I think Chiefs will probably finish 3rd in the west this year.  I just don’t see how they are the favorites at this point.  Both the Chargers and Donkeys played the Chiefs tight last year.  Now, they have seriously come to play with their signings.  Chiefs better figure it out or miss the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

I think Chiefs will probably finish 3rd in the west this year.  I just don’t see how they are the favorites at this point.  Both the Chargers and Donkeys played the Chiefs tight last year.  Now, they have seriously come to play with their signings.  Chiefs better figure it out or miss the playoffs.

You sound more like Mr. Ed, not Mr. Ev. 

Chargers and Broncos have added some talent for sure.  And the Chargers and Broncos have question marks at the head coach position also.  And that's big.  Seems like every year  the Browns have added some big name player that is gonna make them great. And the Redskins.  And Cowboys.  And the Rams (although it finally worked for them).  I'd much rather have continuity and excellence at the QB and Head Coach than a better defensive end.