Tyreek Hill Trade????

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

because they didn't

Thank you!  I realize that but, Twitter was reporting they did and many talking heads with knowledge of the Chiefs were wondering the same thing when I posted that.   Obviously makes more sense knowing they didn't offer that.  I'm happy with what we got.  Hate losing Hill but if we had to know at least we got a decent haul and got a lot of cap relief.

29 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

I love Tyreek Hill. He is getting 120 million contract extension. Sorry guys, but that is too much dollars. He is good, but at that price we probably are going to have a hard time building a championship roster. I i.agine Tyreek told them the compensation he wanted and it was too much and he likely would have held out.  I think the Chiefs made the correct move.  Perhaps Reid now will embrace a more balanced attack and we adapt the offense accordingly. Teams may not  continually play two deep safety. I think our opportunity in this draft with 2 1st, 2 2nd 2 3rd, 2 4th round picks really allows us to field a lot better team. Let's not forget this also gives us 21 million more in cap space. And more cap space in following years. We will have the ability to get younger. While we cannot replace Hill, I do not think we will have as much of a drop-off losing hi. As some might think. The overall net gain for the Chiefs outweighs the loss of Hill.  For Miami, I do not think history will look at this trade as being favorable, while the Chiefs have the opportunity hear to get better as lo g as Veach hits on the picks we received.

great post. I hated this news when it broke, but at the end of the day it may end up being a good thing as long as Veach hits on the picks. As others have said, maybe defenses will not be dropping into coverage so much now. Dont know. 

It is going to be a very interesting from now till end of regular season. 

I'm happy with the trade, would be nicer if Miami actually had their mid 1st around but I guess that would mean less picks in total.

We can easily get 2 solid WRs for the money Hill was apparently demanding and 5 picks over 2 years is a very good value for any WR. I see this as a huge win for the Chiefs and if used right those picks could bring in much needed cap relief with solid rookie contracts. 

I would still refrain from selecting any WRs early on as we should be in a position to bring multiple FAs while using those picks to fix the defense, once that's taken care of we can start worrying about offensive playmakers in future drafts. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Don't you think the Chiefs offer would give Hill financial stability?  Even an average financial advisor could take that contract and earn Hill $5 million/year for the rest of his life. 

Well sure. But what's better

50 Mil guranteed or 72 mil guranteed?

5 minutes ago, artsy said:

More is always better.  It's human nature.  The trade off is how much better vs. what are you giving up.  If Hill was happy here, liked working with Mahomes, and had chances at more SBs and a HOF slot, then does that extra that is more than he can spend really worth it?  One thing we can assume is that his agents are much happier with the deal.  

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

More is always better.  It's human nature.  The trade off is how much better vs. what are you giving up.  If Hill was happy here, liked working with Mahomes, and had chances at more SBs and a HOF slot, then does that extra that is more than he can spend really worth it?  One thing we can assume is that his agents are much happier with the deal.  

That's a difference of $22 MILLION dollars. I'm sure he can make peace playing in a lesser situation. Already had a ring and knows this is his last big contract in all likelihood.  Easy decision. 

With his numbers, as a Chief.. 

he finishes his Chiefs career with a staggering 7,349 regular-season scrimmage yards and 62 total regular-season touchdowns, as well as 1,172 playoff scrimmage yards and six total playoff touchdowns.

Sb champ. 
Freaking Jet Chip Wasp!! 

He plays another 4 years and puts up even just reasonable numbers and he’s a HOF WR. 

maybe it’s more important to get money now. His “legacy” is already intact in most regards. 

25 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I wonder if there has ever been a situation where a team drafted a player in the 5th round, got 6 seasons out of them and then traded him for a 1, 2, 4, 4 and 6 or anything similar.

I was thinking about that also. 

I had wondered how this was all going to work out, and the trade thing was in the back of my mind. Having said that, It did surprise me like all of you.

I've really liked having Hill on the Chiefs, but always worried about him and his decisions off the field. The Chiefs gave him a shot drafting him, but I suppose that doesn't mean a lot now. 

Veach has got to make the most of this. I'm actually a little more excited about the draft now. 

21 minutes ago, artsy said:

I think it depends on a few things. 50 million for any WR with multiple SB rings is definitely much higher than 72 million with just a single ring. Another ring or two is obviously never a guarantee here like anywhere else but if a player that already made some nice money is willing to take the risk the payout could be much greater over their career as opposed to just the playing years. 

Just look at all the money Romo is making, his latest deal is like double what he earned in the NFL and he's a QB so it's much easier to get those posts. Any WR will have to do more to get the same look.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

35 and 38 is slightly better than 29 and 50 imo. but whatever its basically the same.

No it is not. We also got two 4th rounders and a 6th rounder.  They offered 5 and 38. That is all.  We also get 5th year options with first-round picks.

Just now, sith13 said:

I think it depends on a few things. 50 million for any WR with multiple SB rings is definitely much higher than 72 million with just a single ring. Another ring or two is obviously never a guarantee here like anywhere else but if a player that already made some nice money is willing to take the risk the payout could be much greater over their career as opposed to just the playing years. 

Just look at all the money Romo is making, his latest deal is like double what he earned in the NFL and he's a QB so it's much easier to get those posts. Any WR will have to do more to get the same look.

I think Hill understood this is a business. I'm sure he felt like this was his chance at maximizing his finances. SB rings aren't promised, but that Contract is. 

Furthermore, we really did need the compensation we received.  Hopefully we can revamp the defense with some young talent and get back to running the ball with some real play action game instead of watching pat go out there make miracles every week.

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

35 and 38 is slightly better than 29 and 50 imo. but whatever its basically the same.

As far as I understand Hill wasn't keen on joining the Jets. I guess the income tax situation in Florida was much more intriguing and they have something resembling a QB over there. The picks are somewhat the same as you mentioned but may be Veach values the 5th year option but the key is probably Hill's decision as any rumblings on his part could eventually lower the compensation as time passed.

I really hate to see Tyreek go and I don't think we will be able to replace him, however it is probably best in the long run.  In addition to the picks, freeing up the cap space this year will be huge.  We had no good way of addressing our pass rush with the current cap.  I wish we made this trade a little earlier so we would have been in the mix for the top edge rushers.

I think Hill did the smart thing. He is 28  with his last shot at a massive deal in a year when people spending drunkenly. Chiefs did the smart thing knowing we lose him next year. He is not the personality that you want to tag and take that away next year. 

I am still sad about it, but it was best for everyone but the Phins. They have 2 deep field speedsters and a QB with no arm. 

Just now, VIChiefsFan said:

I really hate to see Tyreek go and I don't think we will be able to replace him, however it is probably best in the long run.  In addition to the picks, freeing up the cap space this year will be huge.  We had no good way of addressing our pass rush with the current cap.  I wish we made this trade a little earlier so we would have been in the mix for the top edge rushers.

Agree. I think the Raiders over pay of Adams changed things. KC probably thought they could get Hill signed within reason. Still glad Veach made this deal.

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

Agree. I think the Raiders over pay of Adams changed things. KC probably thought they could get Hill signed within reason. Still glad Veach made this deal.

Raiders screwed us. But likely helped us rebuild for years to come. As pissed as I am for all the additions in the West, I know we were putting high dollar band aids on an overall weak roster. They are not happy about us getting 5 extra picks with long term QB solved. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

According to what i heard, the chiefs and tyreek had a deal already in place but the Adams trade pretty much scuttled all of that, so when Rosenhaus wanted Reek to be the highest paid WR and that he would not play under the Tag the chiefs said they would try to find a trade for him

I was wondering if he wasnt gonna try to get his money back, that he lost with his last contract, and his first contract, because of other things.. 

and seems like thats the case.. well good for him.. its time for him to collect a fat check.. thank god its somebody else paying him for what he did for us.  ;)