Tyreek Hill Trade????

Kansas City Chiefs HC Andy Reid has made his first public comments since the Tyreek Hill trade.

The NFL’s annual owners’ meeting is taking place at The Breakers Resort in Palm Beach, Florida over the next few days. Speaking to reporters ahead of the festivities, Reid was asked about how the team handled the contract situation with Tyreek Hill that ultimately led to his trade from Kansas City.

“You can handle it any way you want to handle it. We handled it the way we did there,” Reid said, via Pro Football Talk’s Charean Williams. “We felt like Tyreek deserved an opportunity. We came in aggressive and then after we got to a point, we just said, ‘Hey, listen, in this day and age, you have issues that you have to deal with with the cap,’ so we felt like it was better to allow him to go ahead and be traded. You can go different routes. You can play hardball with a player and do that, or you can kind of go about the way I did. Or we did.”

There was no love lost between Hill and the Chiefs. No irreconcilable rift. It was simply a matter of doing what was best for both parties. Kansas City felt they’d made a number of aggressive offers to keep Hill, but ultimately came to the conclusion that with salary cap constraints it wasn’t the right move for the team. Instead of trying to play “hardball” and force Hill to play out his contract, the team decided to sell high.

“Listen, the cap never gets far away from your thought process, because you’re always dealing with it,” Reid continued. “So (General Manager) Brett (Veach) has got to sit in there and manage that with his guys and if you want to keep consistency throughout years you’ve got to be able to do that and still stay at a high level. So I love Tyreek Hill. There was no rift between Tyreek Hill and myself. I thought he deserved an opportunity if that’s where he wanted to go. He’s a family man with a few kids, and he’s got to be able to support them now and down the road and this gives him an opportunity to do that. Put him a place where he has a home, and at the same time, it gave us great compensation.”

As for the compensation, Reid believes it’s a big part of why the team will remain competitive. That will allow the Chiefs an opportunity to continue to build around Patrick Mahomes, both with draft capital and the $72.2 million in guaranteed money that they’re not spending on Hill over the next four years.

“Obviously, Patrick’s a big part of that (belief the team can remain competitive),” Reid said. “You want to surround him with good players, but that’s a sticky question, because we did try to sign Tyreek at a certain cost. Once it gets past that, now you can see what we’re doing here with the players we brought in, and we feel they’re very good football players. So we’ll see. I mean the end result is going to be what takes place during the season, but Brett’s building this thing back where we feel comfortable that we can go win on Sundays.”

2 hours ago, xen said:

Contract details starting to come in.  Woof, that cap hit next year fully guaranteed at over 30m.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/tyreek-hill-19119/

Not a bad way to give some future flexibility as long as they have the space to do so. Also the minimum cap spending limit may have played a role as well, the bottom-feeders need to spend some money with the new CBA.

6 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Looks like it was Reid making the decision. Definitely a smart move to trade him instead of forcing him for another year and then dealing with the tag/trade situation. 

Now Hill will be able to feed his few kids :D

I know this is a business and contracts are contracts, but if a player doesn't want to play for you or the team anymore why not try to get as much as you can for him. Forcing Hill to play thru the last year of his contract would've probably damaged relationships with Hill and the chiefs and we would've never got the compensation we got this time. They traded hill at his most Value, and Hill got the payday he wanted and deserved. Win, Win for everyone!

We traded Jared Allen basically for Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles.  That's probably ok.

We traded Marcus Peters basically for Juan Thornhill and Armani Watts.  Not as ok.

Those are the 2 trades that the Chiefs have made that seem similar in quality of player given up.  All 3 at premium positions and all three in the prime of their career.

We really need to hit on the draft picks.  Obviously that is obvious.  

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

We traded Jared Allen basically for Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles.  That's probably ok.

We traded Marcus Peters basically for Juan Thornhill and Armani Watts.  Not as ok.

Those are the 2 trades that the Chiefs have made that seem similar in quality of player given up.  All 3 at premium positions and all three in the prime of their career.

Thanks. I think you have to ad in who was signed as a result of freeing up cap money. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

If I remember correctly we traded Gonzo for Javier Arenas 👀

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

If I remember correctly we traded Gonzo for Javier Arenas 👀

30 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yes, we got a 2nd and used it on him. That was due to stupidity of the gm and coach drafting.

Yes but ultimately we traded Arenas for The Sausage and the training camp arrival photos alone made it all worth it.

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Looks like it was Reid making the decision. Definitely a smart move to trade him instead of forcing him for another year and then dealing with the tag/trade situation. 

Now Hill will be able to feed his few kids :D

The cost of food is definitely going up.

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

to be fair I remember Tyreek having to punt catch a few Patrick throws but yea that concern is real. After awhile I think  the Phins will have to hope for   more YAC that just out running people then catching which IMO is not a bad bet.

I agree with that. But I think it's not impossible though that Tyreek gets a little more punishment with Tua throwing him a bunch of short crossing shit.  

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

to be fair I remember Tyreek having to punt catch a few Patrick throws but yea that concern is real. After awhile I think  the Phins will have to hope for   more YAC that just out running people then catching which IMO is not a bad bet.

The most famous play in Chiefs history, Two Three Jet Chip Wasp, saw Hill waiting for a Mahomes pass to get to him.  Lucky that the Niners defenders were so lost. 

11 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The most famous play in Chiefs history, Two Three Jet Chip Wasp, saw Hill waiting for a Mahomes pass to get to him.  Lucky that the Niners defenders were so lost. 

It may be the most famous play for the younger guys, but the league would say that Hank Stram's 65 Toss Power Trap that won Superbowl IV was the Chiefs most famous play.

29 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It may be the most famous play for the younger guys, but the league would say that Hank Stram's 65 Toss Power Trap that won Superbowl IV was the Chiefs most famous play.

Meh that game wasn't even close and the only reason 65 toss power trap is famous is because of Stram being mic'ed up.

Yes it was a great moment in Chiefs history but not really for the actual play but because it was the first time a HC had a mic on during the Super Bowl and how he called the play.  

Wasp has that exact same "mic" player/coach talking about the play but the actually completion of the play was much much much greater value with Wasp than 65 TPT

5 minutes ago, Balto said:

Meh that game wasn't even close and the only reason 65 toss power trap is famous is because of Stram being mic'ed up.

Yes it was a great moment in Chiefs history but not really for the actual play but because it was the first time a HC had a mic on during the Super Bowl and how he called the play.  

Wasp has that exact same "mic" player/coach talking about the play but the actually completion of the play was much much much greater value with Wasp than 65 TPT

65 TPT

Final year before AFL-NFL merger, Chiefs in championship game 3 years prior

Chiefs up by 9 when it was run, around 5 mins left in first half

3rd and goal from 5 yard line

Final score 23-7

Jet Chip Wasp

Chiefs haven't been to a superbowl in roughly 1 million years (rounding up here)

Chiefs down 20-10 late in the 3rd

3rd and 15 from the Chiefs own 35 yard line

Final score 31-20

Jet Chip Wasp is the more important play in KC history.  We probably lose the superbowl without that play.

27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

X's2

I agree plus the Defense was insanely good, I'd say most underrated D of all time good?  But having 5 turnovers and a total of 67 rushing yards!