Who's next at Wide Receiver?

From KC Star:

One of the biggest questions entering free agency this year was who the Chiefs might be able to add as their new No. 2 wide receiver. The answer arrived in the form of former Pittsburgh Steelers veteran JuJu Smith-Schuster, who signed a one-year deal with Kansas City in free agency.

A week later, that question, infused with some new urgency, is even more pressing: Who’s the Chiefs’ No. 1 now?

The Chiefs are left looking for a new leading man at wide receiver following Wednesday’s trade of star wideout Tyreek Hill to the Dolphins in exchange for Miami’s first-, second- and fourth-round picks in next month’s 2022 NFL Draft and fourth- and sixth-round picks in the 2023 draft.

Hill is one of the NFL’s elite playmakers, and three-time All-Pros and six-time Pro Bowlers don’t exactly grow on trees. But the Chiefs have time to identify a suitable successor, and that determination will likely wait until after this year’s draft, which takes place in late April.

In trading away Hill, Kansas City came away with a bounty of draft picks, adding three to their nine previous selections. Five of the team’s picks will occur in the top 100 slots, including back-to-back picks in the first round (29th and 30th overall).

Simply put, there will be talent — and perhaps even a Day 1 starter — at the wide receiver position, should the Chiefs elect to go that route in the first three rounds.

But before diving into the draft, let’s look at the Chiefs’ roster of remaining wide receivers in the wake of Wednesday’s blockbuster trade.

WHO’S ON THE ROSTER NOW?

The Chiefs have 12 wide receivers on their offseason roster:

Mecole Hardman

JuJu Smith-Schuster

Corey Coleman

Josh Gordon

Daurice Fountain

Gehrig Dieter

Cornell Powell

Omar Bayless

Gary Jennings

Mathew Sexton

Chris Finke

Justin Watson

Among this group, Hardman is the lone man returning from last season’s active 53-player roster. Gordon appeared in 12 games but finished the season on the practice squad. Fountain bounced back and forth between the active roster and practice squad.

With the 2021 season in the books and a full offseason to better acclimate themselves to coach Andy Reid’s scheme, Gordon and Fountain are dark-horse candidates to step up in Hill’s place. Not as direct replacements, but perhaps with enhanced responsibilities.

Smith-Schuster and Coleman, a former first-round pick with the Cleveland Browns, joined the Chiefs during free agency.

Gordon, Fountain, Powell, Dieter, Bayless, Jennings, Sexton, Watson and Finke are signed to reserve/future contracts.

Byron Pringle and Demarcus Robinson, two key contributors for the Chiefs last season, signed elsewhere during free agency. Marcus Kemp, a special teams standout, remains an unrestricted free agent.

POTENTIAL FREE AGENTS

The Chiefs began free agency without a lot of spending money, which put them behind the power curve in signing some of the top available free-agent wide receivers.

Before the Chiefs could blink, the likes of Allen Robinson, Mike Williams, Christian Kirk and Russell Gage were off the market.

There are options still available, such as Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr., but both turn 30 in November and wouldn’t be long-term solutions to replace Hill. Beckham is also recovering from a torn ACL suffered in the Super Bowl with the L.A. Rams.

The Chiefs are scheduled to host Marquez Valdes-Scantling on a free-agent visit.

THE DRAFT

Sensibly speaking, this is where the Chiefs are most likely going to be able to address their wide receiver needs now that Hill has moved on to South Beach.

This year’s draft is widely regarded as loaded with talent at multiple positions, a point that Chiefs general manager Brett Veach made clear during the NFL Scouting Combine.

“I really like this draft,” he said in Indianapolis. “I think it’s a deep draft.”

Rob Rang, a respected long-time NFL draft analyst currently with FOXSports.com, agreed.

“Very deep,” Rang said of the wide receiver class in a text exchange with The Star. “Doesn’t have the consensus guy at the top, but otherwise is very similar to recent classes with starting-caliber players likely to still be available in mid rounds with some fun Day 3 sleepers.”

If wide receiver is on the Chiefs’ first-round menu, they’re likely to miss out on USC’s Drake London or Ohio State’s Garrett Wilson, both of whom are projected as early selections — unless they trade up.

Barring a move higher up in the order (which the Chiefs have the ammunition to pull off), patience until the end of the first round or into the second and third rounds could be the way to go.

Those stages of the draft could produce the likes of Alabama’s Jameson Williams, Georgia’s George Pickens, Kentucky’s Wan’Dale Robinson, Western Michigan’s Skyy Moore or Cincinnati’s Alec Pierce. Talent and fit in the Chiefs’ offensive scheme will help dictate what the team ultimately does with its wide receiver corps before next season begins.

The period between the present and the start of the late-April draft allows for two important things to happen:

1. The dust from Hill’s surprising departure can settle, and ...

2. the Chiefs can fully immerse themselves in the talent-evaluation process to make the best decision about how to proceed — especially now that it is clearly an identified and pressing need.

Just now, oldtimer said:

DK has pretty much Poo Poo'd any trade talks in regards to him going to KC. I'm not real sure he has much to say about it tho.

Can't since he's on a rookie contract but obviously no team will give up picks without a new deal in place so doesn't make sense to pursue him if he wants something else. 

7 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

if we go after DK then we should have just paid Tyreek, because DK is gonna want the Bag next

Yep, no reason to give away draft picks so we can make someone extremely rich. I don't mind trading 3rd day picks for players but anything earlier should have solid justification.

If my count is right, we have lost 21 players (or at least they haven't resigned yet). We have 12 picks. If we don't want Neme or Dan, then we got to get those depth/developmental players from somewhere.

I hope we don't get to carried away thinking we can't get a stud WR or Edge at 29 or 30.  I know what the boards say, but I believe they are wrong like they are every single year. We have 4 picks higher than what Metcalf. That year the first rounders where Brown (out of football) and Harry (should be out of football). The second rounders included Deebo, DK and AJ. You can see similar with Edge.

I think teams are fooling themselves to think they can pick THE guy. Its a crap shoot. Mocks and draft rankings are useless. The more picks we have the better chance to strike gold. Trading up is for suckers unless it is for a QB. Even then sometimes. 

I would trade back from 62 to 63. 63 is lucky for us. Creed, Gay, Thornhill, Kelce.

8 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Love Metcalf but it would be a bad decision business wise. Instead of finding Hill's "replacement" they are in a position to add a lot of talent....possibly spread out. The top end might not be as good but raise the floor a whole lot.

Pats did that with Brady and worked like a charm for almost 2 decades. As long as the WR2 type of guys are solid the defense can't cover them all and that may be much better for success as opposed to a single guy hoarding all the cap. 

18 minutes ago, DieHard said:

If my count is right, we have lost 21 players (or at least they haven't resigned yet). We have 12 picks. If we don't want Neme or Dan, then we got to get those depth/developmental players from somewhere.

I hope we don't get to carried away thinking we can't get a stud WR or Edge at 29 or 30.  I know what the boards say, but I believe they are wrong like they are every single year. We have 4 picks higher than what Metcalf. That year the first rounders where Brown (out of football) and Harry (should be out of football). The second rounders included Deebo, DK and AJ. You can see similar with Edge.

I think teams are fooling themselves to think they can pick THE guy. Its a crap shoot. Mocks and draft rankings are useless. The more picks we have the better chance to strike gold. Trading up is for suckers unless it is for a QB. Even then sometimes. 

I would trade back from 62 to 63. 63 is lucky for us. Creed, Gay, Thornhill, Kelce.

I agree Die hard.

The Key to Hill's success is three things actually....

1. Hill's Blazing speed

2. Mahomes ability to stay upright and throw the ball after the average 2.25 secs....(Mobility)

3. Mahomes with an arm strength and accuracy package that is unsurpassed.

Seems like KC still has 2 of the 3....

w

Realistically there are no WR options we can snag that will be anywhere near tyreek. Going to have to throw numbers at it and have our #5 option be a legit nfl player, rather than demarcus robinson or marcus kemp.

the way this is unfolding we may have to take the bolster the D route and hope to god mahomes can win games 21-17 by being amazing.

its not a strategy i prefer because the nfl rules want the offense to score 50 and handicap the D, making it essentially impossible to be a shutdown D anymore.

but this is kinda where we are at. Maybe have to use the cap saving to roll out calias campbell, a solid corner, and a couple d ends left on the market

50 minutes ago, West said:

This is the "big concern" out of Miami....Tua has the arm strength....but his accuracy has not been great.

w

I haven't watched a lot of him but from what I've seen he has decent range but seems to be floating a lot of throws. Doesn't seem like he has enough strength to throw darts like Mahomes or Allen so Hill will likely have to adjust to a whole new QB. 

Begining of the season should be fun and interesting basically a whole new WR core minus Hardman and the only pass catchers are him and Kelce returning from last year.   While teams dont have Hill to worry about they also will have no idea what the offense will look like either cause it can't really stay the same.   No matter what the names are opposing teams still won't know what to expect without Hill. 

Just now, Okiechief1 said:

Begining of the season should be fun and interesting basically a whole new WR core minus Hardman and the only pass catchers are him and Kelce returning from last year.   While teams dont have Hill to worry about they also will have no idea what the offense will look like either cause it can't really stay the same.   No matter what the names are opposing teams still won't know what to expect without Hill. 

Yet there will be the , it takes time to learn this offense so the play book is vanilla, conversation/excuses.

Will Reid really run the ball? Is Gray really going to be part of the offense? Can PM become Bradyesque and take the check downs? 

NFL reporter Jordan Schultz reports the Chiefs have "inquired" about trading for Laviska Shenault.

Shenault is believed to be on the trade block in Jacksonville with the new coaching staff in town and the splurge in free agency on Christian Kirk and Zay Jones along with re-signing Laquon Treadwell. Marvin Jones and Jamal Agnew are also still in the mix. The Jaguars need to move someone. Shenault is a former second-round pick who still has supporters around the league. Even before the trade of Tyreek Hill, the Chiefs needed wideout help.

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yet there will be the , it takes time to learn this offense so the play book is vanilla, conversation/excuses.

Will Reid really run the ball? Is Gray really going to be part of the offense? Can PM become Bradyesque and take the check downs? 

haha..great questions West. My answers would be: they have no choice.

We all watched andy reid turn Alex Smith and the KC offense into a juggernaut. There is no doubt in my mind that he can't restructure another one without Hill and soon Kelce. He has Mahomes, which is not even in his prime yet. I'm not worried at all. My only concern is does Reid have the drive and energy to do it all once again. 

Mahomes can see more single high safety now. He can utilize the long ball if there and still hit the underneath receivers. We may not have that one touch and go td ability we had with Hill, but we will have more options for Mahomes.

He goes through his reads so quickly and his mobility allows for for more time. I think we will be fine. Look at Kelce, imagine another 3 WRs on the field that has more speed, but not hill's speed. Mahomes will find them. Just have to win the single coverages. If anyone can match up and take advantage of mismatches, it is Mahomes and Reid.

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Pats did that with Brady and worked like a charm for almost 2 decades. As long as the WR2 type of guys are solid the defense can't cover them all and that may be much better for success as opposed to a single guy hoarding all the cap. 

That's a point that hasn't been talked about enough since the Hill trade.  Other teams have figured out how to cover Hill and the deep ball.  Sure, he is a unique talent and made special plays.  But if the Chiefs can upgrade the #2, #3, and #4 spots, they don't need such a special #1.  Mahomes looked to Hill and Kelce so much that defenses had them pegged.  They can't double everyone if there are more threats.  Hill  is a big loss, but it' doesn't mean the offense can't still move the ball.  Draft a Williams or Olave and fill in with good secondary targets.  The cost savings and extra draft capital could make this not such a devastating loss.