Who's next at Wide Receiver?

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

NFL reporter Jordan Schultz reports the Chiefs have "inquired" about trading for Laviska Shenault.

Shenault is believed to be on the trade block in Jacksonville with the new coaching staff in town and the splurge in free agency on Christian Kirk and Zay Jones along with re-signing Laquon Treadwell. Marvin Jones and Jamal Agnew are also still in the mix. The Jaguars need to move someone. Shenault is a former second-round pick who still has supporters around the league. Even before the trade of Tyreek Hill, the Chiefs needed wideout help.

I would not hate this.

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

That's a point that hasn't been talked about enough since the Hill trade.  Other teams have figured out how to cover Hill and the deep ball.  Sure, he is a unique talent and made special plays.  But if the Chiefs can upgrade the #2, #3, and #4 spots, they don't need such a special #1.  Mahomes looked to Hill and Kelce so much that defenses had them pegged.  They can't double everyone if there are more threats.  Hill  is a big loss, but it' doesn't mean the offense can't still move the ball.  Draft a Williams or Olave and fill in with good secondary targets.  The cost savings and extra draft capital could make this not such a devastating loss. 

Definitely, they can cover 1 or 2 players for sure but if we had more consistent guys out of the top 2 it would have been a whole other story. I think 2 or 3 worse than Hill but dependable options mean an instant upgrade to our receiving corps and this is a very good first step. 

I would love getting Shenault.  

JuJu Smith-Shuster

Marquez Valdez-Scantling

Mecole Hardman

Laviska Shenault

Rookie

Josh Gordon/Darice Fountain/2nd rookie

That isn't a bad group of wr's.   It doesn't have the top end but the floor is definitely way higher.    

Interesting it seems like we might be shifting away from short and smaller shifty wr's to bigger wr's.   

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

JuJu Smith-Shuster

Marquez Valdez-Scantling

Mecole Hardman

Laviska Shenault

Rookie

That isn't a bad group of wr's.   It doesn't have the top end but the floor is definitely way higher.    

Interesting it seems like we might be shifting away from short and smaller shifty wr's to bigger wr's.   

There's no true #1 WR on that list.  May have to come through the draft and accept the learning curve. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

There's no true #1 WR on that list.  May have to come through the draft and accept the learning curve. 

Even if 1 cb locks up the WR1, whoever is at the spot, the other 3 I like against their 2nd, 3rd cb and a LB. 3 WR set, 1TE, RB out of backfield.....we will flood the lanes.

1 hour ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

if that's true, it sounds like a good plan to me.  there won't be near as many double teams on Kelce and other wide receivers and give Patrick several options.

Oh I bet Kelce gets all the attention and doubles but instead of teams being able to double him and Hill there are 3-4 other guys that can win 1v1.   Our top end isn't as good but our avg is way way better.    I'm curious about Gordon too.  Not saying he will be a 1000 yard guy or anything but if he can get caught up to the speed with this offseason he could be another weapon as the 4-5 wr.

The best WR's always seem to emerge out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds, sometimes later or undrafted.   It is kind of a crapshoot.  Veach will use his picks or grab PS players from other teams.  One out of three will emerge as a very good player who will develop chemistry with Mahomes.  Whoever we get will be better with Mahomes throwing to him than he would be with someone else throwing to him.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, jetlord said:

Maybe that will be what is needed. Kelce is a number at the end of the day

On 3/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, Lamardirts said:

Oh I bet Kelce gets all the attention and doubles but instead of teams being able to double him and Hill there are 3-4 other guys that can win 1v1.   Our top end isn't as good but our avg is way way better.    I'm curious about Gordon too.  Not saying he will be a 1000 yard guy or anything but if he can get caught up to the speed with this offseason he could be another weapon as the 4-5 wr.

Actually the top end speed might be better, because there will be two of them, Hardman and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Both run in the 4.3's.Hardman will run more deep routes, which he is also better at.  So the field will be just as stretched.  Then there is Kelce/Fortson in middle.  JuJu should play the short game almost as well as Watkins did and probably be more available.  Then add in the RB's.  It's always possible that the offense could be as good as 2018.  I wouldn't worry about opponents not having to play 2-high.  If they do that, they will get burned by either Kelce or JuJu. Plus we have a better line to protect and also run better. Concluding that we will be not as good a passing team I believe is premature.

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like the window for trading for a WR1 is closing quickly.  Between all the new contracts, and teams making it clear that they're WRs aren't available, I think the Chiefs are going to have to turn to FA if they want that veteran receiver that Mahomes has been reported to have asked for.

Looking at what's out there, I'd like to see the Chiefs go after BOTH Will Fuller and ODB on one year deals.  They should both be fairly affordable, giving us some amazing possibilities when a fresh ODB comes back later in the season and hopefully does for us what he did for the Rams last season.  This also keeps some other team from grabbing ODB and using him against us in the post season.

I've never been a fan of ODB personally, but I saw the maturity in him and it might be worth giving him a chance.  

Just my .02...

25 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

And yet they could have done this for Hill

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/trade-offer-tyreek-hill-revealed-dolphins/

Jets trade offer to the Chiefs for Tyreek Hill - that Kansas City would have accepted if the WR opted for NY - did not include a first-round pick, but rather multiple picks that were commensurate to the Dolphins’ offer based on the draft value chart that teams use, per sources.

39 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

It feels like the window for trading for a WR1 is closing quickly.  Between all the new contracts, and teams making it clear that they're WRs aren't available, I think the Chiefs are going to have to turn to FA if they want that veteran receiver that Mahomes has been reported to have asked for.

Looking at what's out there, I'd like to see the Chiefs go after BOTH Will Fuller and ODB on one year deals.  They should both be fairly affordable, giving us some amazing possibilities when a fresh ODB comes back later in the season and hopefully does for us what he did for the Rams last season.  This also keeps some other team from grabbing ODB and using him against us in the post season.

I've never been a fan of ODB personally, but I saw the maturity in him and it might be worth giving him a chance.  

Just my .02...

ODB= Old Dirty Bastard.  I think he died. 

On 3/25/2022 at 9:27 PM, Lamardirts said:

JuJu Smith-Shuster

Marquez Valdez-Scantling

Mecole Hardman

Laviska Shenault

Rookie

the entire nfl adjusted to our short fast wrs with short fast cornerbacks, and safeties.. now we are going big.. let the mismatches roll

1 hour ago, robgar said:

the entire nfl adjusted to our short fast wrs with short fast cornerbacks, and safeties.. now we are going big.. let the mismatches roll

Yeah.  I also believe that Mahomes can put a ball within inches of where he wants it, if he has any protection at all.  It is just a matter of reps so that Mahomes has the knowledge of exactly where to put it for each of his receivers.  If Mahomes has confidence that a receiver will be where they are supposed to be, the ball will be catchable for them.  So route running and being on the same page and  good hands is more important than raw speed in my opinion. Its nice to have all of those things, but size and good hands will make up for speed.  One question as yet unanswered at this point is how good are the new receivers at blocking.  It is almost as important as receiving.

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

One question as yet unanswered at this point is how good are the new receivers at blocking.  It is almost as important as receiving.

Don't have the answer, but Hill wasn't a blocker.  Didn't need to be and he couldn't risk injury.  

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Don't have the answer, but Hill wasn't a blocker.  Didn't need to be and he couldn't risk injury.  

With that kind of speed, vision, and hands, a WR doesn't need to block.  You are right. But a good blocking WR can sure open up the running game, screens, etc.