Who's next at Wide Receiver?

16 hours ago, Balto said:

How would you all feel about Veach giving up every pick he got for Hill to get JW?  If he truly is elite, saves over $20M in cap

I'd feel like Veach paid more than he had to.  If Williams is top ten, he's not worth the picks it would take to get there.  If he lasts to 15, he can be had for a first and second or close to that.  Among the top four receivers, at least one should make it half way through the first round and even if they didn't, number five, six and seven aren't necessarily that big of a drop off.  Ryan Tracy, RGR, claims that there's no receiver in this draft that would have gone top three last year.  He could be right. 

I'm pretty sure there are but can't really remember any non-QB player in the 1st that cost multiple prime picks and was actually worth it in the hindsight. There's always some other player available for less that does just as good, if not better.

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

I'm pretty sure there are but can't really remember any non-QB player in the 1st that cost multiple prime picks and was actually worth it in the hindsight. There's always some other player available for less that does just as good, if not better.

Julio would be a WR example 

33 minutes ago, Balto said:

Julio would be a WR example 

I think he would be the perfect example since Jones is one of the best WRs of this century. Falcons gave up 2 1sts + 2nd + 2 4ths to get Jones but they could simply have a couple guys like Randall Cobb and Doug Baldwin without any trades and could still have a bunch of picks left to draft a few of the 24 pro bowlers that were selected after their original pick of #27. In fact fixing that defense would more likely get them a SB that Jones couldn't deliver. 

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think he would be the perfect example since Jones is one of the best WRs of this century. Falcons gave up 2 1sts + 2nd + 2 4ths to get Jones but they could simply have a couple guys like Randall Cobb and Doug Baldwin without any trades and could still have a bunch of picks left to draft a few of the 24 pro bowlers that were selected after their original pick of #27. In fact fixing that defense would more likely get them a SB that Jones couldn't deliver. 

A guy like Veach at least  understands that sometimes the best action is no action at all.  The fans in Atlanta may like this sort of stuff, but it is a franchise crippler in the end...and I do mean "in the end." Kind of like a suppository.

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

The assumption that they would have hit with those other picks is a stretch at best.  You can't just cherry pick a few names that worked out ok (I mean no where near the impact of Julio, but ok) and be like, just go get those guys.  They're more likely to go get a Jonathan Baldwin or a Titus Young.

15 hours ago, xen said:

The assumption that they would have hit with those other picks is a stretch at best.  You can't just cherry pick a few names that worked out ok (I mean no where near the impact of Julio, but ok) and be like, just go get those guys.  They're more likely to go get a Jonathan Baldwin or a Titus Young.

nbc sports GIF

16 hours ago, xen said:

True, may be every other pick would be a huge waste. However my initial point was more often than not there's some other options in the draft that make the huge blockbuster trade a very questionable one. There's no guarantee that the GM will get the right guys by ignoring a more likely star but with good scouting and coaching staying put generally maximizes the return. 

Another thing to keep in mind is the risk of trading up for someone like Charles Harris or Takkarist McKinley (Falcons gave up multiple picks for him) or Taco Charlton when there's already TJ Watt available on the board.