NFL Network reporter Jeffri Chadiha provided some updates on the Kansas City Chiefs’ recent free-agent visits and threw a new name into the fold in terms of free agent interests.

According to Chadiha, the Chiefs have an interest in former Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers CB Stephon Gilmore. Right now, the only thing stopping the team from signing Gilmore seems to be his asking price. Once considered one of the league’s premier shutdown corners, Gilmore dealt with injury throughout the 2021 NFL season, limiting him to just eight games with the Panthers.

The Chiefs have some newfound cap space following the trade of Tyreek Hill, but they seem to be hesitant to go all-in on any particular free agent right now. Gilmore would certainly be an impactful signing given the loss of Charvarius Ward, but Kansas City might have to leave their comfort zone if they’re to sign him. Expect them to continue to explore other options at the cornerback position as well.

As for the visits, Chadiha reports that the Chiefs are currently “50-50” on signing former Green Bay Packers WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who has taken or will soon take a visit with the Chiefs. Their confidence seems to be greater in their ability to add former Buccaneers RB Ronald Jones, who is also in town for a visit.

Again, the Chiefs seem to be taking a cautious approach here. They’re not in a rush because they want to make sure they’ve exhausted all options when it comes to improving the team.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Hope they add Gilmore if they can get him on an incentive heavy deal.  He would be a good fill in if the Chiefs don't get a starting CB in the draft or if they have to develop one.   What's his asking price?

31 is a bit tricky in that sense. Will be his last big contract but he'll want something as if he's still 28-29. The final figures will depend on how much he realizes his true value at this point as a guy who'll start declining rather soon. 

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

31 is a bit tricky in that sense. Will be his last big contract but he'll want something as if he's still 28-29. The final figures will depend on how much he realizes his true value at this point as a guy who'll start declining rather soon. 

He missed nine games last year so a big contract is just too risky.  The Chiefs don't need to panic and meet an outrageous price.  Sneed, Fenton, and a questionable Baker just isn't enough and adding Gilmore would mean not having to use a first round pick at CB. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

He missed nine games last year so a big contract is just too risky.  The Chiefs don't need to panic and meet an outrageous price.  Sneed, Fenton, and a questionable Baker just isn't enough and adding Gilmore would mean not having to use a first round pick at CB. 

With Veach's history at that position, what makes you think he has to spend a 1st round pick at CB?

16 minutes ago, xen said:

With Veach's history at that position, what makes you think he has to spend a 1st round pick at CB?

Bingo! I'm thinking it goes like this....1st draft pick edge, 2nd draft pick WR, 3rd pick corner. That makes sense to me but Veach is gonna Veach.

Free agent DL Arden Key is visiting the Chiefs on Friday.

This is Key's fourth visit of the offseason, as he's taken a whirlwind tour of the facilities in Detroit, Jacksonville, and Baltimore. Coming off an eight-sack season for the 49ers and set to play 2022 at only 26 years old, the young pass rusher has created a lot of interest in free agency.

The Kansas City Chiefs are continuing to stay active after trading wide receiver Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday. On Thursday, they hosted free-agent linebacker Jermaine Carter Jr. for a visit, according to a report from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.

Carter, 27, first entered the league as a fifth-round pick made by the Carolina Panthers during the 2018 NFL Draft. Carter spent the first four years of his career with the Panthers before becoming a free agent this offseason.

Over those four years, Carter appeared in 65 games, totaling 178 tackles (88 solo), including 88 tackles last season alone. Carter started all 17 games for the Panthers last season. He was listed as the team’s MIKE linebacker in 2021 but can do a little bit of everything. The Chiefs may see him as an upgrade over Ben Niemann, who remains a free agent.

Carter also played 27% of special-teams snaps for the Panthers last season. Prior to becoming a starter on defense the three previous seasons, his special-teams snaps came out 57% or higher.

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Free agent DL Arden Key is visiting the Chiefs on Friday.

This is Key's fourth visit of the offseason, as he's taken a whirlwind tour of the facilities in Detroit, Jacksonville, and Baltimore. Coming off an eight-sack season for the 49ers and set to play 2022 at only 26 years old, the young pass rusher has created a lot of interest in free agency.

Man, I hope we get a DE to sign for 3 or 4 years. So we can draft and groom one this year too.

47 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Bingo! I'm thinking it goes like this....1st draft pick edge, 2nd draft pick WR, 3rd pick corner. That makes sense to me but Veach is gonna Veach.

Why would anyone lock themselves in on a certain position at any pick in a draft this deep?   I mean it makes sense to me too lol, but veach is smarter than me

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I think 5 are round 7 so its unlikely all make it

Also 4 are 7th round picks. Had to look it up

We have 2 picks in each round thru 4 rounds. 6 picks in top 103, not 100 but close to 100 lol

1. 1st round (29th overall)
  2. 1st round (30th overall)
  3. 2nd round (50th overall)
  4. 2nd round (62nd overall)
  5. 3rd round (94th overall)
  6. 3rd round (103rd overall)
  7. 4th round (121st overall)
  8. 4th round (135th overall)
  9. 7th round (234th overall)
  10. 7th round (244th overall)
  11. 7th round (252nd overall)
  12. 7th round (260th overall)

11 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

agree, but this guy isn't a lock up for 4 years guy. this would be a 1 or 2 year deal to replace okafor as a rotational player

He’s better for us than Okafor.  With 8 sacks in 2021 he would have led our team in sacks for the year. 

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Also 4 are 7th round picks. Had to look it up

We have 2 picks in each round thru 4 rounds. 6 picks in top 103, not 100 but close to 100 lol

1. 1st round (29th overall)
  2. 1st round (30th overall)
  3. 2nd round (50th overall)
  4. 2nd round (62nd overall)
  5. 3rd round (94th overall)
  6. 3rd round (103rd overall)
  7. 4th round (121st overall)
  8. 4th round (135th overall)
  9. 7th round (234th overall)
  10. 7th round (244th overall)
  11. 7th round (252nd overall)
  12. 7th round (260th overall)

Thanks. This saves some time cause I can stop watching after the 4th round. Golf Course Early.

After disappointing endings to the last two seasons, after the Chiefs were deemed favorites to win it all, this will truly be an interesting year. KC may lose some on offense but the OL will be better, either CEH will develop or we will pick up Jones who I think is better than Williams honestly. JJ will add something to the O. Hardeman will hopefully build on a decent 2nd half of 2021 and Scantling may blossom in this offense. Maybe he can do more than GB asked of him (run go routes every down). I predict getting Fortson back will be huge as well. Will miss Hill of course. He was electrifying. This may force Mahomes to stay on script a little longer now, which actually may be a good thing for the long term. Defensively, losing Sorensen and Niemann is a positive if we get ANY production from their replacements. HB is a loss in leadership but his play had slipped. The only real loss to me is Ward. Hopefully, we'll get a couple studs in the DB room either through FA or the draft. I don't believe this crap that the rest of the AFC West has passed the Chiefs. A couple splash players doesn't equate to our overall team superiority.

Just now, kkuenn said:

We will move up I bet. I can see us trading back to get 5ths too at end of the 4th. Has veach ever not moved around?

I dont mind moving up on occasion, but veach needs to stop throwing away 3 picks every draft to move up 2 spots to draft people like mecole hardman. But yes please dump those 7ths for 1 good player in theory