Scantling signs 3 year deal

1 minute ago, moons314 said:

Yeah, but those contracts rarely make it to the final year. 

Yep. Still he may get extended if he is doing well or we keep him at it of he does not make the incentives. 3rd year would be 12 mil then, which might be a bargain. Have to see what the incentives are. Hopefully making 1000 yard receiving seasons.

59 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

One hopes he is Joe Horn going to Saints. Hated that KC didn’t keep him.

That would be nice.

What also sucks is when you talk to the average NFL fan they don't even realize he was drafted by and played for the Chiefs. I didn't know myself he was with the Chiefs that long and didn't do anything until he was 27.  

I just remember him making a big catch down the field in the Chiefs playoff loss against the Broncos.  A few seasons later he's with the Saints and dominating. 

Reid seems to recognize talent on the offensive side, so if MVC is any good, he will get it out of him.  

5 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i swear im not intentionally trying to be negative. i thought this was a 3 mil a year type of WR but would get 5 or 6 on the open market.

god i hope veach and reid are on top of things

I will agree with you on that. 

2 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

It’s funny. We all hate that hill was traded. Then we all realized it was smart not pay that money and we got picks. Now we hate the deal we gave MVS. 
I love my fellow chief fans. 

Adam Sandler Head Nod GIF

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

18 mil the first 2 years and with incentives could make 36 mil in 3.

The #Chiefs are signing former #Packers WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to a three-year, $30 million deal with $18 million in the first two years and incentives to reach a maximum of $36 million, his agents @NSAFootball tell @RapSheet and me. 💰💰

per his agents.  Again I want to see the real numbers

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

I think the Raiders made that trade & contract knowing KC would have to trade Hill or suffer losing other guys. They get a top receiver and screw KC. Think about it.

More likely it was a matter of keeping up with KC and the division (they were looking at last place hard) and pulling in one of Carr's old teammates and friends.  Screwing the market is just a pleasant side effect I'm sure.   KC not the only one screwed.  Diggs is gonna want the bag in Buffalo as well.

34 minutes ago, xen said:

More likely it was a matter of keeping up with KC and the division (they were looking at last place hard) and pulling in one of Carr's old teammates and friends.  Screwing the market is just a pleasant side effect I'm sure.   KC not the only one screwed.  Diggs is gonna want the bag in Buffalo as well.

I’m not gonna jump on the chiefs being screwed by raiders and Adam’s deal. Did it have a impact. Hell yah. But we have at least two games coming up against them. Let’s see who gets screwed. 

Are we seeing the chiefs transition to bigger receivers?  We’ve been undersized for so long, I’ve wondered if that performance by Chase in the regular season opened some eyes.  Pat can sling dimes, and bigger receivers can be “open” when covered, like Ward against Chase.  Ward was there every time, but Chase just made the plays, plays that a 5’10 receiver isn’t making.  Maybe we can see a philosophical shift to a more physical offense, bigger receivers.  It fits with our mauling line. 

10 hours ago, xen said:

Yes no doubt. I was just starting a conspiracy theory. Looks like it did not go far. LOL

15 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

It’s funny. We all hate that hill was traded. Then we all realized it was smart not pay that money and we got picks. Now we hate the deal we gave MVS. 
I love my fellow chief fans. 

I think here the numbers just don't justify the contract.  The guy is basically putting up Robinson/Hardman/Pringle numbers, but is getting paid much more...

Additionally, the guy seems to be too similar to Hardman.  If one Hardman didn't work, why would another, lol...

I think it comes down to this...  I don't believe that the chiefs or the fans believe that we are done with the WR1 slot.  Juju will be WR2.  So this is what the fans see/think (before MVS signing):

• WR1:  TBD FA or 1st/2nd round pick
  • WR2:  Juju - who is getting paid 2.9 mill
  • WR3:  Draft Pick/FA WR that puts up 400-600 yds in the 4-6 mill range
  • WR4:  Hardman - who is getting paid 4.4 mill

Chiefs fans also see that for the same amount of money we could have had someone like DJ Chark or Russell Gage, or even Cedrick Wilson or Byron Pringle back at a lower price.  While the price of players is going up, from a statistical standpoint the Chiefs overpayed for MVS.  Additionally, I'm a bit concerned about his health now.  After missing 5 games with a hamstring injury early on, he left his week 18 game with a back injury, and even with the bye, couldn't make it back for the playoff game two weeks later.  He may not be an olineman, but back injuries scare the hell out of me.  Many of them don't go away. 

Look, I'm not Veach, and i'm not the scouting team, but this just looks like we overpaid for someone that will be a WR3 at best...

16 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

I think here the numbers just don't justify the contract.  The guy is basically putting up Robinson/Hardman/Pringle numbers, but is getting paid much more...

Additionally, the guy seems to be too similar to Hardman.  If one Hardman didn't work, why would another, lol...

I think it comes down to this...  I don't believe that the chiefs or the fans believe that we are done with the WR1 slot.  Juju will be WR2.  So this is what the fans see/think (before MVS signing):

Chiefs fans also see that for the same amount of money we could have had someone like DJ Chark or Russell Gage, or even Cedrick Wilson or Byron Pringle back at a lower price.  While the price of players is going up, from a statistical standpoint the Chiefs overpayed for MVS.  Additionally, I'm a bit concerned about his health now.  After missing 5 games with a hamstring injury early on, he left his week 18 game with a back injury, and even with the bye, couldn't make it back for the playoff game two weeks later.  He may not be an olineman, but back injuries scare the hell out of me.  Many of them don't go away. 

Look, I'm not Veach, and i'm not the scouting team, but this just looks like we overpaid for someone that will be a WR3 at best...

Again, this guy didnt get the targets because they were force feeding the ball to Adams.  And at just shy of 6'5" MVS is nothing like Hardman.  Being that big and running a sub 4.4, he has a completely different game than Hardman.

17 minutes ago, Joe_Chief said:

Again, this guy didnt get the targets because they were force feeding the ball to Adams.  And at just shy of 6'5" MVS is nothing like Hardman.  Being that big and running a sub 4.4, he has a completely different game than Hardman.

While i understand that, how does paying him that much to come here make things any different?  We had Pat feeding BOTH Hill and Kelce, yet we had 3 WRs and a RB with similar/better numbers than him, and three of them did it with fewer targets.  With the assumption that we have not obtained our WR1 yet, between WR1, Kelce, and Juju, how can we expect MVS to make an impact while also competing with Hardman for snaps?  Additionally, his completion to target ratio last year was 47%.  Pringle, Williams, and Hardman were and 70%, 82%, and  71% respectively.  Everything about this guy statistically says that he can't get open, and when he does, he doesn't make the most of his opportunities.  He's good for a couple of long plays, but not much else.  

Yes... he's fast, and yes, he's a deep threat, but to me he just looks like another De'Anthony Thomas or Dexter McCluster, regardless of his size.  Just four of his receptions accounted for over 45% of his yards and 100% of his Touchdowns for the year.  10 mill is too damn much to pay for that.  Hardman can do better at half the cost.

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

Good post

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

While i understand that, how does paying him that much to come here make things any different?  We had Pat feeding BOTH Hill and Kelce, yet we had 3 WRs and a RB with similar/better numbers than him, and three of them did it with fewer targets.  With the assumption that we have not obtained our WR1 yet, between WR1, Kelce, and Juju, how can we expect MVS to make an impact while also competing with Hardman for snaps?  Additionally, his completion to target ratio last year was 47%.  Pringle, Williams, and Hardman were and 70%, 82%, and  71% respectively.  Everything about this guy statistically says that he can't get open, and when he does, he doesn't make the most of his opportunities.  He's good for a couple of long plays, but not much else.  

Yes... he's fast, and yes, he's a deep threat, but to me he just looks like another De'Anthony Thomas or Dexter McCluster, regardless of his size.  Just four of his receptions accounted for over 45% of his yards and 100% of his Touchdowns for the year.  10 mill is too damn much to pay for that.  Hardman can do better at half the cost.

I just don't agree.  MVS had zero drops last year so that made me think why is that target/completion ratio(is it really 47% for 2021 OR his career?) so low but no drops?  So after digging a little I found that MVS's targets were mostly deep passes, thus by nature the completion to target ratio SHOULD be lower versus a non-Deep pass.  Again, MVS had zero drops last season but you still show a 47% completion/target ratio....Something has to give and force feeding Adams while watching for MVS down field is exactly why the numbers are like they are.  I believe Reid goes to a more balanced O like he has ran in the past and MVS will get more targets and not just down field while JuJu tags teams with him.  

Lets also look at Hill's target vs MVS.

Hill:  159 targets, 1239 yards, 9 TDs, Hill 2020:  135 targets, 1276 yards, 15 TDs

MVS:  didn't play half a season so I'll use his 2020 stats, 63 targets, 690 yards, 6 TDs

So even just doubling MVS's targets which would still be LESS targets than Hill STILL:   126 targets, 1,380 yards, 12 TDs

There is no replacing Hill, Hill is just Hill and can do it all.  The problem with that is Mahomes got to reliant on Hill and it showed when teams went two deep and took the deep pass away from Hill.  So Mahomes having to move the ball around now is not a bad thing.  Mahomes has had some of his best games ever when Hill wasn't playing.  I see this happening again.

Reid seemed to always have that speedy outside guy(Desean Jackson type) and the possession guy(Maclin for example).  Well JuJu for sure takes on that Maclin role perfectly and MVS with his speed take on that DeSean Jackson role.  Hill was a great weapon but without him Reid and Mahomes will step up and run a more complete offense and be better for it.

OH Lets also not forget that MVS has ok speed as well haha.....

Former #Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill was clocked at 21.91 mph in Week 14 of the 2020 season, per

. The only ball-carrier who has been clocked faster in the past two seasons: new #Chiefs WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who hit 22.09 mph in Week 11 last season.

154 WRs ran at least 10 deep routes last year MVS had the 3rd highest target rate (55%) but underneath? he ranked 65 of 69 WRs with just 0.95 yds/route run on routes less than 20 yards downfield

EtXxAXj5_normal.jpg

Getting and earning deep targets has not been a problem for MVS

This is the flip side for the Chiefs and MVS value — routes and targets within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage

1 hour ago, Balto said:

I just don't agree.  MVS had zero drops last year so that made me think why is that target/completion ratio(is it really 47% for 2021 OR his career?) so low but no drops?  So after digging a little I found that MVS's targets were mostly deep passes, thus by nature the completion to target ratio SHOULD be lower versus a non-Deep pass.  Again, MVS had zero drops last season but you still show a 47% completion/target ratio....Something has to give and force feeding Adams while watching for MVS down field is exactly why the numbers are like they are.  I believe Reid goes to a more balanced O like he has ran in the past and MVS will get more targets and not just down field while JuJu tags teams with him.  

Lets also look at Hill's target vs MVS.

Hill:  159 targets, 1239 yards, 9 TDs, Hill 2020:  135 targets, 1276 yards, 15 TDs

MVS:  didn't play half a season so I'll use his 2020 stats, 63 targets, 690 yards, 6 TDs

So even just doubling MVS's targets which would still be LESS targets than Hill STILL:   126 targets, 1,380 yards, 12 TDs

There is no replacing Hill, Hill is just Hill and can do it all.  The problem with that is Mahomes got to reliant on Hill and it showed when teams went two deep and took the deep pass away from Hill.  So Mahomes having to move the ball around now is not a bad thing.  Mahomes has had some of his best games ever when Hill wasn't playing.  I see this happening again.

Reid seemed to always have that speedy outside guy(Desean Jackson type) and the possession guy(Maclin for example).  Well JuJu for sure takes on that Maclin role perfectly and MVS with his speed take on that DeSean Jackson role.  Hill was a great weapon but without him Reid and Mahomes will step up and run a more complete offense and be better for it.

OH Lets also not forget that MVS has ok speed as well haha.....

Former #Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill was clocked at 21.91 mph in Week 14 of the 2020 season, per

. The only ball-carrier who has been clocked faster in the past two seasons: new #Chiefs WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who hit 22.09 mph in Week 11 last season.

This kind of reinforces what i'm saying...  MVS is another Denathony Thomas/Dexter McCluster.  Deep threat a few times a year, but as an actual possession receiver, not worth the money.  You don't pay 10 mill for a gimmick player.  

3 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

This kind of reinforces what i'm saying...  MVS is another Denathony Thomas/Dexter McCluster.  Deep threat a few times a year, but as an actual possession receiver, not worth the money.  You don't pay 10 mill for a gimmick player.  

Not gimmick....This shows that GB pretty much ONLY used him as a deep guy and feed the ball to Adams.  He has never been given the chance to show he can be more than a deep threat.

24 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

This was only about ensuring defenders have to defend the entire field to open up space for kelce and Juju.  The biggest thing about having a consistent deep threat like tyreek was that defenders were forced to shade coverage to him.  Mecole does not have the consistent ability to get open deep so you still need that.  MVS does and when teams played the Packers with him on the field they also had to account for this.  So while you can't replace tyreek, you can force coverage to account for a consistent deep threat which limits what they can do elsewhere on the field.