Scantling signs 3 year deal

14 minutes ago, xen said:

This was only about ensuring defenders have to defend the entire field to open up space for kelce and Juju.  The biggest thing about having a consistent deep threat like tyreek was that defenders were forced to shade coverage to him.  Mecole does not have the consistent ability to get open deep so you still need that.  MVS does and when teams played the Packers with him on the field they also had to account for this.  So while you can't replace tyreek, you can force coverage to account for a consistent deep threat which limits what they can do elsewhere on the field.

MVS and Hardman on the field at the same time. Speed still alive & well in KC.

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

MVS and Hardman on the field at the same time. Speed still alive & well in KC.

Yeah it does allow you one guy that can consistently get open deep without having to scheme releases for him.  That gives you the ability to still scheme releases for mecole.  Too bad MVS is kind of a one trick pony - posts, corners, and go routes.  But it's a hell of a trick.

14 minutes ago, xen said:

Yeah it does allow you one guy that can consistently get open deep without having to scheme releases for him.  That gives you the ability to still scheme releases for mecole.  Too bad MVS is kind of a one trick pony - posts, corners, and go routes.  But it's a hell of a trick.

Not a big enough sample size to say that.

He did what GB wanted him to do.

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

This kind of reinforces what i'm saying...  MVS is another Denathony Thomas/Dexter McCluster.  Deep threat a few times a year, but as an actual possession receiver, not worth the money.  You don't pay 10 mill for a gimmick player.  

More accurately he is DAT standing on Dexters shoulders. Seriously though, I like the speed height combination. He was too expensive, but Pringle got 4+ mill. Kirk got 4 years 72 (18 per) and just cap bit next year is 22.5. It’s just a crazy market. 

1 hour ago, arrowhead said:

Not a big enough sample size to say that.

He did what GB wanted him to do.

Plenty of sample size to know what he's good at (4 years).  I checked him on gamepass, lots of post, corners, and go routes.  Not so good on short and intermediate routes (no separation). Long speed and acceleration for days, but not really having the quicks and agility to separate in short and intermediate.  Really good vs press and with late separation, 2 thinks mecole has struggled with due to lack of size and strength.  Good ball tracking as well.

I'm not worried.  We'll ask him to do the same things, I would think.

Surprisingly decent run blocker when I watched him too.  I was a bit surprised by that.  Better than tyreek or mecole for sure.  Not in juju's league but decent.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:08 PM, xen said:

If he's a one trick pony, I'd rather it be that than just a bunch of underneath stuff.  Having to respect him deep will keep the defenses from sitting on the underneath stuff.  It should pair well with JuJu , as long as he fills the role of receiver making the tough catches over the middle, which I think he should.  While our wr group won't be as good at the top without Hill, I do think we're going to end up better at the bottom end, so 1-6 we can actually be much improved.  

On a beautiful spring day today, I went for a walk in the local park.  During that walk a guy walking his dog was wearing a Green Bay Packers shirt, I was wearing my Chief hat.   He approached me and said, your team just signed our WR Scantling.  I asked him what he thought about that?  His reply was,  Not good but your team is sure as hell going to love him,  he's good!   I sure hope he is right!

1 minute ago, Troyofoc said:

If this is true great contract for kc. Veach must of learned from Clark and Hitchens contracts.

That's why you should always use spotrac instead of otc.  Their site is always off.

Here's the valuation on the site that actually keeps their shit up to date.

image.png

1 hour ago, xen said:

That's why you should always use spotrac instead of otc.  Their site is always off.

Here's the valuation on the site that actually keeps their shit up to date.

image.png

Ya I like spotrac the best. But the dead money and cap savings is right and that’s what I was getting at as it’s has an out after this year. Overall a good contract if we want to get out.

28 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

Ya I like spotrac the best. But the dead money and cap savings is right and that’s what I was getting at as it’s has an out after this year. Overall a good contract if we want to get out.

Ya it looks good so far.  I want to see the full breakdown.  Hopefully it's available soon

On 3/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, WichitaZRide said:

While i understand that, how does paying him that much to come here make things any different?  We had Pat feeding BOTH Hill and Kelce, yet we had 3 WRs and a RB with similar/better numbers than him, and three of them did it with fewer targets.  With the assumption that we have not obtained our WR1 yet, between WR1, Kelce, and Juju, how can we expect MVS to make an impact while also competing with Hardman for snaps?  Additionally, his completion to target ratio last year was 47%.  Pringle, Williams, and Hardman were and 70%, 82%, and  71% respectively.  Everything about this guy statistically says that he can't get open, and when he does, he doesn't make the most of his opportunities.  He's good for a couple of long plays, but not much else.  

Yes... he's fast, and yes, he's a deep threat, but to me he just looks like another De'Anthony Thomas or Dexter McCluster, regardless of his size.  Just four of his receptions accounted for over 45% of his yards and 100% of his Touchdowns for the year.  10 mill is too damn much to pay for that.  Hardman can do better at half the cost.

I repeat, WHY do we care what we pay someone.  It's not our team, our money, or our JOB.  I could care less how much $ someone gets if they can help us.  We have some of the best cap people in the league, and I'll let those that get paid to do that job do it, as they are much better than I.  What i want to see is good players and another SB.

58 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I repeat, WHY do we care what we pay someone.  It's not our team, our money, or our JOB.  I could care less how much $ someone gets if they can help us.  We have some of the best cap people in the league, and I'll let those that get paid to do that job do it, as they are much better than I.  What i want to see is good players and another SB.

If we didn't care then we'd have less to bitch about. Don't ruin it for everyone lol. 

5 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

If we didn't care then we'd have less to bitch about. Don't ruin it for everyone lol. 

Agree I like to bitch on here because I think most of you are fellow chief fans. If I was to bitch to my wife about over paying MVS and depleting more of the remaining cap leaving us no more flexibility to improve the team she would tell me who gives a shit. I don’t need to give her anymore reasons for the headache excuse 😤.

15 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Hush.  Some people enjoy the NFL offseason.  If you don't that's fine.  See ya in July.