Chiefs signed RB Ronald Jones to a one-year contract.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Jones "can earn up to $5 million" with incentives. Jones was limited to three spot starts behind Leonard Fournette last year, posting his lowest rushing total (428) since his rookie year. The 2018 second-rounder never live up to his draft status in Tampa but had 1,000 scrimmage yards in both 2019 and 2020. In Kansas City, Jones will take over as the top backup to Clyde Edwards-Helaire, replacing free agents Jerick McKinnon and Darrel Williams. Jones should see pass-down snaps in Kansas City and gives the Chiefs a hedge to Edwards-Helaire, who's missed 10 games over the last two seaso

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs signed RB Ronald Jones to a one-year contract.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Jones "can earn up to $5 million" with incentives. Jones was limited to three spot starts behind Leonard Fournette last year, posting his lowest rushing total (428) since his rookie year. The 2018 second-rounder never live up to his draft status in Tampa but had 1,000 scrimmage yards in both 2019 and 2020. In Kansas City, Jones will take over as the top backup to Clyde Edwards-Helaire, replacing free agents Jerick McKinnon and Darrel Williams. Jones should see pass-down snaps in Kansas City and gives the Chiefs a hedge to Edwards-Helaire, who's missed 10 games over the last two seaso

Maybe Veach trades CEH. 

33 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Maybe Veach trades CEH. 

We can dream.

top two backs of williams and mckinnon i was confident, excellent duo.

top two backs of ceh and ronald jones is pretty meh at best.

at the moment draft is gonna be near impossible as we need starting caliber talent at DT, DE, CB on defense (lb and safety seems acceptable).

on Offense WR, RT, and now RB.

thats a lot of spots to fill, definitely need a couple more above average free agency moves

1 hour ago, Joe_Chief said:

Living in the Tampa area I have seen a lot of Jones.  I think he will flourish under Reid and with the O-line being so proficient at run blocking.

how would you rate him vs McKinnon?

And from what I heard he is not very good at receiving or holding on to the ball. What is your take?

I think Jones not nearly as dynamic as McKinnon, but much less fragile. Williams is better than with for a season long guy that sounds with some anger and has good hands. 

It is an good signing. He is a backup though IMO. We need these guys and the price was right.

Not having a back last year fast enough to explode through those massive holes before the closed was a huge missed opportunity.  Not as much as that #2 wr but CEH is really slow.  He wins occasionally on those patient runs but I think those are far less probably in the normal flow of the game.  McKinnon made it abundantly clear we have to have a guy that can get to the edge and burst through those massive holes that our Oline opened.   I also wonder if we aren't philosophically changing on O.  Last year we went away from fast agile quick Olineman to more mauling type players and this offseason we signed two bigger wr's when Reid normally went after smaller quicker wrs.     

I'm excited about the rest of the offseason, draft and upcoming season.   

29 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Not having a back last year fast enough to explode through those massive holes before the closed was a huge missed opportunity.  Not as much as that #2 wr but CEH is really slow.  He wins occasionally on those patient runs but I think those are far less probably in the normal flow of the game.  McKinnon made it abundantly clear we have to have a guy that can get to the edge and burst through those massive holes that our Oline opened.   I also wonder if we aren't philosophically changing on O.  Last year we went away from fast agile quick Olineman to more mauling type players and this offseason we signed two bigger wr's when Reid normally went after smaller quicker wrs.     

I'm excited about the rest of the offseason, draft and upcoming season.   

We can still use Hardman for carries on sweeps to the edge. Hopefully this means more ground and pound which will help play actions.

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

how would you rate him vs McKinnon?

And from what I heard he is not very good at receiving or holding on to the ball. What is your take?

I think McKinnon is a faster, more explosive player but not as consistent. Jones has shown he can pick up tough yard when he needs to. And I think the reputation for being a fumbler is way blown out of proportion. Overall I think he's a pretty good pick up for the team.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

We can dream.

top two backs of williams and mckinnon i was confident, excellent duo.

top two backs of ceh and ronald jones is pretty meh at best.

at the moment draft is gonna be near impossible as we need starting caliber talent at DT, DE, CB on defense (lb and safety seems acceptable).

on Offense WR, RT, and now RB.

thats a lot of spots to fill, definitely need a couple more above average free agency moves

Well, the Chiefs do have 8 picks in the first four round including six in the top 100 (almost).  each will fill the roster before the draft and then go BPA in the weaker areas.  Not all the signings this week will be on the team after TC.  I like the plan so far and especially  would like a Gilmore signing.  One less area of immediate need.   Same wih Ingram.

6 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

He has 6 fumbles in four years. Not a big deal.

He has 7 fumbles in 564 career touches.  While I'm not overly concerned about it, it's not "not a big deal".  Let's do the math:

I know he's not going to be getting the bulk of touches, but ill game it out that way.  

7 fumbles in 564 touches.  That's 1 fumble every 80.5 touches.  If a player averages 15 carries and 5 receptions per game, that turns into a fumble every 4th game.  That's not nothing.  If he fumbles at that rate here, he won't see the field much, or at very least, the ball in his hands.  

It's a low risk signing.  If he can't hang onto the ball , oh well.  If he figures it out, he could be a valuable piece. 

55 minutes ago, moons314 said:

He has 7 fumbles in 564 career touches.  While I'm not overly concerned about it, it's not "not a big deal".  Let's do the math:

I know he's not going to be getting the bulk of touches, but ill game it out that way.  

7 fumbles in 564 touches.  That's 1 fumble every 80.5 touches.  If a player averages 15 carries and 5 receptions per game, that turns into a fumble every 4th game.  That's not nothing.  If he fumbles at that rate here, he won't see the field much, or at very least, the ball in his hands.  

It's a low risk signing.  If he can't hang onto the ball , oh well.  If he figures it out, he could be a valuable piece. 

Only 6 were turn overs. Thats not a lot of fumbles. 1.5 per season. Its football.

11 minutes ago, moons314 said:

You’re trying to spread it over 4 seasons which isn’t equitable.  That’s why I broke it down by touched. He only played 9 games and had 30 touches his first year.   Saying it’s 1.5 per season is misleading 

How ever you want to look at it its 6. Not a big deal. It happens.