Veach looking to acquire top wr via trade

28 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What about guys like Mafe, Ebiketie, Williams, etc. The second tier guys. We should have plenty to pick from right?

I know he's a bit older than an average prospect but I think Mafe will end up in the pro bowl rather soon and could have a similar impact to TJ Watt.

16 hours ago, xen said:

I'm not sure anyone we like will drop low enough for striking distance.  I expect a lot of DLine to go early.

Expect three to go in the top ten and three more before the Chief's pick at 29.  Just have to trust Veach to know if moving up is worth it.  I'd say "yes" considering the number of first and second day picks the Chiefs  have.  Not sure about Ojabo.  Great potential, but a wasted year before getting anything out of him.  

Just fyi

#Chiefs draft picks in 2022 and 2023:

2022 - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 7, 7, 7, 7
2023 - 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7 (projected), 7 (projected)

Brett Veach will have to opportunity to build the team his way with the next two drafts. Hitting on picks this year is a must.

Taken from a tweet response

33 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Just fyi

Brett Veach will have to opportunity to build the team his way with the next two drafts. Hitting on picks this year is a must.

This is great for the chiefs as long as Veach hits on them. I am worried about our defense so I hope there are day one impact players especially at D line. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What about guys like Mafe, Ebiketie, Williams, etc. The second tier guys. We should have plenty to pick from right?

🤷‍♂️ the league needs pass rushers.  We probably will have to take a 2nd tier guy higher than expected or trade back a bit with one of the firsts.  I would not be surprised with a trade up with one 1st round pick and a trade back with the other maybe?   I would still take Ojabo in the first if he falls.   I also really like Mafe and Ebiketie but I think maybe both go real early on day 2, Mafe especially.

44 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Just fyi

Where's that extra 3rd coming from in 2023?   We get a 4 and 6 next year from tyreek.

How would you feel about something like this:

#29:  Jameson Williams, WR Bama....Was top WR before he tore his ACL and drops

#30:  David Ojabo, DE/OLB Michigan....Was a top 15-10 pass rusher but like Williams tore his ACL and drops.

This would be a value play in that both these guys might not be 100% for their rookie seasons BUT Veach would be getting insane value to sit tight and let these two guys heal up.

Will probably have to trade up for 1 of them or maybe both even with the torn ACLs because they are such great talents.  IF SO...would you be ok moving up for BOTH?

Just now, Balto said:

#30:  David Ojabo, DE/OLB Michigan....Was a top 15-10 pass rusher but like Williams tore his ACL and drops.

This would be a value play in that both these guys might not be 100% for their rookie seasons BUT Veach would be getting insane value to sit tight and let these two guys heal up.

Will probably have to trade up for 1 of them or maybe both even with the torn ACLs because they are such great talents.  IF SO...would you be ok moving up for BOTH?

I would absolutely do that except even with the ACL I think you may have to get into the late teens early 20s to grab him.

Personally I think both guys would have gone top 10 without the injury.

3 minutes ago, Balto said:

I surely would take this scenario! But like Xen is saying I don't think Jameson falls that far. And if he doesn't, I take Wyatt and Ojabo with 29 and 30. Then Best WR available with first 2nd rd pick and Best CB available with second 2nd rd pick. 

That covers Dline, DB and WR with our first 4 picks. The rest can be on depth and development.

Lets say they both were healthy and I agree with Xen about both would of been top 10 or very close.....

Would you of been ok giving up #29+3rd and #30+3rd to get both?  If so, would you still be ok with doing that to get both even with teh ACLs?

10 minutes ago, Balto said:

Lets say they both were healthy and I agree with Xen about both would of been top 10 or very close.....

Would you of been ok giving up #29+3rd and #30+3rd to get both?  If so, would you still be ok with doing that to get both even with teh ACLs?

i don't know...the third round is where veach does some of his best work

46 minutes ago, Balto said:

I could get on board with that. But if I’m not mistaken wasn’t Ojabo an Achilles not an acl?

29 minutes ago, Balto said:

Yes. ACL's are not deal breakers like they used to be. I would do that because that would still leave us with 3 2nd rd picks.

5 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

I could get on board with that. But if I’m not mistaken wasn’t Ojabo an Achilles not an acl?

Correct.  However they have had recent advancements on the achilles repair procedure.  Cam Akers came back and played 6 months after surgery last year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-cam-akers-remarkable-return-from-the-most-feared-injury-in-sports-220921064.html

55 minutes ago, Balto said:

Never a good idea to give up multiple premium picks, let alone for injured guys. We hear about a lot of players bouncing back from injury but there are a lot of them out there who never get back to football shape as well. 

Also not every GM has the luxury of picking for potential as they have to worry about their job security and few are probably in win-now mode. No need to give up multiple picks for players who are very likely to be available where we pick already. 

23 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Never a good idea to give up multiple premium picks, let alone for injured guys. We hear about a lot of players bouncing back from injury but there are a lot of them out there who never get back to football shape as well. 

Also not every GM has the luxury of picking for potential as they have to worry about their job security and few are probably in win-now mode. No need to give up multiple picks for players who are very likely to be available where we pick already. 

I agree. If they are there or Veech thinks they will fall, then no don't trade..It wouldn't make sense. But Veech said with his own mouth that he would rebuild the Dline this year and I believe that's what he's gonna do. If Wyatt is there at 29, I think he will take an Edge with that pick, and then turnaround and Wyatt with the 30th. IMO, that will bolster this Dline significantly. Take a WR with first 2nd rd pick, and then add the best defensive players available with the rest of those 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

Also, I don't believe Veech/Reid will spend a lot on WR, with Draft picks or money. We have a half billion dollar QB. Why in the world do we need Top Flight WRs around him. Mahomes and Reid should be able to put up numbers with Good solid WRs around him....Just my .02

25 minutes ago, artsy said:

Also, I don't believe Veech/Reid will spend a lot on WR, with Draft picks or money. We have a half billion dollar QB. Why in the world do we need Top Flight WRs around him. Mahomes and Reid should be able to put up numbers with Good solid WRs around him....Just my .02

Ask Rodgers why

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Yep even the best qbs need good players around them.

Yes, GOOD players. Not necessarily ALL Pros.

If we have to have elite WR's then why back up the brinks truck for Pat Mahomes?

A group of solid WR's should be enough to remain competitive right?