Veach looking to acquire top wr via trade

9 hours ago, arrowhead said:

Who's mock was that? Bejeebus, I may be locked onto Wilson, but I'm not nuts. Chris Simms doesn't have Olave or Wilson in his top 5 wr. 

That's a bit crazy but he's right that Jameson Williams is the best wr in this class.  If you need a starting Z, he's the guy.

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He made a wise decision.   We won't know if Olave and Wilson are better or if the OSU coaches wouldn't let the kid eat for a few seasons.   All three are talented guys and I would be happy with any of the three.

Not arguing the talent. 1a 1b 1c. They could all go to high for Veach to get one of em. Lots of talented guys after them.

DK Dobbins tore his ACL in the 3rd preseason game last year and will probably start camp on the PUP list. Williams might be ready, might not.

All hands on deck with the schedule that's coming up, no time to wait on a guy.

10 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

Am I the only 1 who likes Christian Watson. I will flip if we get him.

He is the biggest wildcard in the draft.  If he is there at 50, I would take him.  Not 29 or 30, though, as of right now.

17 hours ago, arrowhead said:

Not arguing the talent. 1a 1b 1c. They could all go to high for Veach to get one of em. Lots of talented guys after them.

DK Dobbins tore his ACL in the 3rd preseason game last year and will probably start camp on the PUP list. Williams might be ready, might not.

All hands on deck with the schedule that's coming up, no time to wait on a guy.

We have the hardest schedule and you are right we need players ready to step in and play the first two rounds.   Wr typically struggle their first year in Reid’s system and Mahomes made it known he would like a veteran wr added and that was before Hill left.  Be interesting to see who they grab.  A first round wr that pans out would be great though with that 5th year option.  

9 hours ago, xen said:

If it wasn't for the injury it would not be that close

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

I get it. He's from MO which is why you love him. But I been watching all three of these guys since they were recruited out of HS. Most people (present company excepted) only heard of Williams since he ably filled that huge hole in Alabama's lineup. 

From what I've seen since their first training camp through their college careers, all three of these kids have the potential to be all-pro, and very quickly. They all have excellent start/stop; they all have quick feet off the LOS; they all employ a dominant 2nd and 3rd gear; top notch ball skills; and all three are serious YAC threats.

All that said, from watching every single game of their college careers, (I missed a few of JWs once he transferred, but saw the weekly highlights of his amazing season) I'd take Olave before the other two.  If you want someone who can get separation on short routes and also take the top off a defense, who is excellent after the catch and can run precise routes in all three zones, but most importantly, can adjust when the play breaks down (Mahomes demands this, and was always on Tyreek's ass about it) I like Olave.  He has a natural nose for the ball, especially in the end zone. That is way more valuable than a 40 time or physical attributes. Just my .04 worth.

See the source image

1 minute ago, mex said:

I get it. He's from MO which is why you love him. But I been watching all three of these guys since they were recruited out of HS. Most people (present company excepted) only heard of Williams since he ably filled that huge hole in Alabama's lineup. 

From what I've seen since their first training camp through their college careers, all three of these kids have the potential to be all-pro, and very quickly. They all have excellent start/stop; they all have quick feet off the LOS; they all employ a dominant 2nd and 3rd gear; top notch ball skills; and all three are serious YAC threats.

All that said, from watching every single game of their college careers, (I missed a few of JWs once he transferred, but saw the weekly highlights of his amazing season) I'd take Olave before the other two.  If you want someone who can get separation on short routes and also take the top off a defense, who is excellent after the catch and can run precise routes in all three zones, but most importantly, can adjust when the play breaks down (Mahomes demands this, and was always on Tyreek's ass about it) I like Olave.  He has a natural nose for the ball, especially in the end zone. That is way more valuable than a 40 time or physical attributes. Just my .04 worth.

See the source image

Oh I like Olave as well.

That said, Williams is the best router runner of the 3 and has an extra gear that the others lack.  Not that they're slow obviously, but they're not in the same speed class as Jameson.  With our QB there's extra value to a guy that can hit the speed that Jameson has.  He's a guy that brings gravity to the field similar to tyreek.

I would be thrilled with Olave though. I wanted him last year.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Oh I like Olave as well.

That said, Williams is the best router runner of the 3 and has an extra gear that the others lack.  Not that they're slow obviously, but they're not in the same speed class as Jameson.  With our QB there's extra value to a guy that can hit the speed that Jameson has.  He's a guy that brings gravity to the field similar to tyreek.

I would be thrilled with Olave though. I wanted him last year.

Honestly... I'm not sure I want a WR at #10 (or wherever the trade speculation has us) as IMO there are other pressing needs on this team. I'd love any of them, and I tend to agree a young kid like JW can recover from ACL surgery. 

But Mahomes has the ability to make a good receiver great. So I'm not sure we need to spend that much draft capital on a WR.

Then again, with our history of 1st round DE/DT success... maybe it's time to pick a WR :lol: 

33 minutes ago, mex said:

Honestly... I'm not sure I want a WR at #10 (or wherever the trade speculation has us) as IMO there are other pressing needs on this team. I'd love any of them, and I tend to agree a young kid like JW can recover from ACL surgery. 

But Mahomes has the ability to make a good receiver great. So I'm not sure we need to spend that much draft capital on a WR.

Then again, with our history of 1st round DE/DT success... maybe it's time to pick a WR :lol: 

Solid Point. I was watching a clip  about PM's 10 finest plays at Texas Tech and thought to myself.. shoulda drafted 1 or 2 of them they looked awesome with Patrick throwing the ball to them

1 hour ago, mex said:

That's one of the best things about Jameson.  I don't think you need to trade up as high so u keep the other 1st.

Hell I'd love to trade up and take a top DE but they don't all fit our system and I think the guys that do will go quick.

3 hours ago, xen said:

That's one of the best things about Jameson.  I don't think you need to trade up as high so u keep the other 1st.

Hell I'd love to trade up and take a top DE but they don't all fit our system and I think the guys that do will go quick.

I've played a bit with some of the draft simulators and while wildly inaccurate as to how the boards will fall, in almost every scenario there is at least one top WR still on the board at #16 or later, usually Williams or Olave.  That's where Veach should strike.  #29 and #62 will buy one's way up the board about that far.  Wilson and London usually go earlier.  Even if that fails, there's depth at WR enough to get a good one with the normal picks.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

I've played a bit with some of the draft simulators and while wildly inaccurate as to how the boards will fall, in almost every scenario there is at least one top WR still on the board at #16 or later, usually Williams or Olave.  That's where Veach should strike.  #29 and #62 will buy one's way up the board about that far.  Wilson and London usually go earlier.  Even if that fails, there's depth at WR enough to get a good one with the normal picks.

Yep

19 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I think at half a billion dollars, Mahomes should be able to make a WR1 out of somebody on the roster. Brady did it with Branch, Welker & Edelman.

Not as simple as that.  Different rules in his early days.  You could win a superbowl with running game and defense still.

But that wasnt all he had later as the rules started to change.  His best years he had Randy Moss, then Welker who was a great receiver who doesn't get his due + the Gronk/Murderhobo TE duo, and then more recently with Tampa's stud receivers + Gronk.

Guess we could always follow the blueprint and try and cheat our way to a superbowl but probably better to use an A+ receiving game.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Not as simple as that.  Different rules in his early days.  You could win a superbowl with running game and defense still.

But that wasnt all he had later as the rules started to change.  His best years he had Randy Moss, then Welker who was a great receiver who doesn't get his due + the Gronk/Murderhobo TE duo, and then more recently with Tampa's stud receivers + Gronk.

Guess we could always follow the blueprint and try and cheat our way to a superbowl but probably better to use an A+ receiving game.

I agree times have changed but mahomes should be able to perform. 
reid needs to commit to the run. If we do that we have a chance. 
reid should also look at two TE sets and see if there’s something we can do with that. Forston is back. I can’t remember if belldozer is. 
On top all this is that we need a defense. 
that’s the key. Give our offense more chances 

What Mahomes needs at this point is some WR's he trusts to be in the right spot. He trusts Kelce, despite some of Tyreeks questionable off the field decision making, his football IQ was very high, Mahomes trusted him to be in the right spot.

It was clear to me that he never fully trusted Pringle, Hardman, or Robinson last season. Despite my criticisms of Hardman i admit he was wide open LOTS of time the second half on the season and Mahomes would not look his way, and the only reasonable answer for that is, he assumed Hardman would screw something up.

Long story short, maybe all Mahomes needs is a group of guys he knows will be in the right spot, has legitimate NFL caliber athleticism but not necessarily freak athleticism, and let Andy Reid scheme them open.

Obviously if there are some WR's in the draft that are both high football IQ and freak athletes that would be the best of both worlds, but if they have only 1 quality maybe its time to lean toward high football IQ for our WR group.

21 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

reid should also look at two TE sets and see if there’s something we can do with that. Forston is back. I can’t remember if belldozer is. 

Noah Gray is still around. 

29 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

A chance to lose.  Unless it's situational football, if you're running the ball that much you've already lost.  You're definitely not winning a superbowl vs the elite passing attacks.