Chiefs/Jets Draft Day Trade

The Chiefs could get a WR with a first and second or first and third depending on how far they wished to move up.  So why reach for Wilson when London, Williams, Olavve, etc. are still a probability between 15-20?  If fact, there are some very good WRs to be had on day two.  No way should the Chiefs give up both firsts for what would be a debatably better WR. 

Am I the only one wondering if we are EVER going to address the DL?

I keep seeing these posts about how Veach is going to trade to another team for an elite WR or trade up higher in the 1st for a WR.

I guess we are not going to bother fielding a competitive defense or try to make it better?  I know there is still the draft & a whole lot of off season acquisitions that can still be made, but come on ….

Do something …. anything to bring in more effective DL personnel (besides retaining Machine Gun Clark).

I think there has been a lot of effort on the DL.  Reed was thought to be one of the best interior dl when we signed him.  Pennel also. Clark was a huge get when we got him. Ingram and Suggs.  We locked down jones with a big contract. Nnadi speaks Kpass Saunders all high picks. They haven't all worked out but they haven't ignored it. 

Is there that much difference in this wr crop from 1-5?  All seem pretty similar in their ceiling.  None are in J. Chase tier so trading two firsts and a fourth to pick up a wr seems like a lot.  If he doesn’t turn into a pro bowl upper echelon wr then that was a big miss.  And like others said that is a lot of investment not put into the dline.   If a top end edge falls then maybe.

IMO, fixing the issues on defense should be the focus of this draft. I get the idea of wanting a true number 1 receiver, but I think the offense will still be pretty good as is.

If they do trade up, I hope it's for an edge rusher that can be a true game changer on that side of the ball. 

For the Chiefs and Arrowhead to really be scary, a fast, mean, in your face D-line, and a ball hawking secondary that can cover and tackle is what's needed. 

The Chiefs defense has been average at best "and many times awful" since the Marty ball era.

14 hours ago, mex said:

Interesting. But do we need a WR with that pick? Didn't Mahomes say he wanted an experienced WR?

Maybe PM will discount his salary this year to get a veteran proven talent WR? Not restructure an actual here you go extra 10 million. Of course it wont happen. So what PM wants vs what he gets is really not his decision.  Did he not get two veterans already?

13 hours ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

I keep seeing these posts about how Veach is going to trade to another team for an elite WR or trade up higher in the 1st for a WR.

I guess we are not going to bother fielding a competitive defense or try to make it better?  I know there is still the draft & a whole lot of off season acquisitions that can still be made, but come on ….

Do something …. anything to bring in more effective DL personnel (besides retaining Machine Gun Clark).

No Sir you are not! I am also wondering if we are going to SERIOUSLY address the damn Dline.

Veech said he was, so I'm expecting a DE and DT with those first two picks...A WR with the first 2nd rd pick, and a CB with second 2nd rd pick.....AT LEAST I'm hoping.

14 hours ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

The max the Chiefs are expected to spend on WR is a first and second/third.  Unless they trade away the draft for DK or some other similar move, they will have four picks remaining in the top 100.  IDL, EDGE, CB can easily be upgraded and maybe see doubles in the fourth round.  My greatest fear is that Veach will get fixated on some second rounder and spend a third to move up for someone he could have gotten with his regular pick.

7 hours ago, artsy said:

No Sir you are not! I am also wondering if we are going to SERIOUSLY address the damn Dline.

Veech said he was, so I'm expecting a DE and DT with those first two picks...A WR with the first 2nd rd pick, and a CB with second 2nd rd pick.....AT LEAST I'm hoping.

There’s no way we spend a 2nd on a corner.  Veach hasn’t shown an interest in dumping assets into corners.

I’m will to bet that with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, those picks yield a wr, 2 ends, and a defensive tackle.  I don’t know what order, but it’ll likely be that combination.  

We will get either Bradberry or Gillmore, and draft a corner in the 4th/5th rounds, along with a running back  

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

There’s no way we spend a 2nd on a corner.  Veach hasn’t shown an interest in dumping assets into corners.

I’m will to bet that with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, those picks yield a wr, 2 ends, and a defensive tackle.  I don’t know what order, but it’ll likely be that combination.  

We will get either Bradberry or Gillmore, and draft a corner in the 4th/5th rounds, along with a running back  

Safety I bet is in there.

9 hours ago, moons314 said:

Agree with every word. Except "yield". I don't like that word. 

16 hours ago, moons314 said:

I’m will to bet that with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, those picks yield a wr, 2 ends, and a defensive tackle.  I don’t know what order, 

DT Wyatt, DE Mafe, DE Jackson, WR, Watson.  Just a wild scenario that would use up a third and fourth to trade up.  As for CB or S, I sure would like the Chiefs to get Dax Hill who could play either.  

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

DT Wyatt, DE Mafe, DE Jackson, WR, Watson.  Just a wild scenario that would use up a third and fourth to trade up.  As for CB or S, I sure would like the Chiefs to get Dax Hill who could play either.  

I like Wyatt and Mafe.  Would have to probably trade up in round 1 for either just because of the early run there will be on pass rushers.  Jackson is a 3-4 guy who will go late 2 or early 3.  I would rather go with Malone in round 3, if they are looking for a 3-4 end to put on some weight for a hand in the dirt EDGE.  Someone will reach and take Watson at the end of 1, which I think will be a mistake.  He is athletic AF, but I don’t know if he can get separation at the pro level.   We will see.

I only like this trade if it lands a game wrecking DE. That would be the only target. Andy has only gone for a WR in the first 100 like 8 or 10 times I think I read. It sounds like the drop from tier one to tier two Edge is huge. I don’t watch all these college guys so I don’t know.

With the quarterbacks in our division and our conference I think Edge is way more important than WR.

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I only like this trade if it lands a game wrecking DE. That would be the only target. Andy has only gone for a WR in the first 100 like 8 or 10 times I think I read. It sounds like the drop from tier one to tier two Edge is huge. I don’t watch all these college guys so I don’t know.

With the quarterbacks in our division and our conference I think Edge is way more important than WR.

All of the elite edges in the draft will probably be gone by 10.  The only thing we can hope for is that teams get QB happy.  Unfortunately, the QB crop looks very unimpressive this year.

21 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I like Wyatt and Mafe.  Would have to probably trade up in round 1 for either just because of the early run there will be on pass rushers.  Jackson is a 3-4 guy who will go late 2 or early 3.  I would rather go with Malone in round 3, if they are looking for a 3-4 end to put on some weight for a hand in the dirt EDGE.  Someone will reach and take Watson at the end of 1, which I think will be a mistake.  He is athletic AF, but I don’t know if he can get separation at the pro level.   We will see.

Just my take, but the only move up required would be for Wyatt.  All the others should be on the board at #29 and #30.  Mafe could be taken at the end of the first, but if so, there's other choices nearly as good.  Same with the WRs.  Lose out on the first choice?  Not that much drop off.  WRs are deep.  I've always assumed that the Chiefs would resign Ingram.  If they don't, that changes the whole scenario and they might have to move up for a higher rated EDGE. 

1 minute ago, SEMO said:

All of the elite edges in the draft will probably be gone by 10.  The only thing we can hope for is that teams get QB happy.  Unfortunately, the QB crop looks very unimpressive this year.

Three will probably go in the top ten.  After that, it's anybody's guess.  Where will Ojabo fall in?  How do teams rate Karlaftis?  Mafe could fall to #35 or later.  Will Clowney and Flowers be signed by some teams before the draft?  That's what keeps this time of year interesting.