Tyrann Mathieu . Why didn’t the Chiefs resign him and Why hasn’t everyone else?

Is it this? 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2022/4/4/23008939/arrowheadlines-teams-are-concerned-that-tyrann-mathieu-may-have-lost-a-step

Did the Chiefs determine this as well? 
Are the Chiefs simply following the Patriot Way? 
Did he want way too much dinero so no bueno? 

I wish, even if the guy was half done, that they could have kept this captain of the defense on a reasonable salary. 

Thoughts? 
Ideas? 
Bitter Recriminations? 

• The title was changed to Tyrann Mathieu . Why didn’t the Chiefs resign him and Why hasn’t everyone else?
12 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

Is it this? 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2022/4/4/23008939/arrowheadlines-teams-are-concerned-that-tyrann-mathieu-may-have-lost-a-step

I wish, even if the guy was half done, that they could have kept this captain of the defense on a reasonable salary. 

Thoughts? 
Ideas? 
Bitter Recriminations? 

21 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

Is it this? 

Thoughts? 
Ideas? 
Bitter Recriminations? 

I can only speak anecdotally, but, to me, he did not seem to make the same splash plays last year (really he last two years) that he made in 2019. From what I saw, he certainly seems to have lost a step or two. Regardless of that opinion, our defense has been marginal - to be generous - for years, so maybe it’s time to get some new blood at the leadership position.  Who’s that going to be? I don’t know. Hoping one of the young linebackers steps up and takes control. 

Few reasons imo:

He did not look the same last year

There were reports he had offers but did not like them and figured he could wait it out til he got one he likes

This is likely his last decent contract so there's no rush on his end.  Worst case scenario is he signs a contract similar to what he's already being offered.   If he waits til after the draft he can see who got a safety and his market will be more clear.

I agree with what's been said so far. He did seem to fall off some, and was hesitate.  I will miss leadership on the field, but what I heard is that part of that is playing well consistently. That makes sense to me. 

He was not a difference maker in the plays he made. He showed on the field leadership, but was not a playmaker most of the season. He was hurt or simply lost a step or two. A solid player, but no longer an elite one. I think it shows on film. Nobody is gonna pay him for what he was. He is gonna have to take a one year prove it deal.

I think any team, including the Chiefs, would love to sign HB but this will be his last real contract so he's probably looking for much more than his output on the field. He's not getting younger and definitely lost a step, he's still worth a decent sum but probably nowhere near how much he made last year. 

He was an all pro until last year. He had an off year and staring at 30. I think he is still an elite safety and last year was just an off year. But big money is hard to find in his position. 

I agree that he can be patient and get the best deal he can. 

I was never impressed with his tackling ability....but he was a great leader.

It is  about money and I think he may be disappointed.  Love to see him come back and finish with KC on a 3 year deal that is good for all parties.

He could easily get another ring.

w

It would be good to have him as a third safety, but I don't see how that could work.  Reid and Thornhill need to play.  HB can't be leader if he's on the bench in the base defense.  He has to be more than a Sorenson replacement or there could be locker room issues.  

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It would be good to have him as a third safety, but I don't see how that could work.  Reid and Thornhill need to play.  HB can't be leader if he's on the bench in the base defense.  He has to be more than a Sorenson replacement or there could be locker room issues.  

3 safety look is base nickel for us, which means it's basically our base defense.   With HB being so versatile and able to play nickel corner as well,  I don't see snap counts as an issue.  You could also have Reid playing the big nickel role with HB and Juan in the 2 deep.   Lots of options with HB.

3 hours ago, West said:

I was never impressed with his tackling ability....but he was a great leader.

It is  about money and I think he may be disappointed.  Love to see him come back and finish with KC on a 3 year deal that is good for all parties.

He could easily get another ring.

w

I agree with him being a good leader on the team but his tackling ability was shoulder bumps where the runner always got a few more yards or going after the Forced Fumble.  There,s no question he was a great player, but he is just not worth what he wants money wise now.