Tyrann Mathieu . Why didn’t the Chiefs resign him and Why hasn’t everyone else?

58 minutes ago, mex said:

He definitely dropped off last year... and I've seen him avoid hits throughout his stint at KC.

I get why... just not sure we want that in a safety. Safeties are battering rams. It's an attitude. They're not cornerbacks.

Fair point. 

Here's my thoughts:

If the dude really wants to make an impact and really wants another big pay day, he needs to take 7.5 or less on a one year to stay in KC.  Ultimately I look at this:

Reid/Thornhill/HB at nickel >  HB/Thornhill/Sorensen at nickel

With the way the WRs in the AFC have leveled up, we may need the extra boost in the secondary...

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

Here's my thoughts:

If the dude really wants to make an impact and really wants another big pay day, he needs to take 7.5 or less on a one year to stay in KC.  Ultimately I look at this:

Reid/Thornhill/HB at nickel >  HB/Thornhill/Sorensen at nickel

With the way the WRs in the AFC have leveled up, we may need the extra boost in the secondary...

Would you rather have HB back at $7.5 million (he won't take that) or draft Dax Hill or Cine and pay them $2 million on a rookie deal plus keeping them for four or five years?  How long would it take the rookies to get up to the level of HB if his abilities deteriorate further with age.  That's a lot to pay just for the experience and Reed should take over the DB leadership.  

The Steelers’ website posted an item saying that the Steelers have an interest in signing Mathieu. However, the item said that the Steelers would want Mathieu to agree to a deal for “what they believe he is worth,” and that Mathieu may not agree with the Steelers’ assessment of what kind of contract he should get.

That’s always the case for any free agent, of course, but it appears this offseason that teams aren’t placing as high a value on Mathieu as he was hoping for. Mathieu acknowledged he was disappointed by the Chiefs declining to bring him back, and interest from other teams appears to be lukewarm so far.

The Rams, Eagles and Saints have all been reported to have interest in Mathieu, although reports have suggested that he’s not particularly close to signing with anyone.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Would you rather have HB back at $7.5 million (he won't take that) or draft Dax Hill or Cine and pay them $2 million on a rookie deal plus keeping them for four or five years?  How long would it take the rookies to get up to the level of HB if his abilities deteriorate further with age.  That's a lot to pay just for the experience and Reed should take over the DB leadership.  

I feel he won't take 7.5, but given the lack of interest and being able to showcase himself on a team that will have a lot of TV coverage, its worth a shot...

Regarding drafting a player and keeping them 4-5 years....  why not both?  With how nasty the WRs are that we are going to see this year, it would nice to not have to worry about a rookie learning curve while getting mentored by someone like HB.  And I'll be honest, i don't know why, but i have this gut feeling about injuries in the secondary this year, and having that depth just in case would be nice.  And if our rookies come in and tear it up, we trade HB at the deadline.

1 minute ago, WichitaZRide said:

I feel he won't take 7.5, but given the lack of interest and being able to showcase himself on a team that will have a lot of TV coverage, its worth a shot...

Regarding drafting a player and keeping them 4-5 years....  why not both?  With how nasty the WRs are that we are going to see this year, it would nice to not have to worry about a rookie learning curve while getting mentored by someone like HB.  And I'll be honest, i don't know why, but i have this gut feeling about injuries in the secondary this year, and having that depth just in case would be nice.  And if our rookies come in and tear it up, we trade HB at the deadline.

explain to me if no body wants him now why would someone trade for him later? Yea maybe an injury but that's a hell of a gamble. 

7 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

Guess I'm okay with both, but with limited resources, I'd just prefer a Hill or Cine to paying HB.  Also don't think he's a fit with Reid brought in at S. 

15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

explain to me if no body wants him now why would someone trade for him later? Yea maybe an injury but that's a hell of a gamble. 

Tons of teams have interest in him.  He's been linked with 3/4 of the league.  They just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  If money is the issue, paying half that amount since he'd only be around half a year would be a lot easier to swallow

And there are other reasons teams could want him outside injury.  Rookies aren't developing, veterans have fallen off more than expected.  A new person simply isn't playing like they used to.  

You act like this would be the first time a player didn't sign right away and then was traded later on in a season...lol.

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Guess I'm okay with both, but with limited resources, I'd just prefer a Hill or Cine to paying HB.  Also don't think he's a fit with Reid brought in at S. 

Well First, he played with Reid in Houston together and it was a great fit.  

Also, we have like 15 mill in cap space right now and have been able to avoid a mahomes restructure so far.  More than enough opportunity to make something happen if we wanted it to.

12 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

Also, we have like 15 mill in cap space right now and have been able to avoid a mahomes restructure so far.  More than enough opportunity to make something happen if we wanted it to.

IIRC  that option period is over as of 3/18 @xen am I right?

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

IIRC  that option period is over as of 3/18 @xen am I right?

Depends on when the roster bonus is due.  It can be any date but is usually set in March or sometimes June 1 for older players.  Some guys it's structured as a per game bonus. Last year we restructured the roster bonus in March so likely yes its paid already.   Based on his age amd how much they want him around I would bet they're all lump sum bonuses due in March.   I do not think you can convert a bonus after it's paid but not sure.

2 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Were HB and Reid both captains of the defense at the same time?  Maybe not a problem, but I see it as a possibility.  There's plenty of places to spend the $18 million.  Maybe bring in Gilmore.  Maybe extend Brown.  Maybe roll some into next year.  Could be some opportunities after the draft and further cuts.  I'm not so quick to spend the loose change. 

I have to say, I've always liked Honey badger. I'll always remember when the Chiefs picked him up.

During an interview he was asked if He and Clark were there when the Chiefs played the Patriots in AFCC game, would the the Chiefs have won, and he said yes, very confidently. They backed it it up that year. I'll never forget that.