Tyrann Mathieu . Why didn’t the Chiefs resign him and Why hasn’t everyone else?

I personally believe that he has a deal in place already (I'm guessing the Saints), but is going to wait until closer to training camp so he doesn't have to do all the off season stuff.  He seems to be really enjoying his time right now doing his thing and hanging out with his family.  Just my guess...

Would I love seeing a Thornhill, Reid, HB rotation at safety?  Heck yes!  I just don't think its in the cards.

Another thing is HBs intensity.  While we love it as fans, I can see how players can get tired of it and it actually hurts the culture on the team.  Maybe the Chiefs moved on because it was messing with the chemistry on the defense.  Just a random thought...

Saints Wire

Visiting free agent Tyrann Mathieu leaves Saints meeting without a deal

John Sigler
Wed, April 6, 2022, 4:30 PM

Former Kansas City Chiefs free agent safety and popular LSU Tigers star Tyrann Mathieu visited the New Orleans Saints at their team facility this week while in town catching up with friends and family, but he walked away from the meeting without a deal — NewOrleans.Football’s Nick Underhill characterized the situation as more of a casual get-together with Mathieu taking time to meet team decision-makers and coaches while he happened to be in the area, reporting that there is “nothing imminent” in regards to a signing.

That’s discouraging on its face; a lot of fans were hoping Mathieu wouldn’t leave the building without a contract. But he’s one of the best free agents still available and intends to take his time in choosing where to continue his career. After spending the previous nine years with the Arizona Cardinals, Houston Texans, and the Chiefs, Mathieu is about to turn 30 in May and knows this is his last and best shot at earning generational wealth for himself and his family. He can afford to wait for teams to meet his number. What that could be is anyone’s guess, though it’s worth noting Mathieu brought in $14 million per year with the Chiefs.

Mathieu had praise for first-year head coach Dennis Allen and his staff, telling the Advocate’s Wilson Alexander of his appreciation from afar: “Those guys have done a great thing. The last couple years, they’ve been like top-five in defense. I don’t think they really need me, but it would be good to go back home and help them win.”

So, sure, Mathieu would enjoy playing in front of a friendly home crowd and wearing the same uniform he watched his favorite players rock on TV while growing up in the city. But it doesn’t sound like either side is powerfully motivated to get a deal hammered out right now or even in the immediate future. If Mathieu has to wait until after the 2022 NFL draft or even into training camp for the right opportunity and an acceptable contract offer to appear, well, it sounds like he’s ready to do that. Maybe the Saints are willing to wait, too.

After taking an in-person visit with the New Orleans Saints earlier this week, Mathieu now has his next visit on the docket. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Mathieu will take a virtual visit with the Philadelphia Eagles. NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo adds that the Eagles have been one of the teams showing the most interest in Mathieu during this free agency period, despite not having much money to work with, saying the Eagles have “remained in touch.”

Mathieu’s free agent market appears to be heating up after it started off quite cold. The visit with the Saints, which ended without a deal, seems to have prompted the virtual meeting with Philadelphia brass.

Mathieu also said that he would have likely accepted the same offer that the Chiefs made to Reid.

To be honest, if they would’ve offered me Justin Reid’s deal, obviously I would’ve tried to negotiate, but if that’s where they drew their line in the sand, I probably would’ve took it,” Mathieu said. “I probably would’ve took it. Agents are going to do their thing, but at the end of the day, it’s the player’s decision whether to sign it or not.”

that sounds like an attempt to get the same kind a offer .. and reid and the honey badger.. aint to bad.. after all we got rid of dirty dan. .and need someone to take his place.. but yeah the honeybadger would have to tackle again. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Mathieu also said that he would have likely accepted the same offer that the Chiefs made to Reid.

To be honest, if they would’ve offered me Justin Reid’s deal, obviously I would’ve tried to negotiate, but if that’s where they drew their line in the sand, I probably would’ve took it,” Mathieu said. “I probably would’ve took it. Agents are going to do their thing, but at the end of the day, it’s the player’s decision whether to sign it or not.”

He says that now. Because nothing is coming in. 
i don’t believe him

1 hour ago, robgar said:

that sounds like an attempt to get the same kind a offer .. and reid and the honey badger.. aint to bad.. after all we got rid of dirty dan. .and need someone to take his place.. but yeah the honeybadger would have to tackle again. 

well you know that's not going to happen!

yeah its really easy to sit back now and say that "I probably would of taken that"

Chiefs probably would of drafted Jonathan Taylor or Hopkins or Marino etc etc

I like him as a person and as a leader on the field but not as a actual player on the field anymore

Question: Do we think 2021 Tyrann Mathieu was underperforming due to trying to coast into a new contract without getting hurt....or that his actual level of ability has just fallen off that much? Or some combination thereof?

On 4/10/2022 at 6:42 PM, dhitter said:

Question: Do we think 2021 Tyrann Mathieu was underperforming due to trying to coast into a new contract without getting hurt....or that his actual level of ability has just fallen off that much? Or some combination thereof?

I don't think he has fallen off that much. He is 5'10" and 185 or so. He has never really laid the wood, but rarely misses a tackle. Most of the "drop off" last year was perceived. He was not first team all pro like the two previous years, but he is still much better than any safety we have on the roster. I think all of fans have their panties in a bunch over Twitter. I also think he is at an age that gives teams pause. I hope that he signs a one year deal with us or a cheap 3-year. That would turn S from a weakness to a strength. Still draft a FS to learn and be ready to limit the amount of Thornhill we see playing deep. He is not very good at it and this is the last year of his contract.

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

I don't think he has fallen off that much. He is 5'10" and 185 or so. He has never really laid the wood, but rarely misses a tackle. Most of the "drop off" last year was perceived. He was not first team all pro like the two previous years, but he is still much better than any safety we have on the roster. I think all of fans have their panties in a bunch over Twitter. I also think he is at an age that gives teams pause. I hope that he signs a one year deal with us or a cheap 3-year. That would turn S from a weakness to a strength. Still draft a FS to learn and be ready to limit the amount of Thornhill we see playing deep. He is not very good at it and this is the last year of his contract.

I've always thought he tackled and hit hard for a guy his size. 

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

He definitely dropped off last year... and I've seen him avoid hits throughout his stint at KC.

I get why... just not sure we want that in a safety. Safeties are battering rams. It's an attitude. They're not cornerbacks.

11 minutes ago, mex said:

He definitely dropped off last year... and I've seen him avoid hits throughout his stint at KC.

I get why... just not sure we want that in a safety. Safeties are battering rams. It's an attitude. They're not cornerbacks.

yea one thinks of Atwater, Polamalu,  Cherry and to lesser extent Eric Berry