Hypothetical Trade for DK Metcalf

Kansas City Chiefs

Adam Teicher's offer: The Chiefs would trade 2022 first- and third-round picks (Nos. 30 and 103).

Inside the offer: After trading Tyreek Hill, the Chiefs no longer have a No. 1 wide receiver. They do have two picks in each of the first four rounds in this draft, though, and could afford to part with these selections.

Still, it makes no sense to trade Hill for a huge package of picks because he wants a massive contract extension and then turn around and give away most of those picks for another receiver who wants an extension. In that case, the Chiefs should have just kept Hill and given him the extension he wanted. They could be in the Metcalf sweepstakes because he would make them better, yet there's only so far they would go.

Kansas City's top four wide receivers would be Metcalf and then, in some order, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Mecole Hardman. Those wideouts would flourish with the addition of Metcalf, and the team would have much more depth than it had last season.

Chiefs have something like 12 picks?   no way they keep all 12 because the Chief's roster is pretty good.

They will trade for a lower first round pick (IMO) and maybe even bundle and move up 2X to get a Edge and a WR....

Veach is smart  and there is no reason to draft 12 guys and then cut 5 of them...

w

1 minute ago, West said:

Chiefs have something like 12 picks?   no way they keep all 12 because the Chief's roster is pretty good.

They will trade for a lower first round pick (IMO) and maybe even bundle and move up 2X to get a Edge and a WR....

Veach is smart  and there is no reason to draft 12 guys and then cut 5 of them...

w

Four of the picks are sevenths so are next to worthless except to sweeten some trade offer just a bit.  I think the Chiefs can absorb eight picks although Veach has a history of trading and will probably end up with six for the first four rounds.  

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Word is that the Seahags turned down Jets 10th pick.  I think that pretty much says it all about this subject.

If the Jets didn't offer 10 for tyreek there is zero chance they offered it for Metcalf.   Remember initial reports said they were offering us a 1st til it came out that was bogus.

48 minutes ago, xen said:

If the Jets didn't offer 10 for tyreek there is zero chance they offered it for Metcalf.   Remember initial reports said they were offering us a 1st til it came out that was bogus.

They have seen their 2 high first rounds did not work for Hill. They also then saw 5 picks with a 1st and 2nd in their first Hill. I can believe they have offered a high first now with everything set for an asking price. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

They have seen their 2 high first rounds did not work for Hill. They also then saw 5 picks with a 1st and 2nd in their first Hill. I can believe they have offered a high first now with everything set for an asking price. 

They already knew what Miami was offering and kc already said they would have accepted Jets offer if tyreek wanted to go there.  They offered two 2nds and a 3rd.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

They already knew what Miami was offering and kc already said they would have accepted Jets offer if tyreek wanted to go there.  They offered two 2nds and a 3rd.

earlier in another thread I had provided a link to an article that Tyreek's feeling were taken into consideration. Hard to blame Cheetah, Weather/ no Income tax compared to high taxes and an overall shitty place...kinda no brainer.

21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

earlier in another thread I had provided a link to an article that Tyreek's feeling were taken into consideration. Hard to blame Cheetah, Weather/ no Income tax compared to high taxes and an overall shitty place...kinda no brainer.

Yeah they pretty much let him pick his destination. His family is from the area as well.  

I don’t agree with the articles premise, specifically the third paragraph.  It states trade away a majority of those picks.   Value wise we traded the first and two four rounders for DK.  DK has one affordable year before an extension would kick in.  We either pay for one of the best now or keep letting lesser wrs reset the market and we are forced to pay in the 30s.    We would still have 4 picks in the top 100.  But like some of y’all have said if they turned down the 10th pick those picks aren’t worth anything.   

The issue we have is the best course is draft two guys but those guys tend to struggle year one but that would be the best long term course.

3 hours ago, xen said:

From the draft positions, the Jets two seconds were worth as much as MIA's first and second.  Throw in an early third and I can see it as equivalent.  

48 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I don’t agree with the articles premise, specifically the third paragraph.  It states trade away a majority of those picks.   Value wise we traded the first and two four rounders for DK.  DK has one affordable year before an extension would kick in.  We either pay for one of the best now or keep letting lesser wrs reset the market and we are forced to pay in the 30s.    We would still have 4 picks in the top 100.  But like some of y’all have said if they turned down the 10th pick those picks aren’t worth anything.   

The issue we have is the best course is draft two guys but those guys tend to struggle year one but that would be the best long term course.

Any agent that would allow DK to negotiate an extension as part of the trade should be fired and banned from ever representing anyone again.  If I am his agent, I counsel him to catch passes from MVPat for a season and then talk contract.

I don't see Veach trading for a top WR that will get paid north of 20 million per year after trading Hill away for cap considerations. I'm not even sure if Chiefs are looking for a WR1 in the NFL. May be Veach trades a mid round pick for a 2nd-3rd tier guy but other than that any WR will likely come via the draft. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I don't see Veach trading for a top WR that will get paid north of 20 million per year after trading Hill away for cap considerations. I'm not even sure if Chiefs are looking for a WR1 in the NFL. May be Veach trades a mid round pick for a 2nd-3rd tier guy but other than that any WR will likely come via the draft. 

We got 2nd and 3rd tier guys out the wazoo.  If we go that route it's just cause that's all we could pry loose.

I think we have to make a play for Jameson or Olave. We only go as far as Mahomes can take us, so he needs the weapons. Defense will have a major youth influx so it will take half the season to gel at least. Spend a 1st and 62 to move up and grab our guy. 

48 minutes ago, xen said:

We got 2nd and 3rd tier guys out the wazoo.  If we go that route it's just cause that's all we could pry loose.

Considering the cost of acquiring a WR1 I think that's all we'll go for within trades. The only logical place to find WR1 without cap considerations is the draft.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Considering the cost of acquiring a WR1 I think that's all we'll go for within trades. The only logical place to find WR1 without cap considerations is the draft.

WR market for proven vets is crazy this year so the draft is the only way to go.  If that means a learning year to get a #1 up to speed, then so be it.  Only FA left is Gilmore and he may be unaffordable as well.  Just sign Brown, wait for the cap to go up next year, and get a younger and faster defense.  The NFL is designed to keep one franchise from dominating every year.  NE did it because they got a cheap elite QB and didn't hold on to vets too long.  KC has won six west championships in a row, hosted the AFCCG four years in a row, played in two SBs and won one of them.  One year without a WR on Hill's level won't ruin them.  

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

WR market for proven vets is crazy this year so the draft is the only way to go.  If that means a learning year to get a #1 up to speed, then so be it.  Only FA left is Gilmore and he may be unaffordable as well.  Just sign Brown, wait for the cap to go up next year, and get a younger and faster defense.  The NFL is designed to keep one franchise from dominating every year.  NE did it because they got a cheap elite QB and didn't hold on to vets too long.  KC has won six west championships in a row, hosted the AFCCG four years in a row, played in two SBs and won one of them.  One year without a WR on Hill's level won't ruin them.  

If a 1st or 2nd round WR can emerge as a decent WR2 as early as this year that's a realistic scenario for us to follow. I wouldn't even rule out instant production over long-term potential either as we seem to be wasting too much time on WRs before they are good for anything. 

Pats basically got whatever they could out of draftees and let them go when they actually peaked in value & performance. Any player that will be ready in year 3 is a waste IMO unless it's a very late pick. 

The Chiefs could get production out of a top draftee this year.  Just have to find someone that Pat trusts and limit his routes for a while.  I'm okay with trading a first and a day two pick to get a Williams.  It won't be disappointing if they wait until day two and pick up a second tier guy.  Some good potential in the second round.  Just have to mesh with Mahomes.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs could get production out of a top draftee this year.  Just have to find someone that Pat trusts and limit his routes for a while.  I'm okay with trading a first and a day two pick to get a Williams.  It won't be disappointing if they wait until day two and pick up a second tier guy.  Some good potential in the second round.  Just have to mesh with Mahomes.  

Some of these so called 2nd tier guys would be 1st tier in a lot of other years. WR is that deep.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Some of these so called 2nd tier guys would be 1st tier in a lot of other years. WR is that deep.

Pickens, Dotson, Watson, Moore and a few others could contribute this season.  Some are more risky but not necessarily poor players. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

WR is seemingly deep every year now due to so many high octane passing attacks in HS and college. So I don't know about that.  They are 2nd tier cause they come with limitations or concerns.