Interesting take by Peter King

1 hour ago, xen said:

I keep seeing Chiefs fans say edge and corner are bigger needs than receiver.  Honestly I think that's very short sighted considering we have 1 receiver under contract next year.

People seem to think Pat is magic and can make do with shrubbery at the receiver position.

Oh and by the way, and this is not aimed at you in any way, but I'ma bitch slap the next motherfucker that says "yeah but Tom Brady blah blah blah..."

In my thinking, the difference is that the receiver problem can be handled next year with money  in order to keep the guys we  have now who we want to keep and also by drafting a couple in the mid rounds this year to coach up. We will need to get a top receiver most of all for the following year. We need round 1 and 2 for an edge rusher and a CB/safety in the first round or first and second who can be used THIS year. That's merely my opinion.  The West has loaded up with weapons.  We need to stop or slow them down this year - first priority. BTW, even if we were to land Jameson in the first, he wouldn't play this year because of his injury. Also, receivers are the most unpredictable of all the positions.  There are so many great ones that come out of nowhere and so many "can't misses" who turn out to be busts.  But a good corner and edge rusher need to be gotten early and are much more predictable like that.

7 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

In my thinking, the difference is that the receiver problem can be handled next year with money  in order to keep the guys we  have now who we want to keep and also by drafting a couple in the mid rounds this year to coach up. We will need to get a top receiver most of all for the following year. We need round 1 and 2 for an edge rusher and a CB/safety in the first round or first and second who can be used THIS year. That's merely my opinion.  The West has loaded up with weapons.  We need to stop or slow them down this year - first priority. BTW, even if we were to land Jameson in the first, he wouldn't play this year because of his injury. Also, receivers are the most unpredictable of all the positions.  There are so many great ones that come out of nowhere and so many "can't misses" who turn out to be busts.  But a good corner and edge rusher need to be gotten early and are much more predictable like that.

You can't solve your receiver issues with money that easily.  In a world where Christian Kirk gets 18m per, even average receivers are gonna break your cap.   And sure you can get by with those guys but you're not winning a superbowl without some game changers catching the ball.

You also have to consider how long it takes receivers to get up to speed in Andy's offense.

Receivers aren't that unpredictable.  1st and 3rd rounds have yielded the highest number of second contracts and AAV.  If you want to see unpredictable look at 1st round edge players.   There's always a ton picked and they rarely get second contracts with the team that picked them (though the league is desperate for pass rushers so quite a few sign reclamation 2nd contracts with another team).  FYI safeties also perform poorly in this area.   CBs and receivers do much better as do offensive linemen.

BTW Jameson is on track to be ready for the season or shortly thereafter.  His best timeframe has him ready for camp.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I keep seeing Chiefs fans say edge and corner are bigger needs than receiver.  Honestly I think that's very short sighted considering we have 1 receiver under contract next year.

People seem to think Pat is magic and can make do with shrubbery at the receiver position.

Oh and by the way, and this is not aimed at you in any way, but I'ma bitch slap the next motherfucker that says "yeah but Tom Brady blah blah blah..."

"yeah, but Tom Brady blah blah blah..

/s/ Arrowhead

8 hours ago, xen said:

I dunno.  When I watched him actually run routes (rare, they did a lot of short stuff with him in the games I saw) even slower corners and safeties stayed right in his hip pocket.  He was pretty good with 50/50 balls though.  I guess I worry how his skillset will translate.  Would probably feel comfortable in the 2nd with him I suppose.

May 1st is coming up comrade.

9 hours ago, xen said:

I dunno.  When I watched him actually run routes (rare, they did a lot of short stuff with him in the games I saw) even slower corners and safeties stayed right in his hip pocket.  He was pretty good with 50/50 balls though.  I guess I worry how his skillset will translate.  Would probably feel comfortable in the 2nd with him I suppose.

May 1st is coming up comrade.

7 hours ago, xen said:

Disagree.  Olave I rate higher than Wilson.  Pickens I have as 1st round, just based on talent, without a doubt.  Without the injuries i think he's a top 15 guy.  I have Tolbert and Metchie as 1-2 round guys, both those guys should be getting way more love than they are by the draft community.   Christian Watson I have as a 1-2 as well, but that's purely a projection based on his athletic profile.   I might have Skyy Moore as a 1-2 but only got to see 1 game.  Looked really great to me.

Here's how I currently have them ranked, at least for how I think they fit with us.

1a Williams

1b London

2 Olave

3a Pickens

3b Wilson

4 Metchie

5 Tolbert

6a Watson

6b Skyy Moore

7 Calvin Austin

8a Burks

8b Alec Pierce

I don't know if it means this is a deep draft in multiple positions or basically me having some prejudice towards number of "worthy" players for each position but I like some linemen and secondary guys much better than they seem to be ranked in the mocks pushing some of the WRs out of the 1st even if that's their true talent level.

It's tough to rank PIckens IMO. A lot of players come back from ACL and quite a few come at 100% but as seen with Thornhill that process could be a bit tricky. I like Olave in terms of pure talent but whenever I see that frame I feel like he's about to break in two 😅

14 hours ago, xen said:

You can't solve your receiver issues with money that easily.  In a world where Christian Kirk gets 18m per, even average receivers are gonna break your cap.   And sure you can get by with those guys but you're not winning a superbowl without some game changers catching the ball.

You also have to consider how long it takes receivers to get up to speed in Andy's offense.

Receivers aren't that unpredictable.  1st and 3rd rounds have yielded the highest number of second contracts and AAV.  If you want to see unpredictable look at 1st round edge players.   There's always a ton picked and they rarely get second contracts with the team that picked them (though the league is desperate for pass rushers so quite a few sign reclamation 2nd contracts with another team).  FYI safeties also perform poorly in this area.   CBs and receivers do much better as do offensive linemen.

BTW Jameson is on track to be ready for the season or shortly thereafter.  His best timeframe has him ready for camp.

Good points.  My opinions are based more on recalling what the Chiefs have drafted over the years and what has happened with them rather than based on overall statistics, which I don't really follow.  But after all, it is the Chiefs draft I am most interested in right now.  I think about Travis Kelce in the 3rd round and Tyreek Hill in the 5th round.  I seem to recall that most of our greatest draft successes have come in the mid rounds when it comes to offensive weapons.  Even then, then, it is still mostly a crapshoot. Then I look at players like Aaron Donald, who was picked #1 overall by Houston in 2014.  I still would prefer to use first round choices on top rated defensive players, even though many of those turn out also to be busts. Also, neither BPA or need are very accurate.