Just to kick off draft week...

I had no clue clue who Mahomes was, and knew a little about Watson. When I heard the Chiefs moved up to get get him, and watched his highlights; I knew it was going to be a fun time. I didn't know it would the go to the level we actually got, but knew it would be exciting to watch.  

Great post!

5 hours ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

I remember saying to myself “who the hell is Patrick Mahomes & why didn’t we pick Deshawn Watson?”  ….

Shows how much I know.  LOL.

We may have won a super bowl with Watson. But long term success would not have been near the same. And the obvious effect on the city would have been different. 

5 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Even if Mahomes didn’t pan out, it was exciting. First QB drafted in round 1 in my lifetime. Hope for someone who was polar opposite of Alex Smith and would make things exciting. Then came the first preseason game. You could tell he was going to do things at an elite level.

Same here. Born about 6 months after the last 1st round QB selection by the Chiefs. Regardless of the outcome the year Mahomes had to sit out and his first year as the starter has been the most exciting time in life as a Chiefs fan. 

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

Same here. Born about 6 months after the last 1st round QB selection by the Chiefs. Regardless of the outcome the year Mahomes had to sit out and his first year as the starter has been the most exciting time in life as a Chiefs fan. 

I think that goes for all of us.

never thought we’d see the day.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

More than that, it kept us scared to draft a 1st round qb for almost 30 years.

5 hours ago, mex said:

Blackledge was the biggest bust in Chiefs history. That pick kept us down for more than a decade.

Yep, I don't understand giving up on the draft because of a terrible pick. 

Jim Shaaf was the GM  in 1983 until 1988.  JS IIRC was more a business man than Football talent scout more in the mold of Jack Steadman. I mean hell he even had a stint in with the A's before  the Chiefs.  If you want to say the Shaaf was snake bit  by the Blackledge debacle  sure I'll go with that but Carl and Marty especially Marty just was not the develope a QB types. When CP  came to town he had a 5 year plan, drafting a Qb  and developing one  and a 5 year plan does not jive. I think  that all the HC's and Oc's under Carl just did not have that  skill to be  developing a Qb. They would of been ruined from the get go. As long as the Chiefs where going 10-6 tor 13-3 ,making the playoffs and the seats where filled and Camarohead ( an old Grunny term) was rockn why F with it?

15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Jim Shaaf was the GM  in 1983 until 1988.  JS IIRC was more a business man than Football talent scout more in the mold of Jack Steadman. I mean hell he even had a stint in with the A's before  the Chiefs.  If you want to say the Shaaf was snake bit  by the Blackledge debacle  sure I'll go with that but Carl and Marty especially Marty just was not the develope a QB types. When CP  came to town he had a 5 year plan, drafting a Qb  and developing one  and a 5 year plan does not jive. I think  that all the HC's and Oc's under Carl just did not have that  skill to be  developing a Qb. They would of been ruined from the get go. As long as the Chiefs where going 10-6 tor 13-3 ,making the playoffs and the seats where filled and Camarohead ( an old Grunny term) was rockn why F with it?

Lots of truth to this. It's a bidness. The seats are full = the fans are happy.

The Carl/Marty era always seemed to be about defense... they thought they could pick up an affordable FA under center to get them to the promised land... while they spent their money keeping elway, hostettler, krieg, humphries at bay... it almost worked... when they finally landed an adequate FA QB (who happened to be a HOFer) and damned near pulled it off. 

Those were fun days, and the seats were full.  But today is more fun.

EDIT I'll never forgive them for letting Gannon go and keeping grbac... fucking dumbasses.

Full disclosure, I loved the Blackledge pick. 
He was a winner coming off a college championship season with a howitzer for an arm.

He was mobile, big and strong. He was the top rated QB after Elway and anyone in the Chiefs spot would have picked him.

In 1983, in limited relief of Kenney, he looked phenomenal. When Kenney was hurt the last preseason game in 1984 I was happy Blackledge would get the start.

He won a few games and looked pretty good. Then the wheels came off. He made poor decisions and had no idea how to go through his rotation or check down receivers. He often looked lost and frustrated. Lack of a viable running game didn’t help. In a couple of years his status as the worst bust in KC history was unavoidable.

So much enormous potential with such failure shocked the front office so much it was another generation before they could draft another first round QB. 

31 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Full disclosure, I loved the Blackledge pick. 
He was a winner coming off a college championship season with a howitzer for an arm.

He was mobile, big and strong. He was the top rated QB after Elway and anyone in the Chiefs spot would have picked him.

In 1983, in limited relief of Kenney, he looked phenomenal. When Kenney was hurt the last preseason game in 1984 I was happy Blackledge would get the start.

He won a few games and looked pretty good. Then the wheels came off. He made poor decisions and had no idea how to go through his rotation or check down receivers. He often looked lost and frustrated. Lack of a viable running game didn’t help. In a couple of years his status as the worst bust in KC history was unavoidable.

So much enormous potential with such failure shocked the front office so much it was another generation before they could draft another first round QB. 

In spite of all that... when one looks at the plethora of amazing (and highly successful) QBs in that draft, it's mighty hard not to be thoroughly disgusted with that pick.