Merry Draftmas! Draft Day Megathread

Our RT help or competition 

Pre-Draft Analysis

Kinnard primarily lined up at right tackle at Kentucky, but he projects better at guard than tackle in the NFL. He's a massive mauler who is one of the strongest blockers in this class; he pushes around defenders in the run game. He is late delivering his punch and doesn't mirror well, but he anchors fine, and his long arms and wide frame make it tough to get around him. -- Steve Muench

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

So far he has been.  OG seems a bit redundant.   I guess they will be losing Allegretti and Wylie potentially.   Getting ahead of the curve I guess.  Any truth to the rumors that Smith will kick out to RT?   Seems far fetched.

wont know until Training camp but Grunny seems to think that's the plan

By Ron Kopp Jr.

Strengths: Kinnard is a bully at right tackle — and he is able to do so because he’s a humongous human being. He carries it well — and it comes through in his measurables: he has an 86th-percentile wingspan, along with 98th-percentile hands— over 11 inches!

On the field, he’s an absolute brick house. He isn’t taken off his anchor and always has a wide base to swallow rushers. His big hands come through in his game, controlling defenders and rarely being shed. He’s an absolute people mover; when he down-blocks, he paves a path — collapsing the defensive line.

Weaknesses: His size makes it hard for him to get depth in his pass set, so speed rushers who fly off the ball can take advantage. He can hug a little too much, because he lacks the quickness and hand speed to keep up with sound technique; he did only have five-career penalties, however. At the next level, he might be a guard.

How he fits with the Chiefs: I believe Kinnard can come in and immediately compete with Lucas Niang at right tackle. He and Niang are actually very similar players, but Kinnard might be more physically dominating — although Niang may be quicker on his feet. All that is to say that Kinnard is capable of contributing right away.

Chiefs selected Kentucky G Darian Kinnard with the No. 145 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Kinnard (6’5/345) was a three-year starter at right tackle for Kentucky whose power was vaunted in the SEC. He’s a bully who is naturally powerful and wired with bad intentions. Kinnard has enormous, 99th-percentile hands, and he doesn’t let go in the run game once he’s latched on. He was an elite run-blocker in college, scoring 90.0-plus PFF grades in that area all three years on campus. He’s almost assuredly heading inside to guard at the next level due to his lateral-movement limitations. No amount of power could save Kinnard from getting his outside shoulder taken by elite speed rushers or getting crossed-up by quick counter-moves inside, something that will not be a concern inside. We see him as a Deonte Brown-like people-mover within a downhill-running offense. 

Chiefs selected Rice CB Joshua Williams with the No. 135 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Williams (6’3/195) is a big-bodied guy from a D-II school that showed up in a big way at the Senior Bowl. While he played at a much lower level of competition, he looked like he belonged in coverage against a really good group of receivers. His athletic profile paired with his size and length is excellent. Williams achieved a relative athletic score of 9.44 with a 4.53 40-yard dash and an excellent 1.50-second 10-yard split. Williams is a very fluid mover that uses his size and length to his advantage with leverage and in contested catch situations. If he can overcome the level of competition and improve his footwork, he could be a steal in the fourth round.

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs selected Kentucky G Darian Kinnard with the No. 145 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Kinnard (6’5/345) was a three-year starter at right tackle for Kentucky whose power was vaunted in the SEC. He’s a bully who is naturally powerful and wired with bad intentions. Kinnard has enormous, 99th-percentile hands, and he doesn’t let go in the run game once he’s latched on. He was an elite run-blocker in college, scoring 90.0-plus PFF grades in that area all three years on campus. He’s almost assuredly heading inside to guard at the next level due to his lateral-movement limitations. No amount of power could save Kinnard from getting his outside shoulder taken by elite speed rushers or getting crossed-up by quick counter-moves inside, something that will not be a concern inside. We see him as a Deonte Brown-like people-mover within a downhill-running offense. 

Veach trading back worked out very well.

16 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Could be the steal of the draft similar to Smith last year. 

Just now, oldtimer said:

at least your consistent I give you that.. so let me guess Chief Drafted Kinnard to be the next LT?

Jesus christ man, description is run mauling right tackle, mountain of a man who struggles to get depth in pass protection. If thats not a brown description i dont know what is. Its neither a positive or negative comment its just a factual statement 

I don't really give a crap what we do in the 7th at this point.  Go get Punt God for all I care.

Initial reaction is this is by far Veach's best draft.  That's partly the result of having so many picks, but he absolutely knocked every pick out of the park.  

Yes I may have gone some different directions but every player was good to great value where they were picked, with most being in the great category (cook and Williams I'd consider good value).  

Veach has transformed this defense amd you can see the plan taking shape.  

Sure not every pick will likely pan out but it's hard for me to argue against taking any of these players.

If you don't love this draft class you have some personal issues you need to deal with that keep you from appreciating nice things.

1 minute ago, xen said:

I don't really give a crao what we do in the 7th at this point.  

Initial reaction is this is by far Veach's best draft.  That's partly the result of having so many picks, but he absolutely knocked every pick out of the park.  

Yes I may have gone some different directions but every player was good to great value where they were picked, with most being in the great category (cook and Williams I'd consider good value).  

Veach has transformed this defense amd you can see the plan taking shape.  

Sure not every pick will likely pan out but it's hard for me to argue against taking any of these players.

If you don't love this draft class you have some personal issues you need to deal with that keep you from appreciating nice things.

Yes, defense should be much improved. If Skyy Moore can be 75 to 80% of tyreek or maybe MVS can be 75% of tyreek and skyy can be a stud #2 then we should be a better team this year.

skyy being a legit wr is kinda the key to the outcome of draft so far to me.

hopefully we bring in ingram or a similar d end and be a top 10 defense

34 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

You think they are planning kinnard at left guard and thuney at LT or RT ?

Nah. Im just hoping KC can figure out how to get a LT ready for next season through this draft or free agent next year so they dont put big money on Brown. He is a very good tackle but not elite. Im hoping these let the big contract guys walk moves , like Matheau and Hill and Ward, work out.  Jones contract is up soon too.