• DE George Karlaftis
    • WR Skyy Moore
    • S Bryan Cook
    • LB Leo Chanel
    • DB Joshua Williams
    • OL Darian Kinnard
    • Other

37 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We got got a lot better this weekend and we still have that 22 million per saved which can still be used now or next year to fill a gap at wr or de.   Super pumped!

I’d assume it’d have to be next year.  At this point, what’s available to even spend it on?  

A and Leo Chenal is my favorite also. The way he hits and tackles just stands out to me.  Karlaftis was the only name I remember hearing prior to the draft, I didn't know anything about these other dudes. 

I just followed what you guys & RGR were saying. I think this is the most positive I've seen you all post about a Chiefs draft since I've been on this forum. Even more than 2008. I'm pretty happy with it.

Pff grades

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

R1 (21) — CB Trent McDuffie, Washington
R1 (30) — EDGE George Karlaftis, Purdue
R2 (54) — WR Skyy Moore, Western Michigan
R2 (62) — S Bryan Cook, Cincinnati
R3 (103) — LB Leo Chenal, Wisconsin
R4 (135) — CB Joshua Williams, Fayetteville State
R5 (145) — T Darian Kinnard, Kentucky
R7 (243) — CB Jaylen Watson, Washington State
R7 (251) — RB Isaih Pacheco, Rutgers
R7 (259) — S Nazeeh Johnson, Marshall

Day 1: While it required a trade-up, Trent McDuffie is a great addition for the Chiefs at No. 21 overall. McDuffie was the 11th-ranked player overall on PFF’s big board and had one of the best careers PFF College has ever seen. He turned in an 80.0-plus grade as a true freshman, sophomore and junior, something just one other Power Five corner has accomplished in the PFF College era. He may be small, but he possesses elite awareness and top-notch athleticism and is a physical tackler. McDuffie has all the traits to be a versatile chess piece for Kansas City.

Karlaftis’ slide ends with the Chiefs at 30th overall, making him the biggest steal of Round 1. He turned in a 90.6 pass-rush grade as one of the few game-wreckers in college football last season. Also known as the college football Greek Freak, the 6-foot-4, 266-pounder boasts some of the best hand usage in the class and plays with big-time power and an impressive get-off. Karlaftis posted the fourth-best win rate in the Power Five on true pass rushes this past season despite being consistently chipped, doubled and cut.

Day 2: Skyy Moore was a first-round prospect in PFF’s eyes, once again giving the Chiefs one of the biggest steals of the NFL draft. The highest-graded wide receiver of the 2021 college football season wasn’t any of the Power Five top prospects — it was Western Michigan’s Skyy Moore. The 5-foot-10, 195-pound receiver’s 26 broken tackles after the catch tied for the most among wide receivers in 2021, and he ranked in the 95th percentile in separation percentage. Despite his smaller stature, Moore had no issue handling press coverage on the outside, ranking top-five in yards per route run on those reps last season at 3.58. The cherry on top is his strong hands — the Western Michigan pass-catcher checked in with the largest hands of anyone at the Combine (10.25 inches) and dropped just three of his 125 targets in 2021 while catching eight of his 13 contested opportunities.

Bryan Cook is a physical tackler who could be an impact player in the NFL if he can stay healthy. Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell said he ran a 4.45-second 40-yard dash in the winter, but injuries that he played through during the season kept him from testing in the pre-draft process. His best role in Kansas City will be around the line of scrimmage at box safety.

Kansas City gets an absolute steal here with Leo Chenal in the third round. Chenal packs a punch as a downhill player, as he can light up offensive linemen with ease. His 94.1 run-defense grade wasn’t too far behind Micah Parsons‘ (94.8) PFF college record. He finished the pre-draft process as PFF’s No. 36 overall player.

Day 3: Darian Kinnard is one of the most accomplished run-blockers at the tackle position in college football. Even though he may end up at guard, he earned 89.0-plus run-blocking grades over the past three seasons.

Draft Grade: A+

2 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Big thanks to Tyreek for all them picks we got. 

Veach was able to address the defense. He has stated Willie Gay will be the starting ILB with Bolton and the rook on the outside. 

Veach said no such thing.  Chanel is the Sam and will backup the Mike as well.  Bolton will start at Mike.

"I think Leo allows us to play [linebacker] Willie [Gay] more at his natural position – the 'WILL' linebacker [spot]," Veach said. "Now, we have a 'SAM', and Leo will also have backup 'MIKE' ability. [Linebacker] Nick [Bolton] is so important to us – he kind of runs that show. So, now you have a guy who can play SAM and also back up that MIKE position."

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

I’d assume it’d have to be next year.  At this point, what’s available to even spend it on?  

One of those disgruntled wrs.  Not saying they should trade for one but at this point that would be the only real chance this year.   I have a hard time believing with the draft in KC that Hunt would allow them to trade a first.

38 minutes ago, xen said:

Veach said no such thing.  Chanel is the Sam and will backup the Mike as well.  Bolton will start at Mike.

"I think Leo allows us to play [linebacker] Willie [Gay] more at his natural position – the 'WILL' linebacker [spot]," Veach said. "Now, we have a 'SAM', and Leo will also have backup 'MIKE' ability. [Linebacker] Nick [Bolton] is so important to us – he kind of runs that show. So, now you have a guy who can play SAM and also back up that MIKE position."

That's the quote I was referring to. Is Gay's natural position not the inside? Hitchens has occupied that up to now. 

Edit: nevermind. 

2 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

That's the quote I was referring to. Is Gay's natural position not the inside? Hitchens has occupied that up to now. 

Boltons natural position is inside.  We run a 4-3 base so there is only one Mike which is Bolton.   Gay can play Sam but he is better suited for Will.  Conversely Chenal is better suited to play Sam or Mike.  He maybe could be coached into playing more coverage based on his RAS but he didn’t do much of that at Wisconsin.    Sam is also the easiest to transition to so it makes sense for him to be the base Sam on first and second downs and then step off until until he is up to speed in coverage.  Jmo

Just now, NCChief said:

I'm so glad Veach stuck to his word and promised that this defense would be fixed.  Don't know yet but it sure as hell looks promising.  Also glad he didn't give up the draft for Williams so we could basically field the same as last year.

Kinda, we addresses DL once lol but our defense is so much better overall.  We will be better this year and set up for the next 5 if half these guys can contribute!  Pumped!

7 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

"you can't properly judge a draft class for years "

Just to fuck with Xen, ban time soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought about it but didn’t want to miss out 😂 

A and Kinnard 

a right side of smith and Kinnard will be nasty. 
Kinnard was the top lineman in the SEC this year as voted by his peers. If he keeps his weight around 330 he will be fine at RT. Niang and Christian give us quality depth we’ve never really seen. 

15 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Boltons natural position is inside.  We run a 4-3 base so there is only one Mike which is Bolton.   Gay can play Sam but he is better suited for Will.  Conversely Chenal is better suited to play Sam or Mike.  He maybe could be coached into playing more coverage based on his RAS but he didn’t do much of that at Wisconsin.    Sam is also the easiest to transition to so it makes sense for him to be the base Sam on first and second downs and then step off until until he is up to speed in coverage.  Jmo

We are in sun packages over 70% off the time however having Bolton and Gay as the inside guys in the nickel.

Chenal will be the SAM. And used a lot like Ragland. Where he could pressure off the edge.  Chenal is very good at blitzing and at 6’ 3” 250 he has the size to do it too. 

11 minutes ago, Palangi said:

A and Kinnard 

a right side of smith and Kinnard will be nasty. 
Kinnard was the top lineman in the SEC this year as voted by his peers. If he keeps his weight around 330 he will be fine at RT. Niang and Christian give us quality depth we’ve never really seen. 

They will probably start Wylie, lol.

50 minutes ago, SEMO said:

They will probably start Wylie, lol.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/4/30/23050888/meet-the-10-new-chiefs-players-as-part-of-their-2022-draft-class

Chiefs’ take: “For me personally, I like him as a right tackle. I think some of the little things that maybe he needs to fine-tune. I mean, you got to realize he’s obviously a really good football player. He’s all-SEC. He’s All-American. This guy is a multiple-year starter at Kentucky. He was a top recruit. He’s a big massive man with long arms, and it’s just the little things, and that’s where (offensive line) coach (Andy) Heck comes into play. I think we can use him, work him as a right tackle. If we needed to, we can put him in at guard, but I think his first spot’s going to be right tackle, and that’s on coach Heck. It would be up to him — nobody else other than him and coach Reid.” - Scout Pat Sperduto”

2 hours ago, NCChief said:

I'm so glad Veach stuck to his word and promised that this defense would be fixed.  Don't know yet but it sure as hell looks promising.  Also glad he didn't give up the draft for Williams so we could basically field the same as last year.

Wholeheartedly agree!  I got so tired of hearing the pundits talk about the Chiefs moving up to get him. I'm sure he will be a good receiver, but the Chiefs needed to address the defense.  

I really like McDuffie but since he's a first rounder that cost multiple picks I think the Chanel pick is much better in terms of value. Overall I think this draft gets a solid B that may turn into an A depending on how many of these guys we can really use but I'm guessing it'll be an easy A.

McDuffie was my #2 corner in this class.  The fact they got him at 21 is absurd.

And since I know I will be asked, I had him ahead of the LSU kid.  They played the board right by letting the shitty teams beat eachother up for the receivers, so they could sneak away with a pure cover corner.

Didn't matter because they landed a fit in the next round anyhow, even after moving down.  Moving down allowed them to land a meat mountain at RT.

Cook would have been rated higher if he didn't blow off the combine.

No real wtf picks.  Can't see how anyone could be disappointed today.    A

It also helps that I don't think the rest of the division did all that well.

However, they did during FA while the Chiefs arguably didn't upgrade overall.

Ideally they really need at least 3 of these picks to contribute in a meaningful way early on the maintain king of the mountain.  Tough ask from any rookie class, but probability of beating the odds looking pretty good looking over who got picked.

I picked Chenal as my favorite pick. He is a downhill player, but is physically gifted. Fits perfect for SAM. He is not a coverage linebacker, but is a very good pass rusher. He will play the run extremely well. Years past, the Chiefs were awful against the run and their Defensive line had to be the ones stopping it. I think our linebackers may now be a big time strength and Chenal will be a big part of that. Love this pick.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

McDuffie was my #2 corner in this class.  The fact they got him at 21 is absurd.

And since I know I will be asked, I had him ahead of the LSU kid.  They played the board right by letting the shitty teams beat eachother up for the receivers, so they could sneak away with a pure cover corner.

Didn't matter because they landed a fit in the next round anyhow, even after moving down.  Moving down allowed them to land a meat mountain at RT.

Cook would have been rated higher if he didn't blow off the combine.

No real wtf picks.  Can't see how anyone could be disappointed today.    A

It also helps that I don't think the rest of the division did all that well.

However, they did during FA while the Chiefs arguably didn't upgrade overall.

Ideally they really need at least 3 of these picks to contribute in a meaningful way early on the maintain king of the mountain.  Tough ask from any rookie class, but probability of beating the odds looking pretty good looking over who got picked.

Well said Liquid.  I’m super pumped about the draft as well.  Really sets us up nicely for the next 5 years if these guys pan out as contributors and a few shine. We go into next year needing a complimentary DE, another WR, and interior DL.  We have plenty of picks and money to easily do that and do it well all while not punting on this season.   We are going to be tough by the end of the year!

2 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

I picked Chenal as my favorite pick. He is a downhill player, but is physically gifted. Fits perfect for SAM. He is not a coverage linebacker, but is a very good pass rusher. He will play the run extremely well. Years past, the Chiefs were awful against the run and their Defensive line had to be the ones stopping it. I think our linebackers may now be a big time strength and Chenal will be a big part of that. Love this pick.

I bet he gets some work at DE.