• DE George Karlaftis
    • WR Skyy Moore
    • S Bryan Cook
    • LB Leo Chanel
    • DB Joshua Williams
    • OL Darian Kinnard
    • Other

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

McDuffie was my #2 corner in this class.  The fact they got him at 21 is absurd.

And since I know I will be asked, I had him ahead of the LSU kid.  They played the board right by letting the shitty teams beat eachother up for the receivers, so they could sneak away with a pure cover corner.

Didn't matter because they landed a fit in the next round anyhow, even after moving down.  Moving down allowed them to land a meat mountain at RT.

Cook would have been rated higher if he didn't blow off the combine.

No real wtf picks.  Can't see how anyone could be disappointed today.    A

It also helps that I don't think the rest of the division did all that well.

However, they did during FA while the Chiefs arguably didn't upgrade overall.

Ideally they really need at least 3 of these picks to contribute in a meaningful way early on the maintain king of the mountain.  Tough ask from any rookie class, but probability of beating the odds looking pretty good looking over who got picked.

Chiefs upgraded in the FA period by getting cap space, picks that were used this year and picks for next year with cap space still available. The downgrade we had was one player, a huge ine in Hill, but out WR core as a group did get much better. If these picks pan out, we will have hit a home run for sure.

Was pleased with the draft. I thought they'd double dip at DE, but maybe they decided today's QBs get the ball out of their hands too quickly so better to focus on our thin secondary. 

Anxious to see how we look at the end of the season. Think it's a wild card/growth season where we click and become dangerous when it counts in the end. 

On 4/30/2022 at 11:12 PM, Spfdchiefsfan said:

"you can't properly judge a draft class for years "

Just to fuck with Xen, ban time soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT BAN TIME WAS SOOO WORTH IT!  I needed a refresh!  Ty Xen for being the ass we all know you are!  ;)

9 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yessssssss!!!!

I was hoping the Chiefs would grab Ross in the seventh sort of like they did with Smith last year.  Spine issues are scary things for football players, but if Ross can safely pass physically, he could be a starting quality receiver.  Well worth the risk to put him on IR and see if he can be fixed. 

I don’t know if this has been posted.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEEvBFcnoHKh7VYHvlQ8Mg8QqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowt-rdCjCz0NQBMLOWkgI?uo=CAUiANIBAA&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

I know nobody really knows what a rook is going to do and I have been scratching my head with some of their ratings on active players, but damn. They rank 20% of the biggest steals in the whole draft were by the Chiefs. I don’t know what it means but better than ranked with 20% of the reaches.  

27 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I don’t know if this has been posted.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEEvBFcnoHKh7VYHvlQ8Mg8QqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowt-rdCjCz0NQBMLOWkgI?uo=CAUiANIBAA&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

I know nobody really knows what a rook is going to do and I have been scratching my head with some of their ratings on active players, but damn. They rank 20% of the biggest steals in the whole draft were by the Chiefs. I don’t know what it means but better than ranked with 20% of the reaches.  

Yeah pff was really high on our draft haul.  

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So the Chiefs have a low average because of Kinnard?  He may be starting day one if the coaches can trust hi. 

We ranked 6th overall even with Kinnard and with Cook not testing.  I wouldn't call that low

3 hours ago, xen said:

We ranked 6th overall even with Kinnard and with Cook not testing.  I wouldn't call that low

True, I should have posted "lower".  The main point is that the other five tested very high.  I've been sold on Chanel.  His statement that three years ago he couldn't do any of this stuff bodes well for him learning to cover when necessary.  Except for Williams, all the first round picks could get significant time during this season.  There will likely be a few disappointments, but at this point, every player looks useful and three will probably start day one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Athletic article where nfl execs are giving opinions without using their names. 

Here's the kc writeup:

It’s never difficult to discern what the Chiefs are trying to accomplish. When they wanted to address their offensive line last offseason, they traded for tackle Orlando Brown, signed the most expensive free-agent guard in Joe Thuney and drafted multiple starters. Using seven of 10 draft choices on defense this year, including five for defensive backs, left little doubt of the Chiefs’ direction.

“They went all-in for defense a few years ago as well, so that is their pattern, to fix the problem,” an exec said. “One difference in this draft was, they not only got what I think are good players, but they avoided some of the character risks they might have taken in the past. These are all really good football character people.”

Though most execs had Stingley and Gardner as the clear top two corners, a few did prefer Trent McDuffie, the corner Kansas City drafted at 21 after trading up eight spots with New England. On our podcast before the draft, Mueller said he had McDuffie as the top corner in the draft based partly on scheme versatility and what he described as an impeccable sense of timing in coverage and when playing the ball. He ranked McDuffie as the 10th-best player in the draft.

“I thought Minnesota was going to take McDuffie at 12 before they traded out,” an exec said. “I had him in that 15-20 range, more in the teens, because you are talking about a cornerback who is under 5-11. I do love the player, but the size does affect the value some.”

It was interesting to see Kansas City and Green Bay each select two defensive players in the first round after creating major holes at receiver by trading Hill and Adams, respectively. Both teams did draft wide receivers, but they filled the void by signing veterans and using less premium picks. For Kansas City, that meant making Skyy Moore the 13th receiver selected and the final one taken in the first two rounds.

“Kansas City is in better position than Green Bay because their quarterback is younger,” an exec said. “It is rare you have a team that has made however many straight AFC Championship games then have extra draft capital in multiple drafts. That is a pretty good position to be in, whereas for Green Bay, you are hoping the guy from North Dakota State (Christian Watson) pans out and that Rodgers stays more than an extra year.”

First draft in memory that the Chiefs drafted in the exact position order that I wanted.  CB, DE, WR, S, LB another CB, and RT.  And they did it without reaching.  Add in a kick returner in the seventh and a possible WR and LB from the UDFA list and Chiefs' fans should be happy right now.  If three/four start and a few others contribute, it been a great draft. Now go find a pass rushing DT. 

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

First draft in memory that the Chiefs drafted in the exact position order that I wanted.  CB, DE, WR, S, LB another CB, and RT.  And they did it without reaching.  Add in a kick returner in the seventh and a possible WR and LB from the UDFA list and Chiefs' fans should be happy right now.  If three/four start and a few others contribute, it been a great draft. Now go find a pass rushing DT. 

I feel like we got steals with almost all of our draft picks.  The RT is a diamond in the rough IMO. 

Also, I am very high on Ross.  I think we got a really good player in him for nothing.  Don’t know much about the UDFA LB they got.  What is his name?

1 hour ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

I feel like we got steals with almost all of our draft picks.  The RT is a diamond in the rough IMO. 

Also, I am very high on Ross.  I think we got a really good player in him for nothing.  Don’t know much about the UDFA LB they got.  What is his name?

Mike Rose

Coverage backer with size.  Has a chance at the 53 if he shows out.  Really good COD for his size.  

No idea if he'll make the roster.  Better be good on ST.

Rose Chenal.jpeg

1 hour ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

Mike Rose has a chance to become the fourth/fifth LB.  Both Bolton and Chenal are downhill types and not so skilled at coverage.  Rose doesn't have the strength or speed, but he's supposed to be able to pass defend.  He's a possible replacement for Neiman if he can learn the system.  I think he makes the team if the Chiefs keep five LBs and four safeties.  XEN is right about him needing to play ST if he gets a slot on the team.  

2 hours ago, xen said:

Mike Rose

Coverage backer with size.  Has a chance at the 53 if he shows out.  Really good COD for his size.  

No idea if he'll make the roster.  Better be good on ST.

Rose Chenal.jpeg

I think he has a great shot at making the roster.  Good size and good coverage ability for someone his size.  Not saying he is a locked down lb but the dude covered the slot at times at Iowa State.  He only misses this roster if he doesn’t play ST like you said, but I believe he knows that and will be a good ST player.   Kinda surprised he didn’t get drafted.  He was rated as a 4-5th rounder my a few pundits.