The Greek Freek - George Karlaftis

11 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

Will Ferrell Chill GIF

When I am watching a game, and we get a killer penalty that sets us back, I don't relax. I like agressive and hard hitters, but they have to be smart in the NFL.  The NFL protects its quarterbacks.  They are the private property of gigantic corporations :lol:

26 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I think you are right. With Jones at 27 mill (save 20 cutting) and Frank Clark at 30 mill (save 21 cutting), the D line will still be needing attention. I would like to extend Chris since he won't be 30 yet, but he will be looking for that big payday I am sure.

Don't get me wrong I would rather we extend him and get some cap relief.  Consistent interior pressure is extremely hard to find.

27 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I think you are right. With Jones at 27 mill (save 20 cutting) and Frank Clark at 30 mill (save 21 cutting), the D line will still be needing attention. I would like to extend Chris since he won't be 30 yet, but he will be looking for that big payday I am sure.

Don't get me wrong I would rather we extend him and get some cap relief.  Consistent interior pressure is extremely hard to find.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

The Chiefs should be in a good cap situation in the near future.  Brown, Tuney, Kelce, and Mahomes on offense and Jones, Reid on defense are the only big contracts.  Yeah, some of the rookie contracts expire soon, but the cap will surely go up.  I think the Chiefs can afford Jones for another contract as long as he doesn't expect DE money.  The Chiefs did exactly as I hoped.  They avoided overpriced vets and drafted to fill starting holes.  If they can find a top DE, DT, and WR next year, they could be solid.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs should be in a good cap situation in the near future.  Brown, Tuney, Kelce, and Mahomes on offense and Jones, Reid on defense are the only big contracts.  Yeah, some of the rookie contracts expire soon, but the cap will surely go up.  I think the Chiefs can afford Jones for another contract as long as he doesn't expect DE money.  The Chiefs did exactly as I hoped.  They avoided overpriced vets and drafted to fill starting holes.  If they can find a top DE, DT, and WR next year, they could be solid.  

Sorry but CJ won't be cheap.  He won't get paid Aaron Donald money but it may be close.  He's not Aaron Donald but as far as consistent pressure he's as close to him as the NFL currently has.  We're not carrying a ton of big contracts anymore so we can probably afford it.  Whether we want to or not is the question.  Donald just got an extension recently....

56 minutes ago, xen said:

Sorry but CJ won't be cheap.  He won't get paid Aaron Donald money but it may be close.  He's not Aaron Donald but as far as consistent pressure he's as close to him as the NFL currently has.  We're not carrying a ton of big contracts anymore so we can probably afford it.  Whether we want to or not is the question.  Donald just got an extension recently....

Not claiming he would be cheap, but my thought was that DTs in general don't make DE type money.  Yep, the Chiefs should be able to afford him.  The Falcons just signed Jarrett for $51 million over three years, 17year.  Jones would certainly deserve more but not that much more than he currently gets.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Not claiming he would be cheap, but my thought was that DTs in general don't make DE type money.  Yep, the Chiefs should be able to afford him.  The Falcons just signed Jarrett for $51 million over three years, 17year.  Jones would certainly deserve more but not that much more than he currently gets.  

I don't thing Jarrett's production is in the same league.

Last 4 years combined

Grady Jarrett

Pressures - 101

Sacks - 18.5

Chris Jones

Pressures - 154

Sacks - 41

Aaron Donald

Pressures - 211

Sacks - 59

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Jones is making $28 million this year and 27 next year. I don’t think he will except anything even close to 17 per on his last big contract. 

Just now, DieHard said:

Jones is making $28 million this year and 27 next year. I don’t think he will except anything even close to 17 per on his last big contract. 

Rams are renegotiating Donald so no idea what they'll do with CJ.  I'm sure Donald will break open the DT average salaries.

12 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Agree.  I just don't think he'll get a big raise.  If he does insist on it, it may be time for the Chiefs to do the same as with Hill.  Either way, the Chiefs have work to do on their line. 

Chiefs signed first-round EDGE George Karlaftis to a four-year contract.  

The deal will be fully guaranteed and includes a fifth-year option. Karlaftis should immediately slot into the Kansas City starting lineup a year after posting 41 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, five sacks, three fumbles, and two pass break ups while earning second-team All-American recognition at Purdue. Pro Football Focus in 2021 graded KC's pass rush as the 19th best in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs signed first-round EDGE George Karlaftis to a four-year contract.  

Pro Football Focus in 2021 graded KC's pass rush as the 19th best in the NFL. 

There's a good chance it will improve.  Karlaftis should add some numbers,  Maybe Kaindoh has something.  Maybe Saunders finally gets it together.  Losing Reed is no biggy and assuming Ingram is here all year, things have to get better.  Also, Veach may not be done with this off season. 

On 5/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, xen said:

Rams are renegotiating Donald so no idea what they'll do with CJ.  I'm sure Donald will break open the DT average salaries.

Honestly I could see another Tyreek Hill situation that nets us a couple picks.  Not the same haul as Hill but I could see a first round pick or a package of 2nd and 3rd rounders.   I wouldn't personally do that though.   The FA pass rushing class is pretty pathetic next year so I would be inclined to keep/extend Jones.   Part of me wishes we could  have made that Hill trade earlier (No one could have known) so we could have added another pass rusher.   However, we didn't overpay an older vet and at some point we are going to have to develop and draft our ends.   This draft added one solid DE and a bunch of secondary.  Hope we hit on enough that our secondary is set for the next 3-4 years and we can do the same at DE, DT, and WR next draft.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Honestly I could see another Tyreek Hill situation that nets us a couple picks.  Not the same haul as Hill but I could see a first round pick or a package of 2nd and 3rd rounders.   I wouldn't personally do that though.   The FA pass rushing class is pretty pathetic next year so I would be inclined to keep/extend Jones.   Part of me wishes we could  have made that Hill trade earlier (No one could have known) so we could have added another pass rusher.   However, we didn't overpay an older vet and at some point we are going to have to develop and draft our ends.   This draft added one solid DE and a bunch of secondary.  Hope we hit on enough that our secondary is set for the next 3-4 years and we can do the same at DE, DT, and WR next draft.

The Chiefs have two thirds, two fourths, and two sixths next year.  Us pretend GMs focus on first and second rounds, but tons of players are picked up late day two and early day three.  If the Chiefs find a true #1 WR and an EDGE next off season, they should be pretty solid.  A pass rushing DT would be icing on the cake. 

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs have two thirds, two fourths, and two sixths next year.  Us pretend GMs focus on first and second rounds, but tons of players are picked up late day two and early day three.  If the Chiefs find a true #1 WR and an EDGE next off season, they should be pretty solid.  A pass rushing DT would be icing on the cake. 

They may find a true 1 WR this year. We need DT and DE next year to be ready for Clark, Ingram being gone and possibly CJ the year after.