HB Signs With Saints

The contract details are unknown and the deal is unlikely to be made official until after 4 PM eastern on May 2, after which free agents no longer count against the compensatory draft pick formula. Mathieu turns 30 in May, but his departure from the Chiefs had as much to do with their cap situation as his age. He was a critical component of the Chiefs' defense since joining them in 2019. The Saints ranked second in Pro Football Focus' coverage grades last season and Mathieu's presence should help the Saints maintain an elite level of play on the backend.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Fuck em. He overplayed his hand. Thought he was gonna set the market at 30 years old.

He and his agent came to Veach with a number and Veach was like "OK then, best of luck."

"Somebody get Justin Reids agent on the phone."

He did everything we asked him to do. He was a great Chief. I wish him well. 

16 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

The contract details are unknown and the deal is unlikely to be made official until after 4 PM eastern on May 2, after which free agents no longer count against the compensatory draft pick formula. Mathieu turns 30 in May, but his departure from the Chiefs had as much to do with their cap situation as his age. He was a critical component of the Chiefs' defense since joining them in 2019. The Saints ranked second in Pro Football Focus' coverage grades last season and Mathieu's presence should help the Saints maintain an elite level of play on the backend.

that kinda bites

Just now, Spfdchiefsfan said:

All up until he dissed the fans.  Hated him ever since!  He won't be missed in my book!

Hated? Dang Dale! I just quit caring about him after his  poor tackling became a glaring issue. Notice how these DB draft picks are tackling? The Chiefs saw that as well.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Hated? Dang Dale! I just quit caring about him after his  poor tackling became a glaring issue. Notice how these DB draft picks are tackling? The Chiefs saw that as well.

Well, if you haven't figured it out, I'm kind of an asshole!   LOL, I guess hate was a strong word, but I did not like him and did not want him resigned.  You have the right to say what you want, but to call us the worst fans in the league!  Kind of deserved the hat(dislike)!

23 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Tackling was a sorely missed thing last year. Many times we whiffed and it resulted in a first down or extending the drive for a td etc. I want the type that lives to hit and to do it well with wrapping up etc.

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

He was really bad last year. Absolutely the right move to let him walk and reload the secondary with young guys

Except he wasn’t. One of the best DBs on the field last year. You are just used to seeing the only All Pro stand out. He made a lot more plays than Dan or Thornhill.

He played well and was a big part of our SB win. I appreciate that. As far as the last few seasons...so so. I'm glad the rumors of him returning after his first round of visits were just that, rumors. I was ready to move on. I feel ok at the safety position right now assuming Thornhill gets back to level her was prior to injury. 

Thornhill is on the spot.  Contract year and the Chiefs drafted 5 DBs and got a starter plus in FA.  I don't see Cook playing high, but if Reid pans out Thornhill could slide to third safety and miss out on his big pay day.  Look for him to really step it up this year or he's gone. 

18 minutes ago, jetlord said:

"More plays than Dan" is faint praise.  

I believe he was second only to Bolton in solo tackles. Led the team in picks. His numbers are very good and had few missed tackles that I remember, but I can’t find team stats for that. 

In 2020, he led all safeties in the NFL in Picks. In fact he was 3rd among all DBs.  My point is in 3 years, he had 2 all pro and 2 pro bowl seasons. Last year he did not play at an all pro level, but was still very good. The hate makes zero since to me.

I guess it’s because I don’t care what people say on Twitter, how they dance on Tick Tock or who is dating Selina Gomez. I just care about winning. 

6 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I believe he was second only to Bolton in solo tackles. Led the team in picks. His numbers are very good and had few missed tackles that I remember, but I can’t find team stats for that. 

In 2020, he led all safeties in the NFL in Picks. In fact he was 3rd among all DBs.  My point is in 3 years, he had 2 all pro and 2 pro bowl seasons. Last year he did not play at an all pro level, but was still very good. The hate makes zero since to me.

I guess it’s because I don’t care what people say on Twitter, how they dance on Tick Tock or who is dating Selina Gomez. I just care about winning. 

No hate from me.  Like Clark, HB was a reason the Chiefs won a SB.  But like Clark, his value is less than he would cost.  I think his play was good, but in decline for whatever reason.  Age, unhappy with situation, or maybe hurting a bit?  If the Chiefs are to stay at or near the top, they have to renew and refresh.  More speed, more attitude, and players on the rise are critical.  Managing the cap is just as critical.  So bye bye Hill, Ward, and HB.  When it's time for Chris jones to move on, I won't hate him but will accept that teams that refuse to move on from their established vets at the proper time are doomed to decline.