2 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

Anyone know what this means?

"That means the Chiefs are offering Ingram a one-year contract worth $4.4 million, which is 110 percent of his 2021 pay. Ingram can sign that contract any time he wants and remain with the Chiefs for 2022.

Ingram can also continue to shop himself to other teams in free agency, but there’s now a July 22 deadline. If he hasn’t signed with another team by July 22, he has to stay with the Chiefs.

And if Ingram does sign with another team, the Chiefs would be eligible to get a compensatory draft pick for his departure, even though the deadline for compensatory picks passed today."

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

Wonder why more teams don’t do that with FAs that want to test the market. Seems like a win win.

Well, the Chiefs are on the hook for $4.4 million for a player that apparently didn't get a better offer.  We assumed all along that Ingram would be back and I think the Chiefs drafted with that assumption.  Now if they could just find a pass rushing DT, it would make a great off season.  Third down D-line:  Ingram, Karlaftis, Jones, Clark with Chenal poised to blitz through the A gap.  Love it. 

I was talking to my boss about this, and he thinks that it’s like a gentleman‘s agreement, with just a little bit more legality. I heard rumors that Ingram wanted to stay with Kansas City, but didn’t want to mess with the off-season stuff. This gets him his way, and now he doesn’t have to worry about the Chiefs going back on their word. And if he happens to find an offer he can’t turn down, the Chiefs at least get something out of it. Really does feel like a win-win

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Well, the Chiefs are on the hook for $4.4 million for a player that apparently didn't get a better offer.  We assumed all along that Ingram would be back and I think the Chiefs drafted with that assumption.  Now if they could just find a pass rushing DT, it would make a great off season.  Third down D-line:  Ingram, Karlaftis, Jones, Clark with Chenal poised to blitz through the A gap.  Love it. 

What are you talking about? This isn't binding for almost 3 months. The dude is a free agent. 

39 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What are you talking about? This isn't binding for almost 3 months. The dude is a free agent. 

The Chiefs have to sign him for $4.4 million unless some other team picks him up for more.  Since none have up until now, it probably won't happen unless some team suffers a freak number of injuries before 7/22 (not likely).  So there's a 99% chance Ingram is a Chief this fall.  Probably the plan all along.  It's a plus for the D-line and why the Chiefs didn't double at DE in the draft.  Do any of you cap experts know where the Chiefs stand after Ingram and Lonnie plus the draft?

10 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

If I’m reading this right this could piss him off, stops him from cutting off time from camp with us or another team.

Not sure, that's quite a while from now and I think that's basically when he would need to join camp already to get up to playing shape by the season. Normally I would expect any FA to be signed by then and the price likely won't go up right before the season with most cap spaces somewhat drained. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Sign me up for that every day. Same if we did it for Ward. There is no down side. 

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

Sign me up for that every day. Same if we did it for Ward. There is no down side. 

The downside is that the 33 year old who has 2 sacks in his last 22 games played starts playing like a 33 year old who has 2 sacks in his last 22 games played.

He invigorated our defense and played well for us. But this is not a game changer or even a needle mover. Our defense just happened to be THAT bad when Veach traded for him.

I love this draft, and the direction we're going. But our defensive line still sucks. And we're still gonna struggle getting pressure with our front 4 this year.

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The downside is that the 33 year old who has 2 sacks in his last 22 games played starts playing like a 33 year old who has 2 sacks in his last 22 games played.

He invigorated our defense and played well for us. But this is not a game changer or even a needle mover. Our defense just happened to be THAT bad when Veach traded for him.

I love this draft, and the direction we're going. But our defensive line still sucks. And we're still gonna struggle getting pressure with our front 4 this year.

Patience.. repeat after me . In Veach I trust!  Long time between now and opening day

38 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I mean, we were 5th in pressure rate in the NFL.  Sure we need to do better and also convert to sacks better but when Ingram came on the pressure rate went up.  

Pressure is cumulative so the more guys you have that can get pressures the harder u make life on the opposing QB.  Ingram is just part of the equation but he definitely helped.  

Just now, xen said:

I mean, we were 5th in pressure rate in the NFL.  Sure we need to do better and also convert to sacks better but when Ingram came on the pressure rate went up.  

Pressure is cumulative so the more guys you have that can get pressures the harder u make life on the opposing QB.  Ingram is just part of the equation but he definitely helped.  

Yeah well Chris Jones not converting pressure to sacks cost us big time in the Cincy game. We have to get the QB on the ground or force more errant throws.

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah well Chris Jones not converting pressure to sacks cost us big time in the Cincy game. We have to get the QB on the ground or force more errant throws.

Im with House on this. We may have been 5th in pressures, but we were close to LAST in sacks. And all we did was add one rookie DE to the line??? I like the DB's and even the LB's now, but you gotta get pressure on the qb to be successful. It doesn't matter how good your secondary is, they can't cover forever. 

I'm thinking Veech and co. have a plan for the season. I really can't see them rolling into the season with the current Dline..but who knows...

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Obviously you have to decide that you want the player for that price before you do it. I don’t think he is more than a rotational guy, but we need some depth there. I would throw him 4 mill.

44 minutes ago, artsy said:

Im with House on this. We may have been 5th in pressures, but we were close to LAST in sacks. And all we did was add one rookie DE to the line??? I like the DB's and even the LB's now, but you gotta get pressure on the qb to be successful. It doesn't matter how good your secondary is, they can't cover forever. 

I'm thinking Veech and co. have a plan for the season. I really can't see them rolling into the season with the current Dline..but who knows...

It seems like this has been the theme for most the off season concerning the Dline that Veach has a  plan.  Outside adding Ingram or even Clowney i think this is it or maybe a training camp cut.  I'm guessing the value wasn't there on some of their picks and he wasn't going to reach to fill a need that's how you ending up getting a guy like Hardman and anybody willing to deal a DT or an Edge wanted to much and that's how you end up with Frank Clark.  He wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.  

Maybe if the back 7 is improved just a hair and they can get the QB to hold on to the ball maybe an extra half a second some of those pressures turn into sacks.  That's my hope anyway cause i  dont believe the front 4 is going to get it done.  

MELVIN INGRAMDL, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
Melvin Ingram

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said "If it's something that makes sense, we'd definitely want him back," when asked about free agent EDGE Melvin Ingram.

Ingram's free agency stalled out after he took a visit to Miami, and the Chiefs applied the UFA tender to him yesterday, meaning he'll still count against compensatory pick formulas. It seems likely that Kansas City will bring Ingram back at this point, but it's possible that Ingram is simply waiting the market out ala Tyrann Mathieu. 

We will get Ingram. Let Clark prove he can rush from the left side, if not put GK there. Ingram and Clark need to be fresh for the playoffs too. I bet we get a TC cut at DE and DT still. I would not put it past Veach to make a dline trade too. Just have to let some if these scenarios play out.

The Dline isn’t much improved unless Karlaftis is a revelation, but what we did in the secondary and at LB cannot be overlooked.  How many sacks were missed by .5 seconds because the LBs or Secondary wasn’t athletic enough to stick with their man for just a tick longer.  I think we will be closer to the middle of the pack which overall will be an improvement.