3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The downside is that the 33 year old who has 2 sacks in his last 22 games played starts playing like a 33 year old who has 2 sacks in his last 22 games played.

He invigorated our defense and played well for us. But this is not a game changer or even a needle mover. Our defense just happened to be THAT bad when Veach traded for him.

I love this draft, and the direction we're going. But our defensive line still sucks. And we're still gonna struggle getting pressure with our front 4 this year.

So its kind of cool how this football thing works....  then you make massive upgrades to your Secondary, they lock down the receivers, preventing the QB from throwing the ball.  When the QB holds on to the ball, it gives more opportunity for the Dline to break down the oline and get to the QB.  

Its the reverse of a team with a good DLINE but no secondary blitzing like crazy, forcing the QB to throw when players don't have time to get open.

Its called football strategy.  And it actually works.  You use a strength to cover a weakness, because its impossible in a salary cap environment to have every single position be good.  

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

The Dline isn’t much improved unless Karlaftis is a revelation, but what we did in the secondary and at LB cannot be overlooked.  How many sacks were missed by .5 seconds because the LBs or Secondary wasn’t athletic enough to stick with their man for just a tick longer.  I think we will be closer to the middle of the pack which overall will be an improvement.  

EXACTLY!!!

21 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

So its kind of cool how this football thing works....  then you make massive upgrades to your Secondary, they lock down the receivers, preventing the QB from throwing the ball.  When the QB holds on to the ball, it gives more opportunity for the Dline to break down the oline and get to the QB.  

Its the reverse of a team with a good DLINE but no secondary blitzing like crazy, forcing the QB to throw when players don't have time to get open.

Its called football strategy.  And it actually works.  You use a strength to cover a weakness, because its impossible in a salary cap environment to have every single position be good.  

I think having a secondary to hold up a bit longer is better than a d line that can get their first. Why? Because we have seen when our rush gets there and the opposing offense then just runs shorter routes or throws a 3 step quick pass etc. Brady carves up teams doing this.

I also know the other way that a d line can carry the secondary by getting there faster too. So what I think we did was get the secondary up to speed for the WRs we will face and improve our de depth and talent. Also I think we do go after a DT and another DE down the line. If you look at the picks, the best value was secondary a lot of times with us picking as DE already had a huge run on that position.

Just my thoughts.

On Tuesday, Veach described how the Chiefs came to the decision to use the UFA tag.

“Well that’s something our cap guys — (vice presidents of football operations) Brandt Tillis and Chris Shea — do a good job of,” said Veach. “It was an idea or concept we talked about maybe a week or two before the draft just as a possibility. And then we decided to do that.

“As far as where he stands, it’s always a little bit different and unique with these veteran guys. Melvin’s a guy that he’s played a lot of football, he’s accomplished a lot and I don’t think he’s in a rush. We knew that when the free agency period started — that he wouldn’t be in a rush. He would take his time.”

To this point in the offseason, Ingram’s only visit has been to the Miami Dolphins. As the Chiefs seemed to expect, the visit did not lead to an agreement.

“If it made sense for him, he would do something,” said Veach. “We’ve been in contact with his agent. If there was something that made sense for us, we would definitely want him back. I think what this UFA tender does is it allows us the ability to communicate and not have either him or his agent without us being in the mix — and I think that’s what we want to do.

“We don’t know where this is going to go. I can say that we would love to have him back, and it would make sense for us, but regardless, it at least allows us a chance to have a dialogue with them before they decide to do anything —if they decide to do something somewhere else.”

KINGSLEY KEKEDL, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
Kingsley Keke

Texans waived DL Kingsley Keke.

Keke was claimed off waivers from the Packers in the offseason, but Houston's recent signings of Rasheem Green and Mario Addison appear to have pushed him off the roster. Keke has shown some pass-rush capability in limited snaps in 2021 and 2020, so he may be claimed again. The Texans also waived OL Sam Cooper

Just now, AFCWEST said:
KINGSLEY KEKEDL, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
Kingsley Keke

Texans waived DL Kingsley Keke.

Keke was claimed off waivers from the Packers in the offseason, but Houston's recent signings of Rasheem Green and Mario Addison appear to have pushed him off the roster. Keke has shown some pass-rush capability in limited snaps in 2021 and 2020, so he may be claimed again. The Texans also waived OL Sam Cooper

Kick all tires they can. Don't know about this guy at all though.

5 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Shocked Cosmo Kramer GIF

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

The Dline isn’t much improved unless Karlaftis is a revelation, but what we did in the secondary and at LB cannot be overlooked.  How many sacks were missed by .5 seconds because the LBs or Secondary wasn’t athletic enough to stick with their man for just a tick longer.  I think we will be closer to the middle of the pack which overall will be an improvement.  

Agreed. As much as the Dline was an issue, the LB's have been an issue - at times - for awhile also. It's hard to get it all in one draft. The run defense is what always bothered me, and it always seemed like if teams stuck to running the ball they could really hurt the Chiefs, even in the SB year. 

On 5/2/2022 at 7:36 PM, jetlord said:

Well, the Chiefs are on the hook for $4.4 million for a player that apparently didn't get a better offer.  We assumed all along that Ingram would be back and I think the Chiefs drafted with that assumption.  Now if they could just find a pass rushing DT, it would make a great off season.  Third down D-line:  Ingram, Karlaftis, Jones, Clark with Chenal poised to blitz through the A gap.  Love it. 

Getting Ingram back for a year would go a long way toward limiting what Russell Wilson could do against us.  So will McDuffie, Cook, Reid, etc. So will not having Sorenson LOL.  Right now, it looks like Veach did the right things to limit Wilson and Herbert and Carr/Adams. We all knew that better D was the answer to improved O in our AFC West rivals, at least partially.  Even if all that Veach just did hadn't happened, our LB's are becoming a dominant unit.