Chiefs trade for another safety

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Wasn't Lonnie Johnson a tall DB.....also didn't Kelce snatch his soul on multiple occasions.  Maybe I have this guy confused.

Yeah that's the guy.  He did have the fumble return for a TD in that game as well.

Lonnie wanted out of Houston because they played him at SS and he wats to be a CB.  If he has talent there, it could be goodbye to Fenton.  Sneed, McDuffie, Williams, and Johnson plus a few ST/backups.  Either way, it's more competition and that's a good thing.  No one can accuse Veach of ignoring the CB position after the past four days. 

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Lonnie wanted out of Houston because they played him at SS and he wats to be a CB.  If he has talent there, it could be goodbye to Fenton.  Sneed, McDuffie, Williams, and Johnson plus a few ST/backups.  Either way, it's more competition and that's a good thing.  No one can accuse Veach of ignoring the CB position after the past four days. 

Why would we get rid of Fenton.  He's a decent to good corner.  

1 minute ago, xen said:

Why would we get rid of Fenton.  He's a decent to good corner.  

JMO, but he's reached his peak and McDuffie, Sneed, and maybe Williams are better.  Lonnie has more potential than Fenton.  I like Fenton, but he's average at best and has the skills of a sixth rounder.  He didn't improve last season in my judgement.  TC could change all that if some of the new guys don't measure up, but right now I think Fenton could be #5 on the CB chart. 

Just now, jetlord said:

JMO, but he's reached his peak and McDuffie, Sneed, and maybe Williams are better.  Lonnie has more potential than Fenton.  I like Fenton, but he's average at best and has the skills of a sixth rounder.  He didn't improve last season in my judgement.  TC could change all that if some of the new guys don't measure up, but right now I think Fenton could be #5 on the CB chart. 

What's wrong with having an above replacement level player as your 5th corner making 2.5m?

Just now, xen said:

What's wrong with having an above replacement level player as your 5th corner making 2.5m?

Good question, but do the Chiefs need 5 CBs?  Is Baker cheaper or some of the other backups?  As I posted, it will all be ironed out in TC but if Fenton has any trade value, I would check it out. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Fenton has been very good. Johnson has not been very good. Some of that is the Texans issues. Johnson may be a good back up  and he may not even make the team. Good trade with no real downside.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Good question, but do the Chiefs need 5 CBs?  Is Baker cheaper or some of the other backups?  As I posted, it will all be ironed out in TC but if Fenton has any trade value, I would check it out. 

Baker has not shown much either. At this point there is no such thing as too many. Get through camp. See who is still healthy. Todays deep position is one key injury, or police report, from not deep. Depth is a good thing.