Chiefs trade for another safety

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

JMO, but he's reached his peak and McDuffie, Sneed, and maybe Williams are better.  Lonnie has more potential than Fenton.  I like Fenton, but he's average at best and has the skills of a sixth rounder.  He didn't improve last season in my judgement.  TC could change all that if some of the new guys don't measure up, but right now I think Fenton could be #5 on the CB chart. 

Fenton vastly improved last year. There were 2 weeks where he had the highest grade of any CB in the league. Career year for him. I do think he does come back down to earth and Snead recovers from that little bit of that 2nd year slump. We should see Snead far better than Fenton this year IMO. But Fenton is a legit starter and doesn't resemble a 6th rounder to me.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Fenton vastly improved last year. There were 2 weeks where he had the highest grade of any CB in the league. Career year for him. I do think he does come back down to earth and Snead recovers from that little bit of that 2nd year slump. We should see Snead far better than Fenton this year IMO. But Fenton is a legit starter and doesn't resemble a 6th rounder to me.

Yeah, I don't know how people can say that he has peaked and showed no improvement last year.  I thought he played well and has shown improvement each year.  

Johnson aint' pushing him.  It will be Sneed, McDuffie, Fenton, Watson, and Williams.  johnson, Bootle and Baker can fight it out for a 6th spot if they keep one.

Watson is the one to watch.  I think he was a steal in round 7.  

The secondary is loaded.  Camp should be fun.

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

Yeah, I don't know how people can say that he has peaked and showed no improvement last year.  I thought he played well and has shown improvement each year.  

Johnson aint' pushing him.  It will be Sneed, McDuffie, Fenton, Watson, and Williams.  johnson, Bootle and Baker can fight it out for a 6th spot if they keep one.

Watson is the one to watch.  I think he was a steal in round 7.  

The secondary is loaded.  Camp should be fun.

I didn't watch much of Watson but I love seen in several places now that he should have gone much earlier.  If he can even be what Fenton is that's a win, cause Fenton does not play like a 6th round pick.

I'm excited to see what Willams can do as well.  He will likely need some time considering the jump in competition but he has serious potential.

7 minutes ago, xen said:

I didn't watch much of Watson but I love seen in several places now that he should have gone much earlier.  If he can even be what Fenton is that's a win, cause Fenton does not play like a 6th round pick.

I'm excited to see what Willams can do as well.  He will likely need some time considering the jump in competition but he has serious potential.

I hope one those rookie DB's can beat Fenton out...Fenton is a Dime, 3rd4th CB at best.  Doesn't have upper end speed, uses his hands way too much, doesn't turn his damn head around, etc. Reminds me of Steve Nelson. 

The draft saw Veach acquire five defensive backs (including a first-round corner) — and on Monday, he traded for now-former Houston Texans cornerback Lonnie Johnson. All six defensive backs will be competing for various roles on the Chiefs’ 2022 roster.

As far as returning players go, fourth-year cornerback (and former sixth-round pick) Rashad Fenton saw a breakout in 2021. Pro Football Focus has noted Fenton’s 86.3 career coverage grade ranks fourth in the league since 2019, trailing only Jaire Alexander, Jalen Ramsey and Jamel Dean.

“Fenton’s a guy that obviously we’re high on and we’re very confident in,” said Veach, before revealing that the cornerback is on the mend. “He’s going through a little bit of a rehab now, so hopefully we get him for the start of training camp.”

A back injury held Fenton out of the Wild Card and Divisional round playoff games last year, but Veach said Fenton’s correction is on his shoulder.

“I’m sure (vice president of sports medicine and performance) Rick [Burkholder] will talk about that either after OTAs or before,” said Veach. “It’s something that I think he’ll be ready for training camp. We certainly want to get some guys out here and be ready to roll and be in a position to kind of know what we have.”

Giants GM Joe Schoen said the team will have a resolution on CB James Bradberry by the end of the week.

This almost certainly means the Giants are cutting Bradberry. The veteran corner has been the subject of trade rumors throughout the offseason, but it has become clear to Schoen that there are no takers. New York will save $10.1 million in cap space if they ultimately cut him at the end of the week. The decision to move on from Bradberry is a financial one, as he was still playing at a high level in 2021. Bradberry logged 17 pass defenses and four interceptions last season. 

50 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Giants GM Joe Schoen said the team will have a resolution on CB James Bradberry by the end of the week.

This almost certainly means the Giants are cutting Bradberry. The veteran corner has been the subject of trade rumors throughout the offseason, but it has become clear to Schoen that there are no takers. New York will save $10.1 million in cap space if they ultimately cut him at the end of the week. The decision to move on from Bradberry is a financial one, as he was still playing at a high level in 2021. Bradberry logged 17 pass defenses and four interceptions last season. 

Let me guess. To the AFC West. Mahomes effect.

16 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I was thinking the same thing. Another AFC West team signs him. Hope not. 

I think an AFC West team will sign him. Us. I think if he bumped Lonnie Johnson, DeAndre Baker, or Watson off the roster, there probably won't be too many tears.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:56 PM, xen said:

You might remember him as the safety Kelce abused in the playoff comeback over the texans.

Hahaha.  Of course, Kelce has been abusing everyone for a long time.  There aren't many Kelce's around.  Anyway, I'm guessing he is planned to be a special teamer for the most part.

52 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think an AFC West team will sign him. Us. I think if he bumped Lonnie Johnson, DeAndre Baker, or Watson off the roster, there probably won't be too many tears.

He might be better than what the Chiefs have on the roster now, but is it worth the cap space?  Better to use the money on a DT or DE at this point.  The needs of the secondary are , well, secondary. 

CB Competition at camp is going to be fantastic when coupled with the WR Competition....think about all the "must win" battles that will happen in those 7-7 drills.

This team is deep.

w

1 minute ago, West said:

CB Competition at camp is going to be fantastic when coupled with the WR Competition....think about all the "must win" battles that will happen in those 7-7 drills.

This team is deep.

w

I like deep.  Except of course, with regard to shit.

3 minutes ago, West said:

This team is deep.

w

The number of receivers on the roster is crazy.  Hardman, JuJu, MVS, and Moore are locks, but after that are about a dozen scrambling for the fifth and maybe sixth spots.  They better bring some special teams skills or update their resumes. 

On 5/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, jetlord said:

JMO, but he's reached his peak and McDuffie, Sneed, and maybe Williams are better.  Lonnie has more potential than Fenton.  I like Fenton, but he's average at best and has the skills of a sixth rounder.  He didn't improve last season in my judgement.  TC could change all that if some of the new guys don't measure up, but right now I think Fenton could be #5 on the CB chart. 

I have a hard time believing a 25 year old has peaked. 

Giants released CB James Bradberry.

Bradberry has been oft-rumored to be traded this offseason, including "imminently" at times, but a fit couldn't be found with his contract. The Chiefs, Colts, and Texans were all linked to him at one time or another, but all have since signed other corners and/or drafted corners in the first round. Bradberry turns 29 in August but is coming off a solid season and is a candidate to get a real contract even despite the late release. His former DC in New York, Patrick Graham, now runs the Vegas defense. The Giants will free up $10.1 million in cap space to allow them to sign their rookie class.

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

could be wrong but pretty sure that ship has sailed in regards to any interest the Chiefs might of had he's gonna want paid still

He might just get a prove it 1 year deal now. How many teams have cap space left that would or could sign him?

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He might just get a prove it 1 year deal now. How many teams have cap space left that would or could sign him?

I think I heard several teams were deep in negotiations with him, but couldn’t satisfy he contract parameters. I don’t think he’s likely to accept a one year prove it deal. Now that draft capital is off the table those teams/team may be more willing to sign a longer terms deal. Maybe not. What the hell do I know. I don’t see the fit anymore post draft. 

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Chiefs have Sneed, McDuffie, and Fenton.  They traded for Johnson, drafted Williams, and another seventh rounder.  They have Baker and an UDFA.  Why would they use their last $10 million on Bradberry?  Doesn't make sense with all the other needs remaining. 

I can see him becoming a Chief only for a modest 1-year deal which he probably won't have to look for. So it's an extremely slim chance that doesn't really make sense for him unless he thinks he can get a shutout corner money in FA after a single season which is very unlikely.