Dorsey at the Forefront.....

By Kevin Clark  Wall Street Journal

In the time that it takes to read this sentence, the Kansas City Chiefs can maul you.

If you are looking for a reason why Kansas City crushed the New England Patriots Monday night, looking like a Super Bowl contender in the process, it starts with the Chiefs quietly emphasizing the first half-second of a given play—the so-called first step—and building their team around it. And that all starts with fixating on a physical attribute that has long been more associated with basketball: long arms.

Here is how it happened: John Dorsey, the Chiefs' second-year general manager, is known for being a measurement wonk. The Chiefs' owner, Clark Hunt, jokes that when Dorsey talks, he is prone to randomly mentioning the hand sizes of prospects. Dorsey said that while studying league trends, he began to realize that the trademark of the new NFL, in which quarterbacks are so smart and mechanically sound, is that passes come out of the quarterback's hand faster than ever.

This discovery made him realize that something had to change with how you construct your team—both offensively and defensively. "Because quarterbacks get rid of the ball so quickly now, everyone has to get off the ball quick," Dorsey said. "So that initial explosion is very important to us."

The solution? Long-armed offensive linemen who can give today's quarterback the 2½ seconds he needs to throw—and defensive linemen with powerful lower bodies who can get to the opposing passer before then.

The strategy is working. After starting 0-2, Kansas City has won its last two, including a stunning 41-14 dismantling of Tom Brady and the Patriots on Monday. The Chiefs are tied for the second-most sacks in the NFL, behind the New York Jets. And despite a patchwork offensive line, Kansas City has the league's fourth-best running game.

The "first step" has become crucial in football because quarterbacks are getting rid of the ball faster than ever. This season, 15 quarterbacks have taken 2.7 seconds, on average, to throw. That is far more quick-throwing quarterbacks than any season since Pro Football Focus began collecting the data four seasons ago.

In that brief moment after the snap, two things are vital. If an offensive lineman has long arms, he can simply keep the defender at bay for the time the quarterback needs. Scouts say that around 33 inches is the acceptable length for an offensive tackle.

The Chiefs' tackles meet that and then some. Eric Fisher, the once-obscure Central Michigan lineman who became the No. 1 pick in last year's draft, has 34½-inch arms. Another starting tackle, Donald Stephenson, who returns from a four-game performance-enhancing drug suspension this week, carries 34-7/8 inch arms.

"Length has always been huge, but when you pay attention to the way offense has evolved, with offensive linemen, you are darn right you have to have arm length," Dorsey said.

On the other side of the ball, the Chiefs demand that prospects have the overarching trait of "explosiveness." That is determined at the league's annual combine, where prospects are measured and evaluated, and through game film.

Dorsey refused to say what his exact formula is for determining who can explode after the snap, but scouts say that it is a mixture of broad jump, vertical jump, "three-cone" drill—an agility test—and bench-press workouts. The Chiefs used their first-round pick this year on Auburn pass rusher Dee Ford, who produced eye-popping numbers while working out for teams before the draft. Had he worked out at the combine, he would have been second among defensive linemen in the broad jump (10 feet 4 inches) and third in the three-cone drill.

Dorsey said that he evaluates linemen on both sides of the ball with a clear plan in mind. After figuring out how to quantify explosion, he studies 20 years worth of explosive players at the same position. "Once you understand those basic measurements of explosion, what you can do is go back and look at correlation with the data you have at hand," he said.

Alongside Ford on the defensive line is Dontari Poe, who was drafted by Dorsey's predecessor, Scott Pioli. Poe produced one of the all-time combine performances two years ago, running a 40-yard dash in under five seconds at 346 pounds and bench-pressing 225 pounds 44 times, the most in the last three years. "That's not a trend; that's a rare guy," Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. "That type of explosion—as [former Texas coach] Mack Brown said, his body was kissed by the sun."

The result: an explosive defensive line that wins the first step. Combine that with a solid, long-armed offensive line, and the Chiefs have the edge in the trenches every game.

Kansas City is at the forefront of a leaguewide focus on length, although not all teams have been successful. Offensive-line guru Tony Sparano, who on Tuesday was named the Oakland Raiders' interim head coach, said that the mechanics of the first step have changed dramatically over the last decade, as players have gotten bigger and quicker.

"There has to be more urgency in the first step," he said. He added that there has been a new emphasis on posture to maximize arm length. "What's important is, if a player stands up and gets out of his stance and his back is round, his 35-inch arms aren't playing at 35 inches," Sparano said. "The days of finding these short-arm linemen are [over]. It is not a redeeming quality."

West I truly hope that is the case. 

But look back to the SD game from last year and fast forward to now.

Was that game really the anomaly some would want you to think?

You are hearing Reid and lots of the players saying next man up.  It really isn't looking like just team speak they are living it.  What they are doing with the injuries/loses, in key starting positions, is pretty amazing.   So 1 of 2 things are happening or both.  The front office knows what the hell it's doing and filling teh backend with good talent or the coaching is that damn good. 

I like to think it is both!!  If its is, this team could be in for one hell of a fun ride.

Great read, thanks.  I enjoy hearing his philosophy and it makes sense.

It's a bit premature to call KC a super bowl contender yet after defeating two floundering franchises, but there is reason for hope

Great read, thanks. I enjoy hearing his philosophy and it makes sense.

It's a bit premature to call KC a super bowl contender yet after defeating two floundering franchises, but there is reason for hope

The Chiefs will never win a game where someone won't have an excuse. They could beat Denver in Denver to go to the SB and people would make excuses for why they won. So if KC wins this week the excuse will probably be, SF is dysfunctional and in disarray do to strive in the locker room. If they beat SD we'll hear how Rivers is inconsistent and was due for a bad game. The shit never ends.

The Chiefs will never win a game where someone won't have an excuse. They could beat Denver in Denver to go to the SB and people would make excuses for why they won. So if KC wins this week the excuse will probably be, SF is dysfunctional and in disarray do to strive in the locker room. If they beat SD we'll hear how Rivers is inconsistent and was due for a bad game. The shit never ends.

Your right.  We should all just walk around giddy like we defeated the undefeated Pats of old.  Get your Super Bowl tickets now.

The same people jumping up and down today were ready to jump off of a bridge week 1.  We don't know anything yet.  We're at the quarter pole of a marathon.

Last year we were goofy after beating DAL & NYG at the time.  As it turned out it meant squat.

All I'm saying is stay cool.  I did say there was reason to be hopeful.  Of course because I didn't declare KC Super Bowl caliber you didn't care about the rest.

BTW:  They aren't excuses.  They're an explanation.  The Chiefs did what good teams should do to floundering franchises -- kicked their ass.

How many people thought the Chiefs were a good team after the preseason?

Super Bowl teams win games like this Sunday's.  We'll see.  

There is reason for hope!

"How many people thought the Chiefs were a good team after the preseason?"

I did, but I have a different definition/opinion on what a good team is. My scale is lenient. Of course, that makes other teams, "good," too, so relatively speaking it's ok as long as I have the better teams ahead of us.

Great read, thanks.  I enjoy hearing his philosophy and it makes sense.

"looking like a Super Bowl contender in the process"

is not calling them a SB contender.. just being negative for the sake of it Mongo? the way they spanked NE an uneducated person would think that the Chiefs at that moment in time had to be one of the premier teams in the NFL. Until they watched the NFLN or ESPN then they would realize the Chiefs just beat up on a broken down elderly team who's dominance is waning.

You shut them up by continuing to win.

"looking like a Super Bowl contender in the process"

is not calling them a SB contender.. just being negative for the sake of it Mongo? the way they spanked NE an uneducated person would think that the Chiefs at that moment in time had to be one of the premier teams in the NFL. Until they watched the NFLN or ESPN then they would realize the Chiefs just beat up on a broken down elderly team who's dominance is waning.

Reread the whole thread, please.  No negativity involved.

"How many people thought the Chiefs were a good team after the preseason?"

I did, but I have a different definition/opinion on what a good team is. My scale is lenient. Of course, that makes other teams, "good," too, so relatively speaking it's ok as long as I have the better teams ahead of us.

Most predictions I saw were 5-7 wins.  That is not a good team.  After the first loss, many were predicting top 5 draft status.

A good team wins 10 games or more.  The Chiefs look like a good team right now, maybe better.  Let's see.  Let's not get crazy yet.

Your right. We should all just walk around giddy like we defeated the undefeated Pats of old. Get your Super Bowl tickets now.

The same people jumping up and down today were ready to jump off of a bridge week 1. We don't know anything yet. We're at the quarter pole of a marathon.

Last year we were goofy after beating DAL & NYG at the time. As it turned out it meant squat.

All I'm saying is stay cool. I did say there was reason to be hopeful. Of course because I didn't declare KC Super Bowl caliber you didn't care about the rest.

Like everyone else in here, I never said they were going to the SB. The thing is they were a bad call away from beating Denver in Denver and that was after the Chiefs lost Jamal early on. Had KC played Denver instead of NE they would have beaten them as well. With the exception of what I believe was an overlooked Titans team. The Chiefs have played very good for a team that had roughly 7 starters out intwo of the first three games.

I dont believe in walking around in wonderland but I also don't believe in walking around like Bad Luck Shleprock and his doom and gloom cloud all the time. Wowsey wowsey woo woo we're all doomed.????

Like everyone else in here, I never said they were going to the SB. The thing is they were a bad call away from beating Denver in Denver and that was after the Chiefs lost Jamal early on. Had KC played Denver instead of NE they would have beaten them as well. With the exception of what I believe was an overlooked Titans team. The Chiefs have played very good for a team that had roughly 7 starters out intwo of the first three games.

I dont believe in walking around in wonderland but I also don't believe in walking around like Bad Luck Shleprock and his doom and gloom cloud all the time. Wowsey wowsey woo woo we're all doomed.

Reread my comments and try to comprehend them.  I can help with big words, if necessary.  No gloom and doom.  No Shleprock (nice reference though!).  

I'm optimistic about the team right now and my comments reflect that.  

Reread my comments and try to comprehend them. I can help with big words, if necessary. No gloom and doom. No Shleprock (nice reference though!).

I'm optimistic about the team right now and my comments reflect that.

Yep typical Mongo response. Attack the the poster and try to make himself look better than everyone else. A sad way to go through life. Thank God I'm not that shallow or insecure. I know, now you will tell us how secure, happy, and so much smarter you are than me and or everyone else in here.

Yep typical Mongo response. Attack the the poster and try to make himself look better than everyone else. A sad way to go through life. Thank God I'm not that shallow or insecure. I know, now you will tell us how secure, happy, and so much smarter you are than me and or everyone else in here.

How dare you call Mongo a protagonist?! :angry:  :lol:  

Reread the entire topic, carefully.  You picked the fight, not me.  Don't cry because I slapped back.

Archived