Ross and Kinnard look Pretty Good

24 minutes ago, robgar said:

skyy is good, but the this guy could be better. 

I hope so, that would make Ross one of the biggest steals of recent drafts and likely take WR off the list of high priorities for 2023. 

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

So you have him beating Gordon, Coleman, and Powell in the depth chart from day one? Great prospect prior to the injuries and still intriguing for 2023 and beyond but I think his best bet for this year is WR6 to begin with and a trip to the IR to protect him could be in the books as the staff focuses on getting Moore settled in the offense as a higher priority.  

#5 or #6 probably doesn't matter.  If Ross is healthy and shows anything, the Chiefs should activate him, get him at least a few plays, and let Coleman, Powell, Gordon, and Fountain fight it out for the other spot and play ST.  JMHO  Unless Ross is truly still recovering, he shouldn't be put on the IR.  He needs to get experience after so much time off. 

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

So you have him beating Gordon, Coleman, and Powell in the depth chart from day one? Great prospect prior to the injuries and still intriguing for 2023 and beyond but I think his best bet for this year is WR6 to begin with and a trip to the IR to protect him could be in the books as the staff focuses on getting Moore settled in the offense as a higher priority.  

Dupe

15 hours ago, jetlord said:

#5 or #6 probably doesn't matter.  If Ross is healthy and shows anything, the Chiefs should activate him, get him at least a few plays, and let Coleman, Powell, Gordon, and Fountain fight it out for the other spot and play ST.  JMHO  Unless Ross is truly still recovering, he shouldn't be put on the IR.  He needs to get experience after so much time off. 

I think his eventual place will determine that. Definitely the easiest way to protect but if the protected PS is still a thing he could land on that assuming he doesn't blow minds off during TC and is fully healthy. Chiefs have been using the IR card quite often with UDFAs that show some promise, wouldn't be surprised if they do it again but obviously if he's ready to play now that shouldn't be a worry. I can never trust the "rookies need to learn the complicated playbook" part of the Chiefs process. 

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

. I can never trust the "rookies need to learn the complicated playbook" part of the Chiefs process. 

That would be different for each rookie.  In Ross's case, assuming he is physically ready to go. he could be given a limited number of plays and slowly increase during the season or how ever he handles it.  We're talking about the #5 or #6 receiver.  Fifteen catches and 150 yards would be okay if it leads to learning and an increasing role as the season progresses.  He won't learn on IR and even the PS won't allow him to develop as well as some actual game experience.  This may all be for nothing.  31 other teams didn't think he was worth even a small risk.  They may be right but if Ross can get back his 2019 form, it's worth using a roster spot now for a future starter. 

29 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It think he will go on IR. Only room for one reclamation project on the active roster so he will have to beat out Gordon for that. Makes too much sense to get him a camp under his belt and then IR him. 

JMO but  I think Gordon  is highly sacrificial  now with Ross  looking like he just did in mini camp

25 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

JMO but  I think Gordon  is highly sacrificial  now with Ross  looking like he just did in mini camp

Gordon will have to look really good in TC to make the team.  He doesn't play special teams so has no edge over Ross in that category.  Powell and Fountain are the only other two in the competition so far.  Again ST may be a deciding factor.  The upside on Ross is so much that the Chiefs need to get him started without the red shirt year...Let the other WR spot play ST and bet on Ross being a factor by year's end or next season with a little live game time under his belt.  He's the only one on the roster with the potential to be a true #1.  Long odds, but worth the risk. 

27 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Gordon will have to look really good in TC to make the team.  He doesn't play special teams so has no edge over Ross in that category.  Powell and Fountain are the only other two in the competition so far.  Again ST may be a deciding factor.  The upside on Ross is so much that the Chiefs need to get him started without the red shirt year...Let the other WR spot play ST and bet on Ross being a factor by year's end or next season with a little live game time under his belt.  He's the only one on the roster with the potential to be a true #1.  Long odds, but worth the risk. 

Doubt you put a guy with a spinal injury on special teams unless returning kicks.. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

That would be different for each rookie.  In Ross's case, assuming he is physically ready to go. he could be given a limited number of plays and slowly increase during the season or how ever he handles it.  We're talking about the #5 or #6 receiver.  Fifteen catches and 150 yards would be okay if it leads to learning and an increasing role as the season progresses.  He won't learn on IR and even the PS won't allow him to develop as well as some actual game experience.  This may all be for nothing.  31 other teams didn't think he was worth even a small risk.  They may be right but if Ross can get back his 2019 form, it's worth using a roster spot now for a future starter. 

I think the issue is with the staff favoring useless vets that already know the playbook over youngsters that need to learn from scratch. Would be great if we get over that mindset. 

14 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Isn't is the same this time of the year every single season? Then we go back to known commodity :(

not this year Hardman's most favored status has never been  inked in so now there's only Kelce, he's the only "known Commodity" and he's getting old so touches probably need to be less if possible

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think the issue is with the staff favoring useless vets that already know the playbook over youngsters that need to learn from scratch. Would be great if we get over that mindset. 

The staff has historically favored vets for starting positions, but in the Ross case, we're talking #5 or #6.  If he shows anything, they'll keep him.  There's only four "vets" on the roster by my count. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

not this year Hardman's most favored status has never been  inked in so now there's only Kelce, he's the only "known Commodity" and he's getting old so touches probably need to be less if possible

Is Kelce really old?  TG and Kellen Winslow, for example were effective long past Kelce's age IIRC.   He might take less hits with more WR options instead of the defense focusing on only him and Hill.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

He is definitely on the hot seat. Ross is younger. I just don’t know if he’s ready.Ross is younger. I just don’t know if he’s ready.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I dont think Gordon is seriously in the mix. He had plenty of time to show something, anything last year.

They should know within the first week of TC if Gordon is a serious candidate for a roster spot.  He's had a year to get into playing shape and learn the Chiefs' system.  Ross needs more time for recovery and learning.  I'm still thinking that out of Powell, Fountain, Ross and Gordon, two make it and Ross could take one of the spots without much loss of one of the others. 

Swinney may have unintentionally broke a little news — the fact that only four teams in the NFL were comfortable enough for Ross to take the field. Still, the longtime Clemson coach is high on Ross, one of the key players in the 2018 national title win over Alabama.

“I mean he’s Justyn Ross,” Swinney added. “There’s no questions about Justyn Ross when it comes to playing football. But there’s obvious questions when it comes to, ‘OK, where is he health wise?’ He broke his foot. Obviously he missed all that time with surgical procedures in his neck and back area. He’ll do just fine. If the good lord keeps him healthy, football will come easy for him.”

The hope for the Chiefs echoes Swinney’s notion — that as Ross gets healthy, he may be able to turn back the clock to his freshman and sophomore seasons, when he combined for 112 catches for 1,865 yards and 17 touchdowns in 28 games.

At 6 feet 4 and 205 pounds, Ross certainly has the measurables. But he will need to show out in the offseason program and training camp, with a projected two receiver spots available on the Chiefs’ 53-man roster. Considering only four teams cleared him medically, it may be wise to temper expectations.

In Swinney’s mind, there is no doubt about Ross’ ceiling. He said that if the wideout stays healthy, he could be “the greatest free agent ever.”

On 5/9/2022 at 8:41 AM, West said:

Ross looks to be at full speed and if he can continue, he is a beast.

w

He is a beast.  But there is a reason the other 28 teams passed on him. This is a high stakes gamble, but a crapshoot nonetheless.  He is a beast with  two surgically fused neck vertebrae.  A hit that would be a neck stinger for one player could easily be lifetime quadripegia and being fed out of a tube for the rest of his life for Justyn Ross.  If he escapes that, the Chiefs would not be able to afford him in 3-4 years.  If he doesn't the Chiefs have more than egg on their face. They have a guy paralyzed from the neck down.  As they say on the TV show, "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

The Chiefs like to gamble on  players who are great but a health risk.  As much as we all love Trey Smith, he may have gotten those blood clots from an inherited tendency to clot, something called Anti-thrombin III deficiency.  In two or three years, as he gets a little older, he could throw another clot to his lungs and either die or have to leave football.  A gamble on having a championship level team at the risk of a gamble on players's lives is not exactly even-Steven.  There is a reason Smth fell to the 6th round.  I sure hope none of them have this happen. They are just kids. It's hard to remember that.  Kids feel like superman at that age. Nothing bad can happen them, right?