Miami signing Ingram?

6 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

Maybe Dunlap, but it would have to be an inexpensive or short term deal.  If the long term plan is to get younger and trade off expensive vets, then the Chiefs should make no long term deals with vets.  One has to wonder if Jones is here beyond this season.  No more Clark type contracts.

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe Dunlap, but it would have to be an inexpensive or short term deal.  If the long term plan is to get younger and trade off expensive vets, then the Chiefs should make no long term deals with vets.  One has to wonder if Jones is here beyond this season.  No more Clark type contracts.

EXACTLY 

2 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

Yeah, I can't see them giving a 32 y/o a three year contract.

I sure hope not. Let the young guys play. Team should get better as the season goes along. Just get in the playoffs. Wild card is fine. Once in anything can happen. 

3 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I sure hope not. Let the young guys play. Team should get better as the season goes along. Just get in the playoffs. Wild card is fine. Once in anything can happen. 

The Chiefs could be pretty solid except for D-line.  If bringing in a vet or two to beef up the line until the new talent arrives, then fine, but only as long as they don't lock themselves into multiyear deals at high cost.  So Dunlap or even a more expensive Clowney for a year might raise the playoff/SB odds for this year.  Paying like they did for Clark or Hitchens can cripple them long term. 

14 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

I like both Flowers and Dunlap on a 1-year deal. I'm guessing Flowers would love to come in to this setup and showcase himself for a long term deal before he hits 30 in 2023. 

The Dolphins officially signed veteran linebacker Melvin Ingram this week to a one-year contract that could be worth up to $5 million, according to ESPN’s Field Yates.

Ingram’s deal will count for a $3.92 million cap hit. He’ll $1.65 million in the form of a signing bonus, $1.67 million in base salary, $680,000 in per-game roster bonuses, $750,000 in playtime/sack/team defense incentives and $250,000 if he makes the Pro Bowl.

I believe after Chenal, the draft picks dont count on the cap until they make the 53 man roster. With this said, we had roughly 10.7 mil after signings and 4.4 mil then from Ingram gives us roughly 15.1 mil in cap space. Also what was nice about Ingram is at the time if the trade, it allowed us to move Jones back to DT. Ingram was good for that move alone, but I think we will do better with K at DE now and even better as the season goes along. Go grab another DT and/or DE from FA or cuts. 

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I believe after Chenal, the draft picks dont count on the cap until they make the 53 man roster. With this said, we had roughly 10.7 mil after signings and 4.4 mil then from Ingram gives us roughly 15.1 mil in cap space. Also what was nice about Ingram is at the time if the trade, it allowed us to move Jones back to DT. Ingram was good for that move alone, but I think we will do better with K at DE now and even better as the season goes along. Go grab another DT and/or DE from FA or cuts. 

Agree that the Chiefs need another DE and a pass rushing DT, but the pickings may be pretty slim.  Can Hennings or Kaindoh do anything?  That's the big question for TC this year along with how the rookies look. 

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree that the Chiefs need another DE and a pass rushing DT, but the pickings may be pretty slim.  Can Hennings or Kaindoh do anything?  That's the big question for TC this year along with how the rookies look. 

Yep. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

$12 mil in cap space (according to Spotrac), that's the top 51. I think the 51 count until August. 

Once the season starts, 53 players, practice squad players, players on IR, players on PUP salaries count against the cap.

11 hours ago, arrowhead said:

$12 mil in cap space (according to Spotrac), that's the top 51. I think the 51 count until August. 

Once the season starts, 53 players, practice squad players, players on IR, players on PUP salaries count against the cap.

It's top 51 throughout the offseason and top 53 once the season starts. The designation of the player (IR, PS, PUP, etc) is never taken into consideration.

21 hours ago, arrowhead said:

You are incorrect.

I have provided you with some reading material: NFL Salary Cap FAQs - Russell Street Report

Nope :) As it says in the link all players regardless of the designation count towards the salary cap with the exception of the exempt list. However only the top 53 contracts, not the 53-man roster, is taken into consideration to determine the team's standing in the salary cap.

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

Nope :) As it says in the link all players regardless of the designation count towards the salary cap with the exception of the exempt list. However only the top 53 contracts, not the 53-man roster, is taken into consideration to determine the team's standing in the salary cap.

Spotrac breaks down the 2021 salary cap for the chiefs.

Active Roster: 160,366,274 accounting for 85.11% of the cap

Injured Reserve: 5,448,435 accounting for 2.89% of the cap

Non-Football Injury: 586,666 accounting for .31% of the cap

Practice Squad; 920,000 accounting for .49% of the cap

Dead Cap: 17,790,771 accounting for 9.44% of the cap

There's some rollover cap and adjustments (not sure what that is). 

I read somewhere that practice squad salaries will no longer count against the cap.

Chiefs dead cap: 4 players account for nearly $8 million | Chiefs Wire

Gone are the days of paying for past contract sins for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Right now, the Chiefs rank near the top of the NFL in effective salary cap space, with $14,755,982 available per Over The Cap. One of the reasons that their cap space is in such a good spot is because they’re not paying out a ton of dead money to players who are no longer on the team. For instance, Kansas City stopped paying for the contract handed out to Eric Berry just last season.

The Chiefs actually rank seventh in the NFL with just over $7.9 million in dead cap space according to Over The Cap. Only six NFL teams have less dead cap owed than Kansas City. They’re paying dead money on just four contracts right now, though, that number could increase as we get closer to the season.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, arrowhead said:

Spotrac breaks down the 2021 salary cap for the chiefs.

Active Roster: 160,366,274 accounting for 85.11% of the cap

Injured Reserve: 5,448,435 accounting for 2.89% of the cap

Non-Football Injury: 586,666 accounting for .31% of the cap

Practice Squad; 920,000 accounting for .49% of the cap

Dead Cap: 17,790,771 accounting for 9.44% of the cap

There's some rollover cap and adjustments (not sure what that is). 

I read somewhere that practice squad salaries will no longer count against the cap.

Isn't that the added cap left from last season with the incentives earned at the end of the season deducted? 

18 hours ago, sith13 said:

Isn't that the added cap left from last season with the incentives earned at the end of the season deducted? 

yeah, earned incentives are deducted, not sure what the number is.

The 208,200,000 isn't a hard cap. The Jags have $25 mil+ of carryover down to $13,986 for the Giants. Helps explain how the Jags were able to spend so much on FA. 

Figuring out the spending and accounting is above my paygrade.

35 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

yeah, earned incentives are deducted, not sure what the number is.

The 208,200,000 isn't a hard cap. The Jags have $25 mil+ of carryover down to $13,986 for the Giants. Helps explain how the Jags were able to spend so much on FA. 

Figuring out the spending and accounting is above my paygrade.

It's beyond all of us. Even the GMs have experts on the payroll that focus on nothing but the cap. Too tricky to simplify I guess, similar to the comp. picks which seem to lack consistency. 

Nick Korte of Over The Cap has a fairly perfected formula for figuring out what picks each team will get and he has the Chiefs now down for two extra picks in 2023: one for Ingram to the Dolphins and another for the Jarran Reed signing to the Green Bay Packers. Yes, the Chiefs lost bigger free agents than that—including Charvarius Ward as one example—but they also signed solid players like safety Justin Reid.

Right now, here’s a look at the complete list of draft picks for the Chiefs in the 2023 NFL Draft:

1. First round
  2. Second round
  3. Third round
  4. Third round (comp, Ryan Poles)
  5. Fourth round
  6. Fourth round (trade, Tyreek Hill)
  7. Fifth round
  8. Sixth round
  9. Sixth round (trade, Tyreek Hill)
  10. Sixth round (comp, Melvin Ingram)
  11. Seventh round
  12. Seventh round (comp, Jarran Reed)