2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Not really

Those players will be invaluable imo if they get reps and coached up right.

It's not the number that make the 53, it's also the number that need to start or play significant roles.  If one considers 26 starters (22 plus extra CB, S, TE and WR) then we could see the first five draft picks plus Kinnard in the 26.  Add in RoJo, MVS, JuJu and Reid and that's a lot of new bodies to get coordinated.  Just mentally preparing myself for a slow start.  

48 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's not the number that make the 53, it's also the number that need to start or play significant roles.  If one considers 26 starters (22 plus extra CB, S, TE and WR) then we could see the first five draft picks plus Kinnard in the 26.  Add in RoJo, MVS, JuJu and Reid and that's a lot of new bodies to get coordinated.  Just mentally preparing myself for a slow start.  

I do agree we start slow.  I expect the defense won't come around until mid-season.  The offense hopefully earlier.  

3 minutes ago, xen said:

I do agree we start slow.  I expect the defense won't come around until mid-season.  The offense hopefully earlier.  

I feel the same. This is a brutal “fire Spags” stretch in the beginning that will look like 2-4 or 3-5,  it ends up 12-5 or 11-6 with a wild card spot. I think pass rush will tell the tale of this season.

3 hours ago, DieHard said:

I think pass rush will tell the tale of this season.

That's a scary thought.  Chiefs have to win in spite of the pass rush IMHO.  Maybe the new line coach can get something out of Saunders and Clark, but I'm not holding my breath.  Herring and Kaindoh had better add something as well. 

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

That's a scary thought.  Chiefs have to win in spite of the pass rush IMHO.  Maybe the new line coach can get something out of Saunders and Clark, but I'm not holding my breath.  Herring and Kaindoh had better add something as well. 

It is a scary thought. I think we will be a little more than around 31 or 32 like the lasts 2 years. Karl is a big upgrade over Okafor/Ingram. I think Chanel will be very productive blitzing. But we may have as many as 4 rooks starting on D and they will make rookie mistakes. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

It is a scary thought. I think we will be a little more than around 31 or 32 like the lasts 2 years. Karl is a big upgrade over Okafor/Ingram. I think Chanel will be very productive blitzing. But we may have as many as 4 rooks starting on D and they will make rookie mistakes. 

I do feel like an improved secondary will really help the rush.  QBs were getting off passes way too quickly last year.  You can see it in the stats as we had really good pressure rate but low sacks.

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

Wil Chenal even be in on third downs?  We have pretty high expectations for a rookie that hasn't even been to his first TC yet.  If he's on defense in passing situations, the offense can assume he's coming through the A gap unless he learns to go backward this summer.  Not sure if playing in the line is an option.  He's too light for Spags type DEs. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Wil Chenal even be in on third downs?  We have pretty high expectations for a rookie that hasn't even been to his first TC yet.  If he's on defense in passing situations, the offense can assume he's coming through the A gap unless he learns to go backward this summer.  Not sure if playing in the line is an option.  He's too light for Spags type DEs. 

If only Spags had experience utilizing an undersized pass rush package to great effect and riding it to a superbowl.  If he could manage to do that, it would be cool to name it after something fast like racecars.

Daytona package?

Or maybe the Indy 500 package?

Meh, both are too specific.

How about the Formula 1 package?  Nah too European.

Oh hey, the Nascar package.  Sounds good.  Ⓒ xen 2022.

18 minutes ago, xen said:

If only Spags had experience utilizing an undersized pass rush package to great effect and riding it to a superbowl.  If he could manage to do that, it would be cool to name it after something fast like racecars.

Daytona package?

Right now, it seems that they have the Yugo package.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

None of the rooks have been to TC. But at least 3 of them are starting on this D. That is an optimistic prediction, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Just my opinion from the tape I have watched.

That is a strange statement that he is too light for a Spags DE. I am not saying he will be primarily a DE (although I think he could), but that statement doesn't make sense. He is the exact same weight at Frank Clark. 6 pounds heavier than Danna. Same as Kaindoh. These are Spags DEs, so I think I have to disagree with that.

I would remember that there are some serious unknowns as far as pass rush. Kaindoh and Herring couldn't play last year. Chanel has some serious speed and bend. Clark could have a better year knowing he hits the streets next year. Danna is improving. They will not be dominate, but there is no way we can say they can't be better in the pass rush department this year. 

53 minutes ago, DieHard said:

None of the rooks have been to TC. But at least 3 of them are starting on this D. That is an optimistic prediction, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Just my opinion from the tape I have watched.

That is a strange statement that he is too light for a Spags DE. I am not saying he will be primarily a DE (although I think he could), but that statement doesn't make sense. He is the exact same weight at Frank Clark. 6 pounds heavier than Danna. Same as Kaindoh. These are Spags DEs, so I think I have to disagree with that.

Aren't those you listed at least 260# or so?  I thought Chenal was 245-250 depending on the source.  If he's bigger, my mistake.  Before the draft there was talk that Spags liked Karlaftis because of his size and type.  Wanted him over quicker, bendier guys.  Several commentators said Karl was a pure Spags pick.  Of course, they're usually wrong. 

19 hours ago, xen said:

Daytona package?

Always the asshole.  🤣

18 hours ago, jetlord said:

Aren't those you listed at least 260# or so?  I thought Chenal was 245-250 depending on the source.  If he's bigger, my mistake.  Before the draft there was talk that Spags liked Karlaftis because of his size and type.  Wanted him over quicker, bendier guys.  Several commentators said Karl was a pure Spags pick.  Of course, they're usually wrong. 

They list him and Clark at 261. But how accurate that is, I don’t know. 

2 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yes, it is.  A lot of rookie mistakes will happen. And again, we have the toughest schedule in football.  This is going to be a developmental year.  Fans are going to wrongly get mad and soured.  I think Spags and Daly are right in this article.  https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/6/3/23152604/chiefs-steve-spagnuolo-teams-leadership-organically.  They are telling the truth.  We need to curb our enthusiasm for this year.

Can't wait for the fire, insert name here, post to come. 

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yes, it is.  A lot of rookie mistakes will happen. And again, we have the toughest schedule in football.  This is going to be a developmental year.  Fans are going to wrongly get mad and soured.  I think Spags and Daly are right in this article.  https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/6/3/23152604/chiefs-steve-spagnuolo-teams-leadership-organically.  They are telling the truth.  We need to curb our enthusiasm for this year.

I'll still enjoy watching the Chiefs this year, especially if the new guys grow and contribute.  The Royals were fun in 2013 and 2014 and we attended quite a number of games.  And there's still a good chance that the Chiefs are a playoff team THIS year and will be better in January than Sept.  Nothing wrong with watching a reloading team, that's still competitive and has Mahomes and Kelce.  

Just now, jetlord said:

I'll still enjoy watching the Chiefs this year, especially if the new guys grow and contribute.  The Royals were fun in 2013 and 2014 and we attended quite a number of games.  And there's still a good chance that the Chiefs are a playoff team THIS year and will be better in January than Sept.  Nothing wrong with watching a reloading team, that's still competitive and has Mahomes and Kelce.  

It will be great fun, as long as we are not expecting too much in the W-L column.  This is about 2023 and beyond.