Chiefs Defense

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Will it be better? I for one am tired of watching this team have to score 40 points to put away a team. Or mount a sizeable lead only to squander it. I'm worried we will be near the bottom of the league in sacks and pressure this year. Talk me off the ledge....somebody.

Technically we had the 8th best scoring defense in the league.  

I think it's still a bit on the offense. No defense can be good if they are on the field for vast majority of a game. As long as the TOP is relatively more balanced this year the additions to the defense will make this a decent bunch and could result in a solid group. 

I like the changes in the roster. Needed refreshing. This will likely be an off year as far as wins go. Maybe 11-6  

Im not sold on Reid as a top ranked safety. But what do I know? 

The secondary may really struggle do to lack of pass rush. If only Andy would Run The Ball and keep the D on the sidelines. 

We learned how to tackle, during the off season..

and got quite a bit meaner..

The line backers, are for real.. 

I really dont know how we got that dude.. he is scary.. seriously scary.. he reminds me of other scary linebackers.  The Greek Dude is gonna be better than yall think as well.. 

chris playing next to him, is just gonna be fun.. 

now whats even gonna be more fun... 

whith chris playing in the backfield, there will be holes for linebackers.. 

those scary linebackers.. the once i talked about earlier.. there will be holes in the line for them. 

you all put way to much emphasis on sacks.. 

the disruption will be real..... and the sacks will be there.. because qbs wont have anywhere to run.. nobody is gonna wann run willing into  chenal gay love.. these guys are not just tacklers.. 

these are people, that will hit you, they will hit you so damn hard, the guy next to your feels it.. and they will wrap up when they do it.. 

for those worried if Reid, can be a big time safety.. please understand we no longer need a big time safety.. a pretty good safety is o.k. and I think we have a couple of those.  The Cornerbacks.. will surprise you as well..

question is can we stop the run. and i think that fixing the linebacker issues has already done that. these guys are fast, quick twitch people destroyers. 

11 hours ago, dhitter said:

I think if you look at that stat situationally it looks less impressive.

I believe if Reid and company had ran more, it would not have put the defense on the field so much and blowing yet another big lead against Cincy. They could help the defense so much more if we don't go 3 and out with 3 passes etc.

Just looking at positions: 

Ingram to Karl is better

Hitch to Bolton is better

Mathieu to Reed is worse

Ward to McDuff push maybe

Sorry-n-son to a rook don’t know

Neme to Chanel is better

6 new starters out of 11. I am sure losing the two leaders will create confusion for a while, but is the end it is a more talented group. Missed assignments in the secondary are probably inevitable early.

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

Just looking at positions: 

Ingram to Karl is better

Hitch to Bolton is better

Mathieu to Reed is worse

Ward to McDuff push maybe

Sorry-n-son to a rook don’t know

Neme to Chanel is better

6 new starters out of 11. I am sure losing the two leaders will create confusion for a while, but is the end it is a more talented group. Missed assignments in the secondary are probably inevitable early.

By mid season, I'd expect Reed and Cook to be better than HB and Sorenson.  Mathieu didn't exactly set the defense on fire last year and if Cook learns his job, he will be far superior to Sorenson.  When the Chiefs run the three safety scheme, they could be a plus secondary.  

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

By mid season, I'd expect Reed and Cook to be better than HB and Sorenson.  Mathieu didn't exactly set the defense on fire last year and if Cook learns his job, he will be far superior to Sorenson.  When the Chiefs run the three safety scheme, they could be a plus secondary.  

I hope so. I don’t know that I expect it from both. One is a rook and the other a vet coming off a rough season. If one can be a stud and the other just average, we will be fine.

The things I’m positively hoping for is that the new first year starters on defense, McDuffie and Karlaftis are Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith like as in “instant starters in their respective positions” and that the second and third year players at edge have developed drastically. Danna, Herring etc.. 

otherwise this is going to be a wild year and maybe even a year where the chiefs don’t have any home field advantage in the playoffs. 

Of course they will be in the playoffs cause Reid and Mahomes and Kelce.. 

Things to hope for on defense this season"

1. Reed is an effective replacement for HB.

2. McDuffie is a plus starter at CB.

3. Thornhill gets back to his rookie year level and better.

4.  Cook learns his position and is a huge upgrade over Sorenson.

5.  Karlaftis lives up to his first round status and gets pressure and some sacks.

6.  Saunders and/or Wharton comes back in shape and gives Jones some help up the middle.

7.. Clark stays healthy and plays for a new contract

8.  Either Kaindoh or Hirring play at an acceptable level as backups.

9.  No long term major injuries on defense.

If about five of those things happen, the defense will be as good as last year and with a little luck, could be better with upside as the rookies develop and a FA or two are brought in.

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Things to hope for on defense this season"

1. Reed is an effective replacement for HB.

2. McDuffie is a plus starter at CB.

3. Thornhill gets back to his rookie year level and better.

4.  Cook learns his position and is a huge upgrade over Sorenson.

5.  Karlaftis lives up to his first round status and gets pressure and some sacks.

6.  Saunders and/or Wharton comes back in shape and gives Jones some help up the middle.

7.. Clark stays healthy and plays for a new contract

8.  Either Kaindoh or Hirring play at an acceptable level as backups.

9.  No long term major injuries on defense.

If about five of those things happen, the defense will be as good as last year and with a little luck, could be better with upside as the rookies develop and a FA or two are brought in.

Hey! I tried to say some of the same things in my post! Your checklist was way better.