Chiefs Defense

1 minute ago, gochiefsgo said:

Hey! I tried to say some of the same things in my post! Your checklist was way better. 

And I agree with you.  It's just that it depends on a lot more than Karlaftis and McDuffie.  If they both pan out as quality starters, the Chiefs won't need all that much more.  But it's a lot to expect two plus starters in every draft class. 

Just now, jetlord said:

And I agree with you.  It's just that it depends on a lot more than Karlaftis and McDuffie.  If they both pan out as quality starters, the Chiefs won't need all that much more.  But it's a lot to expect two plus starters in every draft class. 

Yeah. But I even feel like it’s more like 4 or 5 rookies that are required “starter” type guys now with the loss of Tyreek and Matthieu when it comes to both the offense and defense.

I have heard camp hype on here for more than 20 years and Justyn Ross feels like another Samkon Gado situation a brewing so far. Brett Veach and his staff are brilliant so I’m optimistic. 

I feel a little spoiled after last year. It’s tough to expect so many home runs in the draft, but man these guys seem to be killing it. Give them as many picks as possible. To hell with trading away day one and day two picks when they are rolling like this. 

Philly’s dream team, ours when we brought in Chester in what 96? I will say the moves with Allen and Montana was great, but it didn’t produce a Championship. The Rams seem to be one of the few to pull it off, but they traded away the whole draft in 2022. They has got to have future ramifications, but with an unselfish stud like Pat, you got to go long term.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 11:56 PM, jetlord said:

theres another plus starter, i believe in this draft class..  and he plays on defense. Chenal, is gonna be exactly what we need in that slot.. i believe we have a very strong front 7.. maybe yall dont see it yet.

but the linebackers.. will not be a negative this year.  we havent had linebackers for a few years.. I know that.. but we have some now..

Gay Bolton Chenal

clark  nnadi jones greek freek

theres gonna be gaps.. theres gonna be quarterbacks hit.. theres gonna be people wondering what the hell hit them..

we will get pressure from the linebackers.. as well as from the ends, and the center.. 

you can not double jones with kartofolis next to him.. and you gotta have something someone to pickup the blitz coming from chenal.  ..

which means..

nnadi, and clark.. could have field days.

10 minutes ago, robg said:

theres another plus starter, i believe in this draft class..  and he plays on defense. Chenal, is gonna be exactly what we need in that slot.. i believe we have a very strong front 7.. maybe yall dont see it yet.

but the linebackers.. will not be a negative this year.  we havent had linebackers for a few years.. I know that.. but we have some now..

Gay Bolton Chenal

theres gonna be gaps.. theres gonna be quarterbacks hit.. theres gonna be people wondering what the hell hit them..

we will get pressure from the linebackers.. as well as from the ends, and the center.. 

you can not double jones with kartofolis next to him.. and you gotta have something someone to pickup the blitz coming from chenal.  ..

which means..

I like your thinking. 

3 hours ago, robg said:

Gay Bolton Chenal

which means..

Hope you're correct and agree about the LBs.  But the front four are a big question.  Jones and Clark are the only solid starters and Clark has been a disappointment.  Nnadi is okay for run stoppage, but gets no pass rush.  So aside from hope in a rookie, possibly a good one, the rest of the line seems back up quality.  Maybe Saunders will pop or Kaindoh will show something.  For now, DE is lacking in dependable rushers and with the young mobile QBs in the AFC, that spells trouble for the D. 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hope you're correct and agree about the LBs.  But the front four are a big question.  Jones and Clark are the only solid starters and Clark has been a disappointment.  Nnadi is okay for run stoppage, but gets no pass rush.  So aside from hope in a rookie, possibly a good one, the rest of the line seems back up quality.  Maybe Saunders will pop or Kaindoh will show something.  For now, DE is lacking in dependable rushers and with the young mobile QBs in the AFC, that spells trouble for the D. 

I have very little confidence in Clark. He just doesn't have the necessary arsenal of moves. Go back and look at the games. It's always the same thing. Rush wide hoping to beat the tackle....get pushed out even wider.....ball gone.

I also think the loss of Mathieu is way overblown by the media. He was not a difference maker last year. Dude looked old and slow on top of not wanting to stick his helmet in there when needed. 

Mathieu won't be missed at all. Clark will be ok, above average. He won't hurt us.

Bolton and Gay are studs who will excel this year. Chenal is a wild card. Rookie LBs always are. But, I get the feeling he'll be a guided missile disrupting offenses and forcing them to game plan around him by the second half of the season.

Not sure about the D-Line, but the LBs will be outstanding. 

18 hours ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Mathieu won't be missed at all. Clark will be ok, above average. He won't hurt us.

Bolton and Gay are studs who will excel this year. Chenal is a wild card. Rookie LBs always are. But, I get the feeling he'll be a guided missile disrupting offenses and forcing them to game plan around him by the second half of the season.

Not sure about the D-Line, but the LBs will be outstanding. 

I will take this a step farther, the loss of mathieu will be a MASSIVE positive.

we will have a younger guy out there who is faster and not scared to make a play.

i would buy mathieu was the cerebral captain of the defense except that there were blown coverages in the secondary constantly as well

i dont question reeds tackling ability, mathieu yeah to be honest.. 

the linebackers can and will tacke people, hell some of these guys look they could decleat you with a look.. 

talking about chenal and bolton to be honest.. 

sideline to sideline speed on both sides, from both outside backers.  when was the last time we could say that?i 

and to be honest i think that the front 4 will be better.. because the linebackers.. will keep everybody honest.. 

seriously.. how you triple team jones.. if chenal is coming through the gap to destroy your qb?

the greek guy wont see the double and triple teams he is used to.. just because of jones..  the other side has to play honest.. they cant cheat.. because.. both the will and the sam, 

think quarterbacks are some sort of desert.. 

cornerbacks and safeties will be better, because theres less time for the qb .. 

having good linebackers changes everything.. name a great defense with bad linebackers, name a great defense with A bad linebacker..

there you have it. 

I like all the moves Veach and Co made this off season. This is still an average or below average group. Too many hopes placed upon unproven players. Yes IF the rookies play like Stars that could be different. How many rookies ever do that year one? A complete lack of pass rush will still kill this defense. Hope offense can do some clock mngt and keep the D off the field.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I like all the moves Veach and Co made this off season. This is still an average or below average group. Too many hopes placed upon unproven players. Yes IF the rookies play like Stars that could be different. How many rookies ever do that year one? A complete lack of pass rush will still kill this defense. Hope offense can do some clock mngt and keep the D off the field.

Rookies will play like rookies at times, but the defense should grow at the season progresses.  Anything is better than seeing players who can't/won't tackle, get lost on the field, or are just too slow to defend.  Hughes vs. McDuffie.  Cook vs. Sorenson, Chenal vs. Neiman.  Except  for the loss of HB, who didn't have that good of a year, I don't see the downside of rookies playing this year. There's real competition among the DBs this year which is also refreshing.  

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Rookies will play like rookies at times, but the defense should grow at the season progresses.  Anything is better than seeing players who can't/won't tackle, get lost on the field, or are just too slow to defend.  Hughes vs. McDuffie.  Cook vs. Sorenson, Chenal vs. Neiman.  Except  for the loss of HB, who didn't have that good of a year, I don't see the downside of rookies playing this year. There's real competition among the DBs this year which is also refreshing.  

Ward also a loss. Corners are still a question? Im not sure about Reid being better than or as good as HB. Yes the future looks better and yes the defense should get better as the season plays out. No pass rush.  I still see this defense getting torched often. AFC West teams are built to out score KC. Maybe, doubtfull, Reid will play ball control and run it 40% or more.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, sith13 said:

I think it's still a bit on the offense. No defense can be good if they are on the field for vast majority of a game. As long as the TOP is relatively more balanced this year the additions to the defense will make this a decent bunch and could result in a solid group. 

Exactly!  A different kind of game plan that would achieve more time of possession would do more to improve our defensive stats than any single other thing, even if nothing else changes.  We can't have our defense gasping for air in the fourth quarter.  Our new line , running group, and the variety of receivers who can run more short and intermediate routes would make this the year to change things up in that direction.

11 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Building a young aggressive defense. Leo, Bolton, and gay are gonna terrorize offenses. Lots of athletes at the safety position too. 

YES Building is the key word. This will not likely be the year the defense is actually better. Sure hope it is but I think its not likely.

5 hours ago, Calichief said:

Building a young aggressive defense. Leo, Bolton, and gay are gonna terrorize offenses. Lots of athletes at the safety position too. 

Not worried about the LBs.  We already know Gay and Bolton can play.  It's the DBs that will have to be sorted out during TC.  Thornhill is saying all the right things so far this summer, but the past two years are disappointing.  Reed is no HB but hopefully the drop off will be small.  I really like Cook and his speed over Sorenson's should make a huge difference.  Sneed and McDuffie should be solid although McDuffie will likely have rookie issues.  Not sure who #3 will be.  Either the new guy from Houston or Williams who is rawer than McDuffie by a wide margin.  Fenton can contribute if he's healthy but isn't above average at best.  It will be a great competition.  

On 7/17/2022 at 7:14 AM, Calichief said:

Might be a little bumpy the first half of season. Hopefully they pick up the D to finish out the season. They are fast and talented. 

3 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Might be a little bumpy the first half of season. Hopefully they pick up the D to finish out the season. They are fast and talented. 

Problem with that is our first half is very rough per the schedule.