Chiefs Defense

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Problem with that is our first half is very rough per the schedule.

True, but we really care more about the playoffs than the early schedule.  Sure, it would be nice to win the division and have home field again, but that may not happen.  If the Chiefs make the playoffs and are on an uptick, they could still be the most feared team in the AFC.

On 7/17/2022 at 5:27 PM, AFCWEST said:

YES Building is the key word. This will not likely be the year the defense is actually better. Sure hope it is but I think its not likely.

Yep, in the Madden mindset we expect to see instant improvement on defense but realistically it takes at least a year for such a young group to come together and perform. If the offense does their part I think we'll see a final defensive output similar to last year that may be marginally better later in the season but not getting my hopes up just yet. 

Just trying to think of where the defense will be worse.  Hitchens?  No loss unless Bolton can't take charge.  Sorenson?  Cook could be the next Pollard type with more speed.  Sorenson?  'Nuff said.  Ward?  Average at best who played above his UDFA rating.  Hughes?  Inconsistent.  HB?  One area where the Chiefs may have downgraded, but he didn't have a good season.  Overall, the defense last season seemed slow, disorganized and mistake prone.  They didn't tackle well and gave up a high percentage of fourth and longs  This year will have some growing pains and rookie mistakes, but I expect more turnovers, harder hitting, and especially more speed.   

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Just trying to think of where the defense will be worse.  Hitchens?  No loss unless Bolton can't take charge.  Sorenson?  Cook could be the next Pollard type with more speed.  Sorenson?  'Nuff said.  Ward?  Average at best who played above his UDFA rating.  Hughes?  Inconsistent.  HB?  One area where the Chiefs may have downgraded, but he didn't have a good season.  Overall, the defense last season seemed slow, disorganized and mistake prone.  They didn't tackle well and gave up a high percentage of fourth and longs  This year will have some growing pains and rookie mistakes, but I expect more turnovers, harder hitting, and especially more speed.   

They will be fun to watch and full of potential, more than we had. Still, I think those kids will be ready to really do it starting in 2023. They will be a defense that flies around and hits people hard and strikes fear into people.  But they have to learn where to fly around to first.

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

They will be fun to watch and full of potential, more than we had. Still, I think those kids will be ready to really do it starting in 2023. They will be a defense that flies around and hits people hard and strikes fear into people.  But they have to learn where to fly around to first.

It's easy to buy into the over hype of the draftees, but I still think of how Bolton, Sneed, Thornhill, and Flowers among others came in and started effectively their rookie years.  Well, Bolton didn't start early in the season, but he should have.  I'm especially excited to see Cook.  He's gotten less ink, but his film is impressive. 

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

It's easy to buy into the over hype of the draftees, but I still think of how Bolton, Sneed, Thornhill, and Flowers among others came in and started effectively their rookie years.  Well, Bolton didn't start early in the season, but he should have.  I'm especially excited to see Cook.  He's gotten less ink, but his film is impressive. 

His film against college competition is very impressive.  Not trying to harsh your mellow, but more often than not, it takes more than training camp to get their game sped up, especially in Spags system.  Sometimes they are good off the bat, but a lot of the time, its because opponents don't really account for them until they have to.  Then reality sets in.

Report: Chiefs to Host USFL Defensive Player of the Year for Workout

In desperate need of some help at defensive end, the Chiefs are leaving no stone unturned.

The Kansas City Chiefs' 2022 training camp is cleared for takeoff this week, and the team is preparing in St. Joseph, MO for another season of possible playoff contention.

Despite boasting some serious talent on this year's squad, though, there's a massive question that remains on the roster: Has Kansas City done enough to add quality depth at defensive end? General manager Brett Veach is exhausting all options to find an answer, and that includes possibly bringing in some reinforcements from another league.

Per NFL reporter Dov Kleiman, the Chiefs will host pass-rusher Chris Odom for a workout on Wednesday. Odom, who most recently played for the Houston Gamblers of the United States Football League (USFL) this year, was named the Defensive Player of the Year following a campaign that saw him record 41 tackles and 121/2 sacks over the course of 10 games. The 2017 undrafted defensive end is 27 years old and will turn 28 by the beginning of the 2022 NFL regular season. 

Kleiman adds that Odom, an Arkansas State alum, has recently worked out for the Cincinnati Bengals, Arizona Cardinals and New Orleans Saints as well. This isn't his first time dipping his toe in the NFL waters, as he's been a member of the Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers and Washington Commanders in the past. In 11 career games in the league, he's logged 16 combined tackles, two sacks, two quarterback hits and a forced fumble. Odom has played 106 regular-season snaps at the NFL level.

In addition to hosting Odom for a workout, the Chiefs signed former Dallas Cowboys defensive end Azur Kamara on Tuesday afternoon. Kamara, who has also spent time with the Carolina Panthers, is a University of Kansas product who went undrafted back in 2020 and spent the entirety of his rookie campaign on the injured reserve list before appearing in nine games with the Cowboys last year. 

8 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

Honestly....  as long as Spaggs is in charge...i don't know if the talent even matters....  I don't trust him to scheme right against teams anyway...

He has done a pretty good job with an average defense roster and an offense that wont run the ball.

8 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

Honestly....  as long as Spaggs is in charge...i don't know if the talent even matters....  I don't trust him to scheme right against teams anyway...

see when yo say stupid shit like that it's hard to be taken seriously.  He has 2  Chiefs SB appearances as a Chiefs D-Co  and beat the previously unbeaten Pats in the SB  with the giants. His resume speaks for itself and altho you may BB& C about Spags you  provide no solution  to whom would be better IYO..

Andy much like back in the day Vermiel Defense will always take back seat to offense when it comes to priority and with a  1/2 B Qb  that is probably the right approach. Yea it could be argued  keeping the likes of  Dirty Dan and  that light in the pants LB who I pleasantly have forgotten his name around  probably wasn't the best decision but that could be said about all coachs.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

see when yo say stupid shit like that it's hard to be taken seriously.  He has 2  Chiefs SB appearances as a Chiefs D-Co  and beat the previously unbeaten Pats in the SB  with the giants. His resume speaks for itself and altho you may BB& C about Spags you  provide no solution  to whom would be better IYO..

Andy much like back in the day Vermiel Defense will always take back seat to offense when it comes to priority and with a  1/2 B Qb  that is probably the right approach. Yea it could be argued  keeping the likes of  Dirty Dan and  that light in the pants LB who I pleasantly have forgotten his name around  probably wasn't the best decision but that could be said about all coachs.

Yep. You can only play and scheme with the players you are given. I think Hitchens is still a free agent.

1 hour ago, THEWIZARD said:

I'm calling it now. He's the next Jared Allen.

Not Jared Allen, but when he was drafted the knock was that he had low experience and poor coaching/usage in college.  The talent was there.  With a year in the D-line room and some training, he could become useful for a team weak at DE.  He doesn't need to be elite, just help plug a hole at the defense's weakest position.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not Jared Allen, but when he was drafted the knock was that he had low experience and poor coaching/usage in college.  The talent was there.  With a year in the D-line room and some training, he could become useful for a team weak at DE.  He doesn't need to be elite, just help plug a hole at the defense's weakest position.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  

I wasn't really serious about him, but It would be a pleasant surprise.

He's probably a little closer to KPass.

Im 100% on board with signing Carlos Dunlap, we need someone who is at least respectable to put in the rotation.

although it has to be said its not a good sign that a few days into camp the chiefs seem to be scrambling HARD to bring in help at DE.

seems like they wanted to see how some players developed in the off season and are not particularly thrilled with what they are seeing.

get this deal with dunlap done asap veach lets go

44 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Im 100% on board with signing Carlos Dunlap, we need someone who is at least respectable to put in the rotation.

although it has to be said its not a good sign that a few days into camp the chiefs seem to be scrambling HARD to bring in help at DE.

seems like they wanted to see how some players developed in the off season and are not particularly thrilled with what they are seeing.

get this deal with dunlap done asap veach lets go

I like Dunlap as a solid veteran rotational piece. 8.5 sacks and better than 15% pressure rate last year. Odd that he hadn't gotten signed yet. The fact he is 33 probably the major factor.