Chiefs Defense

6 hours ago, dhitter said:

I like Dunlap as a solid veteran rotational piece. 8.5 sacks and better than 15% pressure rate last year. Odd that he hadn't gotten signed yet. The fact he is 33 probably the major factor.

Age, no huge contract offer, wants to avoid OTAs and some camp always seem like a factor.

11 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Im 100% on board with signing Carlos Dunlap, we need someone who is at least respectable to put in the rotation.

although it has to be said its not a good sign that a few days into camp the chiefs seem to be scrambling HARD to bring in help at DE.

seems like they wanted to see how some players developed in the off season and are not particularly thrilled with what they are seeing.

get this deal with dunlap done asap veach lets go

Training camp just started I'm not really sure how the 2nd paragraph can be true but  Yea we have always known that DE was a weakness with Clark and this guy seems would be a solid addition. I see it comparable to a Suggs signing. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Training camp just started I'm not really sure how the 2nd paragraph can be true but  Yea we have always known that DE was a weakness with Clark and this guy seems would be a solid addition. I see it comparable to a Suggs signing. 

I would add the veteran leadership to the mix. Clark is a proven idiot and we have a bunch of young bodies at DE, they could learn quite a lot from an established veteran so Dunlap might be providing that presence.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I will throw out 2 scenarios to show how it could be true that aren’t too far fetched. Lets say they were hoping kaindoh and malik herring would be factors this season

they may have asked kaindoh to put on some muscle to hold up better at edge and they can already tell he will have issues in that area.

herring sat out last year with a bad knee injury, they may have hoped he is 100% healthy now and ready to roll and he is still dinged up.

obviously i have no idea if these are true but scenarios along these lines can lead to plan B asap

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Dunlap Signed. Excellent. Honest question for discussion. Is Dunlap better than Ingram? Just want to get an idea of how he fits best. 

Yes! Ingram was way better than Okafor, but still wasn't very good. He had a half sack in week 13 and a half sack in week 14. With the Steelers he had a sack in week 2. He did have some nice pressures, but nothing to really write home about. Dunlap had 8.5 sacks last year. That is basically what the entire DE group got last year. I think they got 9 sacks as a group. 

So for reference dunlap signed for 8 mil and melvin ingram signed 4 mil.

dunlap had 6 sacks last year ingram had 2.

this will be something to monitor.

i still like this deal because we were kinda desperate, but dunlap knew that and id say we slightly overpayed, but thats how it goes.

ingram was decent last year, lets hope dunlap can be in the above average to good range

edit deal is “up to 8 mil”

so maybe its not even an overpay, i like it 

edit 2 PFF says he had 10 sacks while football reference says 6, if its 10 i like it a lot

12 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

So for reference dunlap signed for 8 mil and melvin ingram signed 4 mil.

dunlap had 6 sacks last year ingram had 2.

this will be something to monitor.

i still like this deal because we were kinda desperate, but dunlap knew that and id say we slightly overpayed, but thats how it goes.

ingram was decent last year, lets hope dunlap can be in the above average to good range

edit deal is “up to 8 mil”

so maybe its not even an overpay, i like it 

edit 2 PFF says he had 10 sacks while football reference says 6, if its 10 i like it a lot

Dunlap signed for 17 games Ingram signed for 8.

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Dunlap signed for 17 games Ingram signed for 8.

Good point and it's reported that the deal is worth up to $8 million.  Could that mean it's considerably less but loaded with incentives?  If Dunlap has even four or five sacks this season, he will me an upgrade.  I also expect more sacks from the LBs this year.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Yes! Ingram was way better than Okafor, but still wasn't very good. He had a half sack in week 13 and a half sack in week 14. With the Steelers he had a sack in week 2. He did have some nice pressures, but nothing to really write home about. Dunlap had 8.5 sacks last year. That is basically what the entire DE group got last year. I think they got 9 sacks as a group. 

Thanks. I dont think Sacks are the only measure although no doubt KC has a huge sack need.

50 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Everything I read says Dunlap had 8.5 sacks last year and north of 15% pressure rate. This is a solid signig that we desperately needed to make. I know it doesn't solve everything but it helps. Chiefs got better.

The 33-year-old Dunlap was the Seahawks' most accomplished edge rusher and was coming off a strong finish in which he recorded eight sacks over the final six games. But that was after an unproductive first half in which he saw his playing time dwindle. He finished with 8.5 sacks last season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34306843/kansas-city-chiefs-signing-carlos-dunlap-agent-says

53 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i dont see where miami signed ingram to an 8 game deal. that doesn't make sense to me, but whatever, main point is it will be interesting to see how these two players compare to each other this season.

my bad I thought you where referring to Ingram/Chiefs deal last year.

That being said Florida does not have an income tax soo your take home pay goes a lot further

Throughout his career, Dunlap has always been one to get a hand on a pass; he has 69 career passes defended. Last season, he batted six passes, according to PFF. It was the third-most among all defensive linemen. On the Chiefs, Chris Jones had five — but no other rusher had more than two; Clark had zero.

This phase of Dunlap’s game can be attributed to good effort and sound awareness. Dunlap understands the unique advantage he has at his size, so he’s constantly active in throwing lanes — always throwing his hands up once he notices the quarterback winding up towards his direction.

How he fits with the Chiefs

In Kansas City, Dunlap will be penetrating a rotation at defensive end that is headed by Clark, rookie George Karlaftis, and Mike Danna. It’s not likely that he’s a starter if everyone’s healthy, but he should be able to eat a good chunk of snaps in either phase of the game.

Think about former Chief Alex Okafor; last season, he played 41% of the team’s snaps. That’s likely on the higher side of an expectation for how much Dunlap will play, but he should be a much more impactful player on those snaps than Okafor was, especially in 2021.

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Thanks. I dont think Sacks are the only measure although no doubt KC has a huge sack need.

You mean pressures I am sure and you are right. But, we are at the bottom of the league in sacks, so I think it’s a need. I couldn’t find a good comparison for pressures.

I also like the Dunlap signing.

This is just my opinion, but on the subject of Spags. I think he's a smart defensive coach, and what may separate him and other DC's from someone like Bellichik is the ability to tolerate players mistakes more. It's just a hunch, and may not be true, but Bellichik seems like the type who will get rid of a player who's not doing what he wants, or doesn't have the intelligence to do so. 

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

The 33-year-old Dunlap was the Seahawks' most accomplished edge rusher and was coming off a strong finish in which he recorded eight sacks over the final six games. But that was after an unproductive first half in which he saw his playing time dwindle. He finished with 8.5 sacks last season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34306843/kansas-city-chiefs-signing-carlos-dunlap-agent-says

I read an interview with a Seattle beat writer. Said their DC (Ken Norton Jr.) was misusing Dunlap. Early on using him more like a 3-4 outside linebacker type. Norton got fired in the off-season by the way. Once he realized Dunlap needed to be a true defensive end his productivity went way up. 8 sacks in the final 6 games. Dunlap is also pretty smart and tries to affect plays any way he can ....like batting passes.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

You mean pressures I am sure and you are right. But, we are at the bottom of the league in sacks, so I think it’s a need. I couldn’t find a good comparison for pressures.

I think sacks are the major focus of most including the so called experts. Knocking down a pass, defending the edge and playing the rush as important. Yes KC needs pass rush and all of the other things too. AFC West will not see homefield advantage anytime soon. These teams will keep beating each other including KC. I see Chiefs 3-3 against the west.