Chiefs Defense

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

I think sacks are the major focus of most including the so called experts. Knocking down a pass, defending the edge and playing the rush as important. Yes KC needs pass rush and all of the other things too. AFC West will not see homefield advantage anytime soon. These teams will keep beating each other including KC. I see Chiefs 3-3 against the west. 

I'm thinking 4-2. They'll sweep either the Donks or the raiders. I'm not that sold on Denver. A new system with a r ookie HC and coordinators, a new (old)QB and a mediocre OL WalRuss may not make it through the season.

11 hours ago, dhitter said:

I read an interview with a Seattle beat writer. Said their DC (Ken Norton Jr.) was misusing Dunlap. Early on using him more like a 3-4 outside linebacker type. Norton got fired in the off-season by the way. Once he realized Dunlap needed to be a true defensive end his productivity went way up. 8 sacks in the final 6 games. Dunlap is also pretty smart and tries to affect plays any way he can ....like batting passes.

Don't know about all that but he was playing through a foot injury in the first half of season as well which is tough on a lineman since it affects so much in pass rush.

He led the league in batted passes last year and has some weird ridiculous stat like nearly 70 career batted passes iirc (usually the league credits these as passes defensed).

Good edge setter, he's a spags type of power rusher, consistent guy who rarely misses games.  

He may be a rotational guy at this point in his career but tbh this is probably the best case scenario for us as all the other vets like him either have injury concerns or are Jadeveon fucking Clowney.

All I know is that Clark played 59% of the snaps and had 4.5 sacks, 0 pass defenses, 2 FF, 17 QB hits.

Dunlap played 38% of snaps and had 8.5 sacks, 7 pass defenses, 1 FF, 14 QB hits.

That is excellent production compared to what we had. Great signing.

7 minutes ago, DieHard said:

All I know is that Clark played 59% of the snaps and had 4.5 sacks, 0 pass defenses, 2 FF, 17 QB hits.

Dunlap played 38% of snaps and had 8.5 sacks, 7 pass defenses, 1 FF, 14 QB hits.

Yes. Too bad its a pathetic Clark comparison though.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

The snaps with Jones, Karl and Dunlap on the field will be stout. 

If Wharton or Saunders finally clicked, they could almost reach average.  Maybe that's good enough for a rookie laced secondary.  At least, it's an improvement from last season. 

17 hours ago, qnet said:

I also like the Dunlap signing.

This is just my opinion, but on the subject of Spags. I think he's a smart defensive coach, and what may separate him and other DC's from someone like Bellichik is the ability to tolerate players mistakes more. It's just a hunch, and may not be true, but Bellichik seems like the type who will get rid of a player who's not doing what he wants, or doesn't have the intelligence to do so. 

Agree. I think Spags knows how to develop players faster by helping them learn from mistakes rather than benching them.  I have to give Reid credit for that. Example: waiting for Ward and Fenton to develop into valuable players by tolerating and learning from their early mistakes. Mistakes are an investment in learning. They have to play and make mistakes to get those learning opportunities. If Bellichik doesn't believe in that from his coordinators, maybe that is why his team has been unsuccessful since Brady left. Brady could cover up a lot of weaknesses on the overall team.  I think in the long run  players develop better through teaching after mistakes rather than by fear of losing reps.  Does a dog learn better from getting a treat for doing good or by fear of getting swatted for doing wrong? We know the answer to that. People are just like dogs in so many ways.  (That's why we like them.)

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

This is not really a reply to your post or to you Diehard but just a general comment.  The sacks and pressures that players get is heavily dependent on pass coverage.  We all know that, but it hasn't been mentioned enough.  The only way to know how effective Dunlap will be is by knowing how good the secondary will be. How long will it take the secondary to gel? If everyone is covered, Dunlap will get a lot of sacks.  If the secondary struggles, so will Dunlap's stats. We all also know that the bigger a lead we have, the more the opponent will try to pass. So, all of those defensive stats depend on the success of the offense...and vice versa.  We like to concentrate in forums on individual stats, but this is a team game.

39 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

This is not really a reply to your post or to you Diehard but just a general comment.  The sacks and pressures that players get is heavily dependent on pass coverage.  We all know that, but it hasn't been mentioned enough.  The only way to know how effective Dunlap will be is by knowing how good the secondary will be. How long will it take the secondary to gel? If everyone is covered, Dunlap will get a lot of sacks.  If the secondary struggles, so will Dunlap's stats. We all also know that the bigger a lead we have, the more the opponent will try to pass. So, all of those defensive stats depend on the success of the offense...and vice versa.  We like to concentrate in forums on individual stats, but this is a team game.

I think you put it perfectly.

6 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

Do you know Clark personally? If liking to drink makes you an alcoholic I imagine most of the people on this board are.

Nope.  If it is fucking up your life, and you can't be comfortable for very long without it, then you are an alcoholic.  Whether that applies to Clark, I don't know.  But he implies that  it is fucking up his job. That's all I know.

6 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Nope.  If it is fucking up your life, and you can't be comfortable for very long without it, then you are an alcoholic.  Whether that applies to Clark, I don't know.  But he implies that  it is fucking up his job. That's all I know.

He also said he quit eating red meat. It sounds like he just decided to change his lifestyle and eat a healthier diet. 

31 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

He did not say he is an alcoholic. He used his drinking, weight and lifestyle as an excuse for SUCKING. 

Now he is going to be ALL-IN.  Well I hope so. 

This is basically a contract year for him. He would have to have a TJ Watt type of year to get what his  contract is worth next year, and even then it may be iffy.

All I know is Clark better show up this year. We are paying him too much bloody money to be drinking and eating red meat and then come out and say that was the reason. 
excuses is all it is. 
just pack your lunch box like we all do and go to work Clark. 

just pisses me off sometimes. 
I had steak, wine and beer tonight. 

On 7/29/2022 at 2:24 AM, dhitter said:

I read an interview with a Seattle beat writer. Said their DC (Ken Norton Jr.) was misusing Dunlap. Early on using him more like a 3-4 outside linebacker type. Norton got fired in the off-season by the way. Once he realized Dunlap needed to be a true defensive end his productivity went way up. 8 sacks in the final 6 games. Dunlap is also pretty smart and tries to affect plays any way he can ....like batting passes.

It was more of a roster issue. I don't think Dunlap was bad at LB but not great either. However he definitely belongs to the DL.