This is promising!

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/chiefs-wr-marquez-valdes-scantling-165852445.html

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling was NFL’s fastest receiver in 2021

If you’re worried about how the Kansas City Chiefs offense will stretch the field in 2021 without Tyreek Hill, look no further than WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Valdes-Scantling was the 2nd-fastest ball-carrier in the NFL last season with a top speed of 22.09 mph on a 75-yard touchdown reception against the Minnesota Vikings. Valdes-Scantling, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds at the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine, aligned in a 3×1 formation in the slot on the play. He torched Vikings S Xavier Woods and tied the game at 31, though the Packers would go on to lose the contest.

Only Indianapolis Colts RB Jonathan Taylor recorded a faster top speed all season (22.13 mph) according to NFL Next Gen Stats. Valdes-Scantling’s 22.09 mph was also the fastest speed recorded by a receiver dating back to 2019 when Mecole Hardman’s 21.87 mph led all receivers. Valdes-Scantling’s top speed in 2021 was also faster than any speed recorded by Tyreek Hill that season. Hill only reached a top speed of 21.42 mph in 2021 per NFL Next Gen Stats.

There’s actually a lot of evidence that Valdes-Scantling can be the perfect replacement for the role Hill played in the Chiefs’ offense. Since his rookie campaign in 2018, Valdes-Scantling was clocked at 20-plus miles per hour 14 separate times as a ball carrier per Next Gen Stats. Hill is the only player in the NFL who was clocked at 20-plus mph with more frequency (45 times) during that span. The biggest difference is that Hill had more opportunity in the K.C. offense compared to Valdes-Scantling in Green Bay. Hill played over 750 more offensive snaps in that span to Valdes-Scantling, not including the snaps played in the playoffs.

He's got the speed.  But does he have the hands, vision, elusiveness, mastery of routes?  I'm hopeful, but I don't see a guy who can replace all of those things that Hill had.  In fact, I am skeptical, because his drop rate is pretty high compare to Hill.  But I will keep my mind open.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He's got the speed.  But does he have the hands, vision, elusiveness, mastery of routes?  I'm hopeful, but I don't see a guy who can replace all of those things that Hill had.  In fact, I am skeptical, because his drop rate is pretty high compare to Hill.  But I will keep my mind open.

I'm not seeing where anyone suggested he is Cheetah 2.0 because there is none and you have no option but to keep your mind open at least until  Season starts

I'm hoping that we can make the running game enough of a real threat to draw a safety in. Then we can do some real damage with the receivers we have. We ought to be able to do that with the O-line we have.  Then Mahomes and the coaches can do the rest, especially if we can have longer possession times.

I will say this for MVS, the drop rate narrative being thrown out by the blogs is based on 1 season, 2020, where his drop rate was 11% (7 drops out of 63 targets).  The other 3 years his drop rate has been above average to great (0 drops in 2021 on 55 targets for example)

So honestly while I am concerned it is not a huge concern.  He may not have all world hands but he's at least average to really good over time, which is fine.  There have been lots of truly great receivers with average drop rates.   Hell Brandon Marshall had a great career with a shit ass drop rate.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

For reference, Kelce had a 7% drop rate last year.

Interesting.  Actually, I was pretty surprised by the ones he dropped.  But it's true MVS really only had that one really bad year for drops.  I just hope he doesn't alternate years in that way LOL.

6 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Is Hardman the only WR under 6 feet tall? Seems like the WR group got a lot taller.

seems to reason as it seems that DB's are getting taller faster which makes  the 5'11 DB we drafted  a bit of a wonder to me but I'm no draftnerd

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

seems to reason as it seems that DB's are getting taller faster which makes  the 5'11 DB we drafted  a bit of a wonder to me but I'm no draftnerd

Rather a 5'11 CB with coverage and tackling skills than a 6'2 who's one step late or can't turn his head. (or falls down on fourth and 13 😀)

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I want to see a true dwarf that no one will be able to tackle or even see unless they look down but who has great speed and hands. (Mahomes would wear special glasses.)  Every reception would be a lowlight reel.

"I drink and I catch things"

See the source image

1 minute ago, mex said:

Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones. If you're not a GOT fan, you probably won't get it.

I was thinking of Dinklage when I wrote that post.  :lol:   I got the image to load, and it is exactly what I had in mind.  Except in a Chiefs uniform.  Yes, I'm a huge GOT fan. I just got a new rescue dog and named him Davos.