Weekly Rooting Guide

I might be with CWil on this one - might - In terms of the Browns, sure have them beat a good team because they will lose later, but I want the Bengals to beat everybody so that the Steelers and Ravens have to battle more for a spot. The Bengals are the most beatable in the playoffs should we face them. But I had Browns over Bengals first, so let's see where I fall by tomorrow mid-day.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen any of the game yet, but have decided that it is best for the Bengals to lose. It isn't to "give one to the Browns," but rather, "don't miss out on the WC because the Bengals win one too many and the Steelers/Ravens stay/get hot to win their division."

I haven't seen any of the game yet, but have decided that it is best for the Bengals to lose. It isn't to "give one to the Browns," but rather, "don't miss out on the WC because the Bengals win one too many and the Steelers/Ravens stay/get hot to win their division."

I was more picking Bengals based on schedules going forward

Browns- vs Texans, @ Falcons, @ Bills, vs Colts, vs Bengals, @ Panthers, @ Ravens- they could get 5 wins out of this

Bengals- @ Saints, @ Texans, @ Bucs, vs Steelers, @ Browns, vs Broncos, @ Steelers

But I guess looking at this now after the game, Bengals might fall way out of contention in the next few weeks if they don't keep winning.

Week 10

Browns @ Bengals - I might be wrong if the Bengals are anywhere near as bad as they were, but thought they were a bigger risk of a WC if Steelers/Ravens win their division.

Chiefs @ Bills - Obvious

Dolphins @ Lions - NFC over AFC.

Cowboys @ Jaguars - NFC winning helps our draft picks w/I hurting playoff chances.

49ers @ Saints - "The 49ers winning looks better on the Chiefs SOS"

Titans @ Ravens - Ravens are WC candidate. "Titans win also helps SOS."

Steelers @ Jets - AFC WC teams need to lose.

Falcons @ Buccaneers - Same as Cowboys game.

Broncos @ Raiders - Obvious, plus off chance of avoiding first overall pick to Raiders.

Rams @ Cardinals- "Helps SOS and could cause Arizona to get a bit overconfident coming into KC game?"

Giants @ Seahawks - "Seahawks are a step closer to not hitting panic mode before playing KC."

Bears @ Packers - Same as Cowboys, but opposite could help draft, too if Bears turn it around.

Panthers @ Eagles - Same as Packers' game.

Week 10

Browns @ Bengals - I might be wrong if the Bengals are anywhere near as bad as they were, but thought they were a bigger risk of a WC if Steelers/Ravens win their division.

Chiefs @ Bills - Obvious

Dolphins @ Lions - NFC over AFC.

Cowboys @ Jaguars - NFC winning helps our draft picks w/I hurting playoff chances.

49ers @ Saints - "The 49ers winning looks better on the Chiefs SOS"

Titans @ Ravens - Ravens are WC candidate. "Titans win also helps SOS."

Steelers @ Jets - AFC WC teams need to lose.

Falcons @ Buccaneers - Same as Cowboys game.

Broncos @ Raiders - Obvious, plus off chance of avoiding first overall pick to Raiders.

Rams @ Cardinals- "Helps SOS and could cause Arizona to get a bit overconfident coming into KC game?"

Giants @ Seahawks - "Seahawks are a step closer to not hitting panic mode before playing KC."

Bears @ Packers - Same as Cowboys, but opposite could help draft, too if Bears turn it around.

Panthers @ Eagles - Same as Packers' game.

Got all but the Titans-Ravens and Broncos-Raiders. One more tonight, but 10-2 so far.

When preparing the next installment of The Rooting Guide, you may want to consider the following:

• If the Chiefs win out, they're guaranteed first place in the AFC West (as they will hold the common games tiebreaker over the Broncos) and a first-week playoff bye. If the Patriots drop any one of their remaining games, the Chiefs would also have home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

• I don't have time to go over all of the permutations now, but I suspect that the Raiders could be mathematically eliminated from post-season contention before their game time on Sunday afternoon. They haven't been able to play well all season for their own sake, but maybe if they're mad at the world, they can take out their anger on the Chargers that afternoon.

Oh yeah, rooting for the Raiders in every division game except against us. Rooting for Broncos over Chargers just in case, because we have one more against the Chargers. We have a chance to get the division, but I want to secure playoffs if we do lose some. Eliminating other WC's is the focus while winning ours. Of course, rooting against Broncos in every game that doesn't involve us or a WC hopeful in our way.

Kansas City over Seattle: Obvious.

St. Louis over Denver: Obvious.

Raiders over San Diego: Only SD is a WC threat.

Buffalo over Miami: I think they have less chance at a WC, but if they beat Miami, they'd have more chance at a WC and I would wish later that Miami won (because Miami would drop elsewhere).

New Orleans over Cincinnati: NFC over AFC.

Houston over Cleveland: Browns are a bigger WC threat, IMO.

New England over Indianapolis: Could be talked out of this, but it looks like our best chance of getting a bye week if Denver falls is for the Colts to lose more. Patriots won't lose enough. Plus, SOS.

Niners over Giants: SOS. Draft pick is better if NFC teams have better record w/I hurting playoff chances.

Chicago over Minnesota: Too many people crowned Chicago after win over Niners. Not many, but too much. However, they are underdogs it seems.

Green Bay over Philadelphia: Same reason as Niners game, though I suspect this would be too good for Jerry Jones.

Arizona over Detroit: Get Arizona overconfident and raise SOS for later.

Washington over Tampa Bay: Might as well give one to them. Jerry Jobes? Just kidding.

Atlanta over Carolina: Punish them in my rankings for their tie.

Kansas City over Seattle: Got it!

St. Louis over Denver: Got it!

Raiders over San Diego: Almost.

Buffalo over Miami: Nope.

New Orleans over Cincinnati: Nope.

Houston over Cleveland: Got it.

New England over Indianapolis: Got it.

Niners over Giants: Got it.

Chicago over Minnesota: Got it.

Green Bay over Philadelphia: Got it.

Arizona over Detroit: Got it.

Washington over Tampa Bay: Nope.

Atlanta over Carolina: Got it.

9-4. Not bad, especially the first two.

Week 12

Chiefs over Raiders: Obvious.

Rams over Chargers: Obvious. Need them playing for their playoff lives against Denver, but out of it against us.

Miami over Denver: Obvious - except Broncos won't lose three in a row, so maybe we want them to beat a WC foe? Nah - go for the division and bye! If we lose to the Broncos, Miami loss would help. But so would a Denver loss.

Lions over Patriots: NFC over Top Seed Foe (Can't believe I typed that for us)

New Orleans over Baltimore: Hurts WC foe without helping any AFC teams.

Atlanta over Cleveland: NFC over WC foe.

Jaguars over Colts: In case we win the division but don't get a bye week, we need a better record than the Colts.

Texans over Cincinnati: This might hurt us because PIT/BAL are more dangerous to play in WC, but Texans won't make playoffs.

Jets over Buffalo: We're looking for the division or bye week, but we have to have WC teams lose, too.

Arizona over Seattle: Need them to less need to beat us or to get too confident.

Philadelphia over Titans: Helps draft pick without hurting playoff chances.

Green Bay over Minnesota: Helps draft pick without hurting playoff chances.Niners over Redskins: Helps draft pick w/o hurting playoff chances.

Dallas over New York Giants: Same as above.

Chicago over Tampa Bay: Maybe they run the table and we end up 10-6? LOL. We'd need them to help our draft pick.

The MIA/DEN game is a tough one to call.  With the head to head tie breaker over the Dolphins, it's hard to see the Chiefs being beat out of the WC by them.  Also, the Chiefs certainly have to beat DEN the next week to have any chance at winning the division so maybe another Donk loss would be a good thing.  At the same time, elimination of any WC competitor, MIA, is a good thing.  

Yep, Jetlord. Win/Win, Lose/Lose. Tiebreaker goes to Denver losing, but do you see them losing three in a row? I know that streaks don't neccesarily affect any given game, I just don't want them to truly refocus. Have them L/W/L/W/L/W/L the rest of the season. It would work out best that way. (Because they aren't going to go L(Pats game)/W/L/W/L/L/L/L/L)

Week 12

Chiefs over Raiders: Obvious.

Rams over Chargers: Obvious. Need them playing for their playoff lives against Denver, but out of it against us.

Miami over Denver: Obvious - except Broncos won't lose three in a row, so maybe we want them to beat a WC foe? Nah - go for the division and bye! If we lose to the Broncos, Miami loss would help. But so would a Denver loss.

Lions over Patriots: NFC over Top Seed Foe (Can't believe I typed that for us)

New Orleans over Baltimore: Hurts WC foe without helping any AFC teams.

Atlanta over Cleveland: NFC over WC foe.

Jaguars over Colts: In case we win the division but don't get a bye week, we need a better record than the Colts.

Texans over Cincinnati: This might hurt us because PIT/BAL are more dangerous to play in WC, but Texans won't make playoffs.

Jets over Buffalo: We're looking for the division or bye week, but we have to have WC teams lose, too.

Arizona over Seattle: Need them to less need to beat us or to get too confident.

Philadelphia over Titans: Helps draft pick without hurting playoff chances.

Green Bay over Minnesota: Helps draft pick without hurting playoff chances.

Niners over Redskins: Helps draft pick w/o hurting playoff chances.

Dallas over New York Giants: Same as above.

Chicago over Tampa Bay: Maybe they run the table and we end up 10-6? LOL. We'd need them to help our draft pick.

Not good. 6-9. Worst 6. That's what we get for bragging. :(

Archived