Screw Orlando Brown

it was mentioned pre draft that  the negotiations where not going well..here's why.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/orlando-brown-jr-extension-talks-165311043.html

The Chiefs have until mid-July to come to an agreement on a contract extension with Brown. To this point, the major hold-up has been the lack of him having an agent. As of Veach’s pre-draft musings, Brown still hadn’t made a decision on an agent.

With players reporting to team facilities for Phase 2 of the offseason workout program, talks surrounding an extension are likely to resume, agent or no agent.

Would be nice to get that contract done and behind us.  Only gonna cost us more and more if we wait.  Don't like overpaying guys who aren't elite.  I'm not bashing on Brown and am glad we have him and I also don't mind Veach and Co paying him but he isn't a top 5 LT in the L and the longer we wait we will keep resetting the market with him.  Get him done and allow the cap to sky rocket making it similar to Mahomes deal.   A down the road bargain.

12 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Would be nice to get that contract done and behind us.  Only gonna cost us more and more if we wait.  Don't like overpaying guys who aren't elite.  I'm not bashing on Brown and am glad we have him and I also don't mind Veach and Co paying him but he isn't a top 5 LT in the L and the longer we wait we will keep resetting the market with him.  Get him done and allow the cap to sky rocket making it similar to Mahomes deal.   A down the road bargain.

He is playing with fire too. One bad injury and his value plummets.

51 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Heis playing with fire too. One bad injury and his value plummets.

One reason to get Brown signed longer term is that it would reduce cap hit THIS year.  If a DE or DT gets released by some team after mini camp, the Chiefs would be in position to sign him.  Right now, cap space is a little tight for a significant FA signing. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Chiefs are expected to begin contract negotiations with LT Orlando Brown.

Brown is currently on the franchise tag for the 2022 season. The tag will cost $16.7 million this year and leaves Brown as a free agent next offseason. With Brown anchoring the left side of Patrick Mahomes' offensive line, there's no way the Chiefs let him hit the open market. All signs point to the two sides reaching an agreement sooner rather than later. Pro Football Focus ranked Brown as their No. 28 offensive tackle last year.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Chiefs are expected to begin contract negotiations with LT Orlando Brown.

Brown is currently on the franchise tag for the 2022 season. The tag will cost $16.7 million this year and leaves Brown as a free agent next offseason. With Brown anchoring the left side of Patrick Mahomes' offensive line, there's no way the Chiefs let him hit the open market. All signs point to the two sides reaching an agreement sooner rather than later. Pro Football Focus ranked Brown as their No. 28 offensive tackle last year.

28th ranked, huh?

I hope he's asking for 28th ranked money..I'd pay him what  he's worth. His "Prove It" deal was last year and I consider myself one the Orlando Brown "complainers". So, if he wants to be a chief, I hope that he's asking for the right contract.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

One reason to get Brown signed longer term is that it would reduce cap hit THIS year.  If a DE or DT gets released by some team after mini camp, the Chiefs would be in position to sign him.  Right now, cap space is a little tight for a significant FA signing. 

I could see us making a run at Bradbury when he gets cut and making a run on an edge outside of Ingram.   

Sneed, Fenton. McDuffie and Bradbury make a nice set of DBs with Johnson and a Williams rounding out the group.  Stash the others guys on IR.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I could see us making a run at Bradbury when he gets cut and making a run on an edge outside of Ingram.   

Sneed, Fenton. McDuffie and Bradbury make a nice set of DBs with Johnson and a Williams rounding out the group.  Stash the others guys on IR.

i seriously doubt we make a run at bradbury. they invested too much capital into the secondary during the draft it just wouldn't make sense. in fact, i see them trading away at least 1 guy currently on the roster to make space for some of these rookies. im assuming it will be thornhill.

1 minute ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i seriously doubt we make a run at bradbury. they invested to much capital into the secondary during the draft it just wouldn't make sense. in fact, i see them trading away at least 1 guy currently on the roster to make space for some of these rookies. im assuming it will be thornhill.

Doubt it, at least this season.  They need three safeties and Reid, Thornhill, and Cook will be it. 

20 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i seriously doubt we make a run at bradbury. they invested too much capital into the secondary during the draft it just wouldn't make sense. in fact, i see them trading away at least 1 guy currently on the roster to make space for some of these rookies. im assuming it will be thornhill.

Rookies are unproven and 3 safties are one injury , or police arrest, away from no depth. I dont see KC trading any dbs. All those rookies wont make the team and may some may end up on the Practice Squad.

4 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Thornhill is the only safety that knows and has experience in Spags D.  It will be a make or break year but he is going nowhere.  

How many DBs total did we keep last year? 11?

Sneed, McDuffie, Fenton, LJ, Williams, and Watson/Baker/Barcoo/Bootle/Johnson.  

Reid, Thornhill, Cook, Bush, Anderson/Key

I think Bradbury is still very much in play.  

Bradbury, Mcduffie, and Fenton can play outside which allows Sneed to play a robber/slot role.   

I don't expect any issues besides the Brown not having an agent but if he decides to go the stupid route are there any OTs available in FA waiting on that last second veteran deal? 

DBs are definitely in play, we have been adding bodies like crazy I don't think that would mean we are done with possible upgrades. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

I don't expect any issues besides the Brown not having an agent but if he decides to go the stupid route are there any OTs available in FA waiting on that last second veteran deal? 

DBs are definitely in play, we have been adding bodies like crazy I don't think that would mean we are done with possible upgrades. 

Fisher?

13 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

There you have it. The Bob Nightengale of Chiefs Coalition called it...

So you can expect Bradberry to be a Chief the same day he is released, and Thornhill to be extended at some point this year.

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

Brown will play this season.  The issue is whether he plays under the tag or negotiates a multi-year deal.  I'm betting on a deal.  Brown gets security and the Chiefs gain some immediate cap space assuming the deal is structured the right way.  

I just don't know what to think about that contract.  I think he improved last year, but was far for elite. I would hate to make him the highest paid LT based on promise. At the same time, we sunk a first into him and don't have any other option. I would be good, I guess, making him the 5th highest paid LT based on promise. We could franchise him again, but that means we are right back to where we started after 2023. If he would even play on a second franchise tag. It is a tough spot to be in.

2 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I just don't know what to think about that contract.  I think he improved last year, but was far for elite. I would hate to make him the highest paid LT based on promise. At the same time, we sunk a first into him and don't have any other option. I would be good, I guess, making him the 5th highest paid LT based on promise. We could franchise him again, but that means we are right back to where we started after 2023. If he would even play on a second franchise tag. It is a tough spot to be in.

I predict 5 years $100 mil $60 mil guaranteed 

2 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

I predict 5 years $100 mil $60 mil guaranteed 

That would put him at #4 in $/yr average and #2 in guaranteed money. That is probably about right. Overpaid a little, but not much we can do about that.