Screw Orlando Brown

11 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

This is such a bizarre conversation. I feel like 95% of the board agrees brown is a decent LT, its just some don’t want to pay for decent and the others want to pay decent in fear of downgrading to bad.

YOU NAILED IT

14 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

This is such a bizarre conversation. I feel like 95% of the board agrees brown is a decent LT, its just some don’t want to pay for decent and the others want to pay decent in fear of downgrading to bad.

If he shows he is worth it, we will keep him at a good price. I dont mind paying him as it would be worth the line continuity and protection of PM. To pay him though so we don't create a hole is not worth it. If we can upgrade, then we need to do so at said time. We did go hard after Trent Williams, so I do not see Veach standing pat just to do so.

It’s a fair conversation. Let’s say we don’t resign him. If Brown just kills it this season, the price will not be 20 per next year. He played, I think, his first full season at LT. Not sure we have seen the top. Maybe we have. I don’t know.

If he sucks, we can move on. But to what? What stud LT under 35 will be sitting there waiting for us to call.  A rook drafted at 30th overall? Trade that first for another LT waiting on a massive contract the next year?  Where does that leave us improving DT and DE? Especially with Jones getting towards the end of his contract.  We have pieces missing at premium positions. 

I understand the problem, but I don’t understand the solution if we move on. 

1 minute ago, DieHard said:

It’s a fair conversation. Let’s say we don’t resign him. If Brown just kills it this season, the price will not be 20 per next year. He played, I think, his first full season at LT. Not sure we have seen the top. Maybe we have. I don’t know.

If he sucks, we can move on. But to what? What stud LT under 35 will be sitting there waiting for us to call.  A rook drafted at 30th overall? Trade that first for another LT waiting on a massive contract the next year?  Where does that leave us improving DT and DE? Especially with Jones getting towards the end of his contract.  We have pieces missing at premium positions. 

Always options. Hard to predict the future. KC could role the dice and trade up for the top LT in the draft. Free agents could be better than we know at this point. KC does not have to have an elite LT. Would be nice but teams win with serviceable tackles. If Brown plays elite pay him.  If not what is the difference? Why pay elite money if not elite?

Seems to me that Brown played better as the season progressed last year.  His first game against Cleveland was certainly bad but he got better.  If he agrees to a multi year deal now, then sign him.  If he asks for the moon, then decide whether to replace him after the season is over.

3 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

You think 95% of the would say he's an average tackle? You spent the whole season arguing with people who disagree with you about his play. Now you are somehow convinced your opinion is the consensus?

trading up to top 5 in t he draft guarantees what? 

nothing..

brown is a good tackle.. give him another year and he will be a great tackle. 

get a solid right tackle in place.. and we have one hell of an offensive line.. 

sign brown.. we would have to trade a fortune to get high enough for an elite tackle. 

27 minutes ago, robgar said:

trading up to top 5 in t he draft guarantees what? 

nothing..

brown is a good tackle.. give him another year and he will be a great tackle. 

get a solid right tackle in place.. and we have one hell of an offensive line.. 

sign brown.. we would have to trade a fortune to get high enough for an elite tackle. 

Yes thats all true. Difference. Currently nobody knows where a good LT may fall in the draft. KC will have a lot of picks.  A Draft pick is 5 years of a reasonable contract vs 20 million plus per year. Can do a lot with that cap savings as demonstrated by the Hill trade. Hard to pay lots of guys 20 million plus.

46 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You think 95% of the would say he's an average tackle? You spent the whole season arguing with people who disagree with you about his play. Now you are somehow convinced your opinion is the consensus?

you lost me on that one. Ive been saying he is average at best, and everyone else seemed to think he was god tier best LT in the league. now it seems like most people are saying he is average.

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

you lost me on that one. Ive been saying he is average at best, and everyone else seemed to think he was god tier best LT in the league. now it seems like most people are saying he is average.

I don't know many that said God tier. Most were saying what they are now. He is not elite but improved. We spent money on him for the trade, give him this year and possibly tag again next year. He was above average and with the whole line being new, he improved.  Average at best? I would love to see his game by game ratings to show this.

6 hours ago, DieHard said:

If Brown kills it I don't think there will be issues with paying him. That extra 2-3 million is probably the calculated risk of waiting. Obviously this all depends on the assumption that he wants to be paid north of 20 million. 

If Brown doesn't cut it then that big money could go to a proven free agent LT or a defensive player that will free up the 1st round pick. The worst case scenario is another tag for Brown and either trading him for a high pick that will bring in the LT or keeping him around for another year. 

Certain positions I prefer the proven commodity.  LT is one of them.

KC always picks low and LTs with elite "potential" are usually gone by then.  Trading major capital move up into the top 10 to draft one is a huge gamble.  You could end up with Willie Roaf, or Trezelle Jenkins.

Pay the man.  20MM per will look like a bargain 3 years from now.

56 minutes ago, robgar said:

you guys are cute.. we can trade him like he's an elite tackle.. but we shouldnt keep him cuz he's not. 

some of yall are just seriously, seriously confused.. 

Like worse than me back when i was drinking a lot. 

Well its more like how do you want to spend 20 mil on the roster. An example would be

Option A: Brown Jr.

Option B: trade Brown for a 3rd or 4th (or let walk and get back a 3rd or 4th as compensatory pick). Use the 20 mil to sign an elite defensive end. Use the extra pick and other cap dollars to improve the roster.

yes its a gamble you might not find a better LT, its also a gamble to not have cap dollars available for other positions. Have to decide which will be easier to replace

29 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Well its more like how do you want to spend 20 mil on the roster. An example would be

Option A: Brown Jr.

Option B: trade Brown for a 3rd or 4th (or let walk and get back a 3rd or 4th as compensatory pick). Use the 20 mil to sign an elite defensive end. Use the extra pick and other cap dollars to improve the roster.

yes its a gamble you might not find a better LT, its also a gamble to not have cap dollars available for other positions. Have to decide which will be easier to replace

Don't forgot option B also has the added benefit of possibly getting Mahomes The Franchise murdered on the field.  So.... yay?

9 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I don't know many that said God tier. Most were saying what they are now. He is not elite but improved. We spent money on him for the trade, give him this year and possibly tag again next year. He was above average and with the whole line being new, he improved.  Average at best? I would love to see his game by game ratings to show this.

Fwiw, after week 5 PFF had him as a low top 10 rated pass blocker iirc, and the number 2 overall run blocker for the season.  He had the most pass set snaps at tackle in the league.  First 5 games brought his overall grade down quite a bit since season grades are cumulative.

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Fwiw, after week 5 PFF had him as a low top 10 rated pass blocker iirc, and the number 2 overall run blocker for the season.  He had the most pass set snaps at tackle in the league.  First 5 games brought his overall grade down quite a bit since season grades are cumulative.

What I thought, he improved and was above average to say the least. This year, if he keeps it going, he will show his worth. 

11 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

What I thought, he improved and was above average to say the least. This year, if he keeps it going, he will show his worth. 

How would you feel if KC extends him now at 20 million+? Honest question. 

On 5/19/2022 at 6:09 AM, oldtimer said:

it's one thing to have an opinion but you beat it like a dead horse that is where the frustration comes in. Everybody knows  you think  Brown is sub par  but since Veach & Co dont agree your just pissing in a fan. Write them a letter  and please once they quit laughing maybe you'll get  a response and you can post it up.

Thanks for creating this topic. 73 responses and still going strong. Lots of good discussion and contribution.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

How would you feel if KC extends him now at 20 million+? Honest question. 

I mean if they liked what they saw the last 10 games, what they see in practice and his improvements then why not? It would put him about 8th or so paid tackle. If we could get him to 18 mil then it is around or outside the top 10.

Thing is, give him the 20 mil average but make all the signing bonus etc up front now. He is counting 17 mil already, use that and back end it so the last year or 2 he is able to be cut. If by year 3 or 4 he ain't worth that salary, then extend him or rework it. This way we pay 18 mil a year for the first 3 years or 4 and go from there.