Screw Orlando Brown

14 minutes ago, xen said:

I think some of you need to learn how to read.  They haven't started negotiating due to lack of representation so he hasn't asked for anything yet.  The article posted said one of the agents pitched him on asking to be the highest paid (which i would expect at least 1 agent to do) but he's still interviewing agents.  Then the blogger speculated on the amount if that's the way it goes.

This is as far as we are right now.  Sure he may end up picking that agent and asking for the moon but it's anyone's guess right now.

I think we can all read. Yes what you say is obvious. Nobody knows for sure. Its still worth discussing. Its just BS anyway. 

We also know he has not signed the tag. The drama goes forward.

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes grain of salt until we know for sure. Did KC not get a second round from Balt?

What if he holds out?

What if he does want the highest contract? 

Honest questions. How would you feel about that?

Exactly, we moved back from the first to the second and drafted bolton, who they could have easily drafted in the first.

we also gave up a 3rd, 4th and 5th and got a 6th back

in the event we traded brown for a mid round pick or lost him in free agency and got a 3rd back in compensation it means we essentially would get a one or two year rental of brown for a 4th round pick.

thats why i never understood this argument that we gave up too much capital to let him walk

25 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Exactly, we moved back from the first to the second and drafted bolton, who they could have easily drafted in the first.

we also gave up a 3rd, 4th and 5th and got a 6th back

in the event we traded brown for a mid round pick or lost him in free agency and got a 3rd back in compensation it means we essentially would get a one or two year rental of brown for a 4th round pick.

thats why i never understood this argument that we gave up too much capital to let him walk

You're right in that all in all we did not give up a ton for a LT.  Depending on which chart you use it was anywhere from a late 1st to late 2nd total value.

If we did go that route, a tag and trade next offseason would make more sense to me.  

On 5/28/2022 at 9:47 AM, AFCWEST said:

I think he will hold out and not play under the tag. He showed his colors as a Raven. I hope he does not do it.

Crazy when you think we traded for him to play the position he wanted and when he did at slightly above avg he thinks he is elite.  I don’t mind paying for him but 5/105 is my limit.  There is a little wiggle room if he wants the apy higher with lower guarantees then I guess technically he could win the “highest paid” prize while being cutable after 3 years.  

He is a good player and we need him but he doesn’t have much leverage.  We offered a mid 2 for him and will get at least 2 years for him and at worst a comp 3rd.   Not sure who is in his corner but he needs to participate and show the org that he is serious about football if he wants that kind of money.   Not hiring an agent at this point and sitting out aren’t gonna to help him. 

On 5/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, AFCWEST said:

I think he will hold out and not play under the tag. He showed his colors as a Raven. I hope he does not do it.

If he had an agent may be we could have traded him before the draft or he could be working around the clock to set up a trade for him that would be an option but at this point in this career not playing a whole season isn't going to get him the big bucks. I don't know how long he can wait before he signs the tag but may be he'll wait until the deadline to do so. However he's not a top FA at this point and needs to showcase as much as he can for that big deal which won't come without being on the field. 

30 minutes ago, sith13 said:

If he had an agent may be we could have traded him before the draft or he could be working around the clock to set up a trade for him that would be an option but at this point in this career not playing a whole season isn't going to get him the big bucks. I don't know how long he can wait before he signs the tag but may be he'll wait until the deadline to do so. However he's not a top FA at this point and needs to showcase as much as he can for that big deal which won't come without being on the field. 

Yes if only some of these guys were realists. Common sense...nope.... LOL  I hope he does not hold out but I think he will. 

9 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes if only some of these guys were realists. Common sense...nope.... LOL  I hope he does not hold out but I think he will. 

The only thing that may dissuade him is the fact that he earned so little with his rookie deal and may not be able to risk sitting out with no paycheck for an entire year. However as you implied they are rarely realists.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Highly unlikely he sits out. I don’t know anything about his situation but few actually do that. And it usually doesn’t pay off when they do.

I think he will hold out of camp and agree not likely to sit out.

Make no mistake: #Chiefs want to extend 3x Pro Bowl LT Orlando Brown before the July 15 deadline. I’m told Brown, just 26, has been in interview mode with multiple agents - as Kansas City stands by. Brett Veach is a huge fan of Brown and knows he’s essential to long-term success.

Brown probably can't find an agent who will promise the top OT contract so he keeps looking and delaying.  I'm not worried  He'll most certainly play for the Chiefs this year.  Two years service in exchange for a late first is pretty expensive, but it's not the worst thing that could happen.  

On 5/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, Lamardirts said:

Crazy when you think we traded for him to play the position he wanted and when he did at slightly above avg he thinks he is elite.  I don’t mind paying for him but 5/105 is my limit.  There is a little wiggle room if he wants the apy higher with lower guarantees then I guess technically he could win the “highest paid” prize while being cutable after 3 years.  

He is a good player and we need him but he doesn’t have much leverage.  We offered a mid 2 for him and will get at least 2 years for him and at worst a comp 3rd.   Not sure who is in his corner but he needs to participate and show the org that he is serious about football if he wants that kind of money.   Not hiring an agent at this point and sitting out aren’t gonna to help him. 

I agree. I think Veach is playing this perfectly at this point. 

Orlando Brown’s contract extension will be based on potential not present

It’s important to remember that any contract extension given to Orlando Brown Jr. by the Kansas City Chiefs is based on potential.

There is a throughline of doubt cast upon any and all conversations (it seems) happening between fans in Chiefs Kingdom about the looming contract extension likely to be given to left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. While most fans were into the idea of locking up Brown to a long-term deal, the news that he wants to be the NFL’s highest-paid left tackle has left some fans frustrated and even disinterested in such a deal.

In a day and age where young players set a new market high with every big-time extension, it does sound troubling for one player to want to occupy so much of a team’s salary cap. The Chiefs were forced to send Tyreek Hill packing this spring to the Miami Dolphins when it was clear his $30M annual hopes were going to hamstring the organization at other positions.

The idea that Brown wants to be paid like the best would likely go down a bit smoother if Brown had elevated his game considerably with the Chiefs while protecting Patrick Mahomes in his first season with the Chiefs. That said, Brown had noticeable hiccups along the way as he learned how to operate with a new quarterback, new teammates up front, a new coaching staff, and a new playbook.

Brown’s agent has all of the leverage he needs to demand the deal. Brown is young, has been to three straight Pro Bowls, is by far the best option available on the market, and the Chiefs are already heavily invested in keeping him around. All of this can make fans feel a bit frustrated knowing Brown is going to make so much.

But here’s the important note for the Chiefs’ front office (and for fans to know): The Chiefs aren’t rewarding Brown for a job well done until now. They’re paying him for the way they believe he will play for the next few seasons.

Brown’s potential new mega-contract is all about potential instead of present production. That’s not to say he hasn’t given the Chiefs solid production to date, but any contract is all about later since the past is the past. Any team paying for someone’s legacy is a team ready to make major changes in leadership, and that’s definitely not the Chiefs.

Back to Brown’s youth for an instant. The fifth-year lineman just turned 26-years-old this month and has never missed a single game in his NFL career. Locking him up for, let’s say, the next five seasons takes him through age 30. That seems a solid bet for a durable player to continue getting better and more comfortable (meaning instincts can truly take over) at a new position for a new team with new faces all around.

Looking at Brown’s body of work and declaring he’s not worth such a lucrative deal is thinking backward about what the contract is rewarding. Brown is young and already quite excellent and there are far more reasons to believe he can continue to get better in years to come than not. That’s what the Chiefs are paying for and that’s what makes it the right move.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/05/31/orlando-brown-contract-extension-chiefs-potential-not-present/?a_aid=11111&fbclid=IwAR1TZINoEk02MWajP9vct7-HGbqGpoSTQ45ypIWVnXzqGnGj24KUuKwC-Wg

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

So how do we determine Brown's potential is actually worth the top LT money in the market? That approach got us stuck with Clark and LDT that come to mind right away. 

They see his improvement over the course of the year and believe he still has room to improve.  

Also it will based on things we don't see. How well does he take to coaching.  Is he working on those things.  His work ethic in practice and away from practice as well as his attitude. Is he putting in the work to become better.     The guys making the decision on this see a whole lot more than we do and have a better idea on his potential than we do.  

Are they going to be wrong at times. Absolutely.  They arent above reproach.  Could very well be wrong with Brown depending on the contract. 

I think Hitchens is better comparison.  Clark had production.  13 sacks the year before we traded for him and 9 the before that.  I'm not sure they expected him to get better but just be the player he was in Seattle.  Didn't happen.   LDT was Dorsey.  Have too hope Veach is better at it than he was.  

17 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

They see his improvement over the course of the year and believe he still has room to improve.  

Also it will based on things we don't see. How well does he take to coaching.  Is he working on those things.  His work ethic in practice and away from practice as well as his attitude. Is he putting in the work to become better.     The guys making the decision on this see a whole lot more than we do and have a better idea on his potential than we do.  

Are they going to be wrong at times. Absolutely.  They arent above reproach.  Could very well be wrong with Brown depending on the contract. 

I think Hitchens is better comparison.  Clark had production.  13 sacks the year before we traded for him and 9 the before that.  I'm not sure they expected him to get better but just be the player he was in Seattle.  Didn't happen.   LDT was Dorsey.  Have too hope Veach is better at it than he was.  

Totally agree but I think those are the criteria to determine whether or not he deserves a long-term deal as opposed to making him the highest paid in the NFL. The title of highest paid should go to a player that has proven to be elite. Based on his progression throughout the season I think Brown is worth a long-term deal but definitely not sold on him getting the highest contract out there. 

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

Totally agree but I think those are the criteria to determine whether or not he deserves a long-term deal as opposed to making him the highest paid in the NFL. The title of highest paid should go to a player that has proven to be elite. Based on his progression throughout the season I think Brown is worth a long-term deal but definitely not sold on him getting the highest contract out there. 

You're completely ignoring the market.  If you are young and considered top 10 at your position you're likely going to reset the market if you have any leverage at all (he is and he does)

That did KC has an amazing cap and contract guy in Brandt Tillis.